2022 CX-5 NA oil level question

Usually do my own oil changes and with 15k miles im on the third. I buy a 5 qt mobil-1 / 0-20 full syn oil and the manual says 4.8 qts with filter - ususlly it lands right between min-max but this time im at the max or a hair over as i used the entire 5qts. My guess is the cx5 has an overfill code but this seems like a minor overfill. Anyone have a comment on doing yet a second oil change to get it down 0.2 qts?

Ocd possibly in play here. THNX

You're fine being just slightly over the Max line. Many users here like having that extra margin for just-in-case scenarios like oil leaks, and probably fill to the same level you're at with zero issues.

You're fine being just slightly over the Max line. Many users here like having that extra margin for just-in-case scenarios like oil leaks, and probably fill to the same level you're at with zero issues.
Appreciate that - Nothing seems to be exact or perfect on any vehicle ive owned - since its new im still in the learning curve -
My understanding is there is an overfill code , and the check eng light comes on as well - so not interested in seeing either of those -

Usually do my own oil chsnges and with 15k miles im on the third- I buy a 5 qt mobil-1 / 0-20 full syn oil and the manual says 4.8 qts with filter - ususlly it lands right between min-max - but this time im at the max or a hair over as i used the entire 5qts - my guess is the cx5 has an overfill code but this seems like a minor overfill - anyone have a comment on doing yet a second oil change to get it down 0.2 qts ?
ocd possibly in play here -THNX
The fluid capacity specs in your CX-5 owner’s manual are approximate. The actual fluid capacities vary and they can be up to 66% off (on rear differential gear oil capacity: 0.45 / 0.39 quart spec; 0.75 quart actual). Your 2022 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA needs 5.25 quarts to take the oil level to the Max mark. Your previous oil changes using 5 quarts is fine and most DIYers do that way although I always use 5.25 quarts. The oil level will be in between the Min and Max marks with 5 quarts. If you use 5 quarts of oil for oil change this time and the oil level is over the Max mark, there’re only a couple of possibilities. For one you didn’t give enough time to drain the oil completely with cold engine, or the vehicle didn’t park on a level ground during the oil change. The second possibility is you use an aftermarket oil filter which is smaller than OEM oil filter.

Don’t worry about draining some oil for this minor overfill which isn’t because you used too much oil with 5 quarts. Most dealers will always overfill the oil during the oil change anyway.

The fluid capacity specs in your CX-5 owner’s manual are approximate. The actual fluid capacities vary and they can be up to 66% off (on rear differential gear oil capacity: 0.45 / 0.39 quart spec; 0.75 quart actual). Your 2022 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA needs 5.25 quarts to take the oil level to the Max mark. Your previous oil changes using 5 quarts is fine and most DIYers do that way although I always use 5.25 quarts. The oil level will be in between the Min and Max marks with 5 quarts. If you use 5 quarts of oil for oil change this time and the oil level is over the Max mark, there’re only a couple of possibilities. For one you didn’t give enough time to drain the oil completely with cold engine, or the vehicle didn’t park on a level ground during the oil change. The second possibility is you use an aftermarket oil filter which is smaller than OEM oil filter.

Don’t worry about draining some oil for this minor overfill which isn’t because you used too much oil with 5 quarts. Most dealers will always overfill the oil during the oil change anyway.
Thanks / I use only OE parts and not value line stuff either. ~ I use a level to get a good drain - and wait 30 minutes - and suspect there was a cavity that held a bit from draining out - based on where the cylinders stopped - but what you said makes sense that mfgrs build in a wide margin of error as most dealers are pretty sloppy with oil levels etc - appreciate the help !
Thanks again

I always change my own oil & filter. I dump in 5 quarts and call it a day.

Thanks / I use only OE parts and not value line stuff either. ~ I use a level to get a good drain - and wait 30 minutes - and suspect there was a cavity that held a bit from draining out - based on where the cylinders stopped - but what you said makes sense that mfgrs build in a wide margin of error as most dealers are pretty sloppy with oil levels etc - appreciate the help !
Thanks again
So based on the description you provided on your oil change, your minor overfill showing on the dipstick with only 5 quarts of oil filled is really a mystery. I’d imagine you use the same way to check your dipstick, when the engine is hot or check it the first thing in the morning before the engine start. May be you should do another oil level check with cold engine in the morning as the oil level sometimes is hard to read on the dipstick when the oil is hot on the CX-5. No need to worry about the overfill code as there’s none on the CX-5. And you can try 5 quarts again in next oil change after enough drain time and see what is the oil level and let us know.

I’ve changed the oil on my 2016 CX-5 9 times and each time I use 5.2 ~ 5.25 quarts consistently to make the oil level at the Full mark of the dipstick. And my 2.5L NA has no cylinder deactivation that’s the only major difference between mine and yours.

Last edited:
As long as the level is between 1/2 to max, I am happy. A 5-quart jug accomplishes this level.
Even on your 2.5T? Mazda says 5.1 quarts for the 2.5T which is 0.3 quart more than your old 2.5L NA on the spec sheet. Some 2.5T owners claim they need 5.5 quarts for the oil change.

5quarts on my 2022 Turbo gets it to the middle on the dipstick between min and max.
On my non-turbo it gets it a bit higher above the middle. Thailand oem oil filter on both.

⋯ It's also common for the amount of oil in the containers not to be exactly 5 qts
That makes me think may be the OP somehow got a Canadian or Mexican spec metric 5-liter (5.28 quarts) jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic oil which definitely will make the oil level higher than before?

So based on the description you provided on your oil change, your minor overfill showing on the dipstick with only 5 quarts of oil filled is really a mystery. I’d imagine you use the same way to check your dipstick, when the engine is hot or check it the first thing in the morning before the engine start. May be you should do another oil level check with cold engine in the morning as the oil level sometimes is hard to read on the dipstick when the oil is hot on the CX-5. No need to worry about the overfill code as there’s none on the CX-5. And you can try 5 quarts again in next oil change after enough drain time and see what is the oil level and let us know.

I’ve changed the oil on my 2016 CX-5 9 times and each time I use 5.2 ~ 5.25 quarts consistently to make the oil level at the Full mark of the dipstick. And my 2.5L NA has no cylinder deactivation that’s the only major difference between mine and yours.
Yes - I am torn between the hot/cold oil level check - as we know Mazda reccomends checking after driving while still hot - I prefer the coldcheck as its much easier to read - So cold its spot on top marker -Im pretty sure theres zero harm here - but often from these minor issues come bigger revelations- none so far - but I believe for whatever reason -The CX-5 NA prior to 2022 had a 5.2 qt engine oil capacity with filter - now , my 22 is 4.8 qts with filter - Yes cylinder deactivation , which made the purchase decision more difficult - In the end I relied on Mazdas 2022 consumer reports award as the most reluable car maker on the planet ....and that they had the deactivation thing right - so far so good - I can monitor the cylinders while driving .

Thanks again for the feedback

Gracias

Just put 5 qts and call it a day. It's also common for the amount of oil in the containers not to be exactly 5 qts
Yes! This. Maybe measure the oil out of the jug first. I've seen different oil levels over time form a jug dump, I never took the time to measure the amount first coming out of the bottle.

Seconds after the accidence which activated the air bag I got out, walked around to survey the damage.
WOW! Glad to hear you weren't injured. We don't want to lose a 'senior member of the board'.

Back