2021 CX-5…Machine grey or black paint?

:
Miata and CX-5
My son is considering colors he may choose for a 2021 CX-5, and he has narrowed it down to either machine grey or black. I've never owned a vehicle with either of those colors so I can't advise him from personal experience.
If you've had a dark grey or black vehicle, or both, please post here any helpful opinions you have about these colors. Thanks
smile.gif

I have the machine grey. The black looks great when clean and polished. Next day, it looks dirty just from dust sitting there and especially after driving it around. More so if it’s been driving out in the rain. They grey can take a bit more daily dirt before it looks dirty. Biggest difference you’ll find is if/when you need a panel painted, the grey is harder to match and blend. Also, there’s a premium charge for the grey when purchasing.
Depends on how much of a car guy your son is…. If he’s a bit of a fanatic, he’ll be out there washing it twice a day. :)

I also have machine grey. It looks great when clean, little duller when dirty. I would take it over black. Black shows too many scratches, swirls, etc. Black also takes more care.

If you like the look of dust, and to see every smallest swirl in the sun reflection, get the black. I would stay away from Gray for the exact same reason, but that's just me. I like silver and white cars. Five years later on my white car it's almost impossible to see any scratches or swirl marks, though there are just as many as are on a black car

I have the machine gray.

Black - Pros - Always a sharp style that looks great when clean and polished
Easy to find complementary new wheels/rims. everything goes
with black.
Cons - shows dust/dirt easily.

Machine Gray - Pros - looks awesome
Doesn't show the dirt/dust that much
Cons - hard to match the paint if ever scratched or wrecked.
hard to find wheels/rims that contrast or match the
vehicle.

Do what I did. travel to a dealership that has both and have them park them side by side. That made the decision for machine gray an easy one.
Soul Red would have been my second choice. Black third(The SO was pushing for black)

Their whites and blues were just too bland for me. Other car companies have sharp dark blues and popping whites.

Last edited:
Easy decision for the machine gray. Black paint heats up the car more than any other paint color. It makes a big difference in sunny conditions.

Silver is what I choose for some heat rejection and looking shiny while dirty (which machine gray also does).

Silver is what I choose for some heat rejection and looking shiny while dirty (which machine gray also does)
(y) for Silver. My last 5 vehicles including both 2019 CX-5 GTR (first was rear ended & totaled) were silver. Great for "looking clean" when dirty. Gray looks nice when it's clean but my wife's previous gray Toyota van really showed scratches.

To each their own. I agree you have to see a specific vehicle in person to truly gauge your like or dislike.

If you've had a dark grey or black vehicle, or both, please post here any helpful opinions you have about these colors. Thanks
smile.gif

I once owned a Flamenco Black Pearl 1999 Honda Accord. Currently I own a Machine Grey Metallic 2018 CX-9.

Black is absolutely stunning when the car is clean and the paint is well maintained. Naturally, it has a ton of depth, and can be easy to paint match. But as others have said, it gets noticeably dirty very fast, especially if it's a daily driver.

I like the machine gray because of the way it looks in different lighting. The lighter colour makes it easier to notice and appreciate the car's body lines.

I'm a little bit more particular than most about cars. Because of that, on a sunny day, slightly dusty and/or paint-swirled cars are easy for me to notice, even at a distance. Doesn't matter what colour they are. I don't know if your son is the same way, but if he is, I would steer him towards the machine grey instead of the black.

One thing to note - if he goes for gray, don't bother spending money on a Mazda touch-up paint pen, the colour match is terrible.

Attaching pics of my cars for reference. The Accord was freshly washed and waxed, but before I learned how to use a polisher. I could have made the paint look a bit better with the additional experience I have now. The CX-9 pics were taken with better cameras, with the last two being taken at different times on the same day.

Accord1.jpg

img_20190707_132206-jpg.227644

side-at-sunrise.jpg

side-at-noon.JPG

Here's a related thread:

I'll never understand why people need help choosing colors. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing looks as good as a freshly washed and waxed black car. Facts. :cool:

I once owned a Flamenco Black Pearl 1999 Honda Accord. Currently I own a Machine Grey Metallic 2018 CX-9.

Black is absolutely stunning when the car is clean and the paint is well maintained. Naturally, it has a ton of depth, and can be easy to paint match. But as others have said, it gets noticeably dirty very fast, especially if it's a daily driver.

I like the machine gray because of the way it looks in different lighting. The lighter colour makes it easier to notice and appreciate the car's body lines.

I'm a little bit more particular than most about cars. Because of that, on a sunny day, slightly dusty and/or paint-swirled cars are easy for me to notice, even at a distance. Doesn't matter what colour they are. I don't know if your son is the same way, but if he is, I would steer him towards the machine grey instead of the black.

One thing to note - if he goes for gray, don't bother spending money on a Mazda touch-up paint pen, the colour match is terrible.

Attaching pics of my cars for reference. The Accord was freshly washed and waxed, but before I learned how to use a polisher. I could have made the paint look a bit better with the additional experience I have now. The CX-9 pics were taken with better cameras, with the last two being taken at different times on the same day.

View attachment 305598

img_20190707_132206-jpg.227644

View attachment 305599

View attachment 305600

Here's a related thread:

Thank you for your helpful reply, especially the link to the related thread.

I'll never understand why people need help choosing colors. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing looks as good as a freshly washed and waxed black car. Facts. :cool:
I think OP was looking for ownership experience with specific color(ur).

In my family, I choose brands/models, my wife chooses color.

I think OP was looking for ownership experience with specific color(ur).

In my family, I choose brands/models, my wife chooses color.

Yes, as I've never owned a dark grey or black vehicle I am hoping to read perspectives from people who have owned one or both colors.
It seems most grey owners choose it because they like the looks of the color and it is less prone to scratches, swirl marks, and heat retention than black.
I am not sure why black vehicle owners chose that color, but there sure are a lot of them on the roads, and I guess the reason is they like the look and don't mind the color's propensity to reveal dirt, dust etc...

Yes, as I've never owned a dark grey or black vehicle I am hoping to read perspectives from people who have owned one or both colors.
It seems most grey owners choose it because they like the looks of the color and it is less prone to scratches, swirl marks, and heat retention than black.
I am not sure why black vehicle owners chose that color, but there sure are a lot of them on the roads, and I guess the reason is they like the look and don't mind the color's propensity to reveal dirt, dust etc...
Had white, black, red, blue and gray. Black is awesome when clean/waxed but alot of work to keep it that way. But am loving the gray.

You really need to see in person before buy.

MG is an absolute NIGHTMARE to paint match. I've had paint shops with million dollar booths say they wouldn't touch it. MG is actually black paint, with a layer of proprietary and proprietarily sprayed metal fleck, followed by clear. To get the fleck to all lay the same with the other panels on the car? Voodoux.
Black shows swirls horribly.
Pick your poison.

MG is an absolute NIGHTMARE to paint match. I've had paint shops with million dollar booths say they wouldn't touch it. MG is actually black paint, with a layer of proprietary and proprietarily sprayed metal fleck, followed by clear. To get the fleck to all lay the same with the other panels on the car? Voodoux.
Black shows swirls horribly.
Pick your poison.

Depends on the person/people doing the spraying. In 2018, I had to have both rear doors and both rear quarter panels repainted, as well as a new rear bumper cover that was also repainted. The pics of my CX-9 in the previous post were taken about 8 months after the car was repainted. The bumper cover also matches the liftgate perfectly, which wasn't touched. Tools and equipment come second to experience and skill (at least, when it comes to paint-matching).

As an owner, there is a certain sense of pride you get from getting black paint to look the best that it can. As an additional benefit, anyone who cares about cleaning/detailing their cars will appreciate the level of effort required to get a black car to look as good as it can.

Check out this black RX-8 that had a paint correction done. The guy who did the work says that he didn't have enough time to get it 100% corrected, but wow. It looks stunning.

49506d1501250949-presidential-detailed-2004-mazda-rx-8-img_5432.jpg

49490d1501250910-presidential-detailed-2004-mazda-rx-8-img_5481.jpg

49494d1501250910-presidential-detailed-2004-mazda-rx-8-img_5532.jpg

That's nice, but one wash, even done by hand with a microfiber and swirls come back. Not worth it to me personally. YMMV. Though I'm guessing that those who are asking opinions about car colors are not the same ones that are going to be doing a paint correction regularly
PXL_20211130_161939105.jpg

Coming up to three years with Machine Grey on my 2019 Signature and still loving it. Perfect colour matches after two minor accidents too.
My heart always leaps at the sight of a black model in the showroom. In fact I saw a black Kuro/Carbon with black wheels at the dealer today and I had black Acuras for 20 years, but I’ll stick with dark grey from now on.
I think silver is too 2005 lol.

Back