2022 CX-5 Preferred - Bad transmission at 7.3k miles

Before I start, I chatted with Teddy from this thread.

I bought my 22' Preferred NA CX5 8 months ago with 3 miles on the odometer. I broke it in properly and drove it carefully.

At around 6500 miles I had to drive to DFW from Tulsa OK for work which is roughly 4 hours. Driving down everything was fine, driving back I noticed a whine that was mostly noticeable with the radio off. I put it off as it did not impair driving the car plus I was 2.5 hours away from any dealer.

Called up my dealer which is an hour away and asked about getting a loaner as I really had no time to be down without transportation. They scheduled me a month away which was fine as I had no idea my issue was this severe and just dealt with the noise.

Dropped it off at the dealer and received a call from their master technician the following day. The technician was actually very thorough IMO, he took his time and properly diagnosed the issue. He drove the car and heard it, he put it up on the lift and gave it gas and heard it coming from the transmission. He had to call Mazda corporate and they requested a video of the noise, afterwards they approved a transmission replacement. Only issue is the trans is currently on backorder with an ETA of 3/1/2023. We'll see what happens, I'm not upset about winning the lottery on a bad transmission, its just bad luck.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, it really is refreshing to see other trade workers taking pride in their jobs and being dedicated to their customer. I was honestly expecting a game of cat and mouse by the dealer.

Edit1: fixed link to the correct thread.

So often all we hear are complaints about bad dealers.

It seems that you're having another experience entirely. A good experience?

Why not name the dealer and give em a shout out?

Yeah, it happens. Good report on the dealer shop. My local dealer had good people, then a management change and went to full "stealership" mode. Went through several "stealership" managers and now seems to have gone run circle back to good management.

Question for you @Symbol , do you get to keep the loaner from now until your car is fixed or did they put you back in your vehicle to limp along until new trans comes in?

So often all we hear are complaints about bad dealers.

It seems that you're having another experience entirely. A good experience?

Why not name the dealer and give em a shout out?
Oh heck yeah, Sorry I was a little sleep deprived yesterday. It’s Nelson Mazda.

Yeah, it happens. Good report on the dealer shop. My local dealer had good people, then a management change and went to full "stealership" mode. Went through several "stealership" managers and now seems to have gone run circle back to good management.

Question for you @Symbol , do you get to keep the loaner from now until your car is fixed or did they put you back in your vehicle to limp along until new trans comes in?
I keep the loaner until it’s fixed. I think that’s the best route because I’m on call 24/7 at work some weeks and can’t risk a break down.

Had a CX50 Turbo, after a week it was time for an oil change on that so they threw me in a CX9 for now.

I’m pretty sure it had fluid, it would have blown up (it’s still drivable) long before 7.3k miles.
In early days there’s a TSB for the whining noise from the SkyActiv-Drive transmission. The front input shaft bearing is the culprit which had been worn out prematurely. Mazda had modified the transmission front casing to prevent the problem.

Many CX-5 owners who checked the ATF level from factory have found the ATF level is low from factory:

Before I start, I chatted with Teddy from this thread.

I bought my 22' Preferred NA CX5 8 months ago with 3 miles on the odometer. I broke it in properly and drove it carefully.

At around 6500 miles I had to drive to DFW from Tulsa OK for work which is roughly 4 hours. Driving down everything was fine, driving back I noticed a whine that was mostly noticeable with the radio off. I put it off as it did not impair driving the car plus I was 2.5 hours away from any dealer.

Called up my dealer which is an hour away and asked about getting a loaner as I really had no time to be down without transportation. They scheduled me a month away which was fine as I had no idea my issue was this severe and just dealt with the noise.

Dropped it off at the dealer and received a call from their master technician the following day. The technician was actually very thorough IMO, he took his time and properly diagnosed the issue. He drove the car and heard it, he put it up on the lift and gave it gas and heard it coming from the transmission. He had to call Mazda corporate and they requested a video of the noise, afterwards they approved a transmission replacement. Only issue is the trans is currently on backorder with an ETA of 3/1/2023. We'll see what happens, I'm not upset about winning the lottery on a bad transmission, its just bad luck.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, it really is refreshing to see other trade workers taking pride in their jobs and being dedicated to their customer. I was honestly expecting a game of cat and mouse by the dealer.

Edit1: fixed link to the correct thread.
Did the mechanic give you an idea of what went wrong?

Sounds like the same issue I had. The dealer installed a 'mazda remanufactured' transmission in mine. - without giving me the option for a new one -

From talking with my seasoned automotive technician friends they all came to the conclusion it was a failing bearing.

It all happened at around 10k miles. I'm at 25k miles now and everything is fine.

Sounds like the same issue I had. The dealer installed a 'mazda remanufactured' transmission in mine. - without giving me the option for a new one -
Well, most orf time when the car manufacture is replacing an engine and transmission under warranty, it’ll be a re-manufactured unit. Mazda is no exceptions.

1-yr warranty is typical on OE parts replaced out of factory warranty.

Grey area is... says, you have 6 months left in OE warranty, and you got a refurbished transmission .... now. What is the warranty on that transmission?
6 months or 1 yr?
I am guessing 1 yr, but I am not sure.

I believe the warranty will be as long as the original powertrain warranty.
[/QUOTE

Grey area is... says, you have 6 months left in OE warranty, and you got a refurbished transmission .... now. What is the warranty on that transmission?
6 months or 1 yr?

Yeah and that's fine and dandy on a driveshaft or alternator, etc. But it sucks when they're giving you a refurbished engine/transmission that was replaced due to their defect from the start.

6 months or 1 yr?

Yeah that's fine and dandy for alternator or driveshaft. Kinda sucks when it's a refurbished engine/tranny replaced cause it was defective in first place.

Went back to the dealer last Friday to swap loaner cars (It was due for service) and they informed me it still looks like its going to be until 3/1/23 for the trans, no updates.

Got a 23' CX5 Premium Plus as a loaner, feels weird not having the power lift gate and it being 3-4k more expensive than my 22 PFD.

Back