Best color for '17 CX-5?

:
2020 CX-5 Premium
So, we know we are going for the '17 CX-5. We are down to Machine Grey, Sonic Silver and Soul Red, in that order. Definitely black interior. My biggest concern with Machine Grey is that we are in TX and it gets very hot during the summer.

I know color depends on individual preferences, but I would welcome everyones opinion on which color you would choose.

Sonic silver should not absorb the heat as much plus hides grim/dirt better than the other colours meaning you can get away with less washes

A red car is the cousin of a black car in terms of paint blemish appearance and heat. That said, we have a red '17 and other car is black lol.

The red is striking. So is the machine grey. Silver, in my opinion, is appropriate on rental cars or unmistakable luxury cars (MB).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A red car is the cousin of a black car in terms of paint blemish appearance and heat. That said, we have a red '17 and other car is black lol.

The red is striking. So is the machine grey. Silver, in my opinion, is appropriate on rental cars or unmistakable luxury cars (MB).

White is more rental car colour here but you are right re silver, more for luxury cars

White is more rental car colour here but you are right re silver, more for luxury cars
But dang, is a clean, polished and waxed white car sharp. Especially with dark (not black) wheels.

My last four cars: red, white, black, red. My black car is two months old. Never...ever...ever again. Only got it because it was the only car out of the 15 models on the dealer's lot without a stupid spoiler. Regretted it as soon as I got home. It looks great from 5 feet away, though! ;)

But dang, is a clean, polished and waxed white car sharp. Especially with dark (not black) wheels.

My last four cars: red, white, black, red. My black car is two months old. Never...ever...ever again. Only got it because it was the only car out of the 15 models on the dealer's lot without a stupid spoiler. Regretted it as soon as I got home. It looks great from 5 feet away, though! ;)

Indeed it can be sharp but having it parked on the street day after day is not so good for white coloured car.

I have a Meteor Gray '16 GT. Looking to get the '17 in either red or Deep Crystal Blue (the darker of the two blues). In my case, the car is parked in a garage at home and work. So, I'm not too worried about Texas heat (yeah we get it here as well). Good luck w/ your decision. If I were you, I'd go w/ red. I love the soul red. In my case, the color of the car is up to her (my wife).

Last edited:
Looks like there might be alot of Soul Red CX-5s out there

Good luck with your choice dseag2!

Trying to get excited about black or blue. Black elicits an emotion from me while blue doesn't I just know it's a decent practical regal colour.

Have a feelin black won't be so easy to keep black with the kinda driving I do 10% gravel.

So, we know we are going for the '17 CX-5. We are down to Machine Grey, Sonic Silver and Soul Red, in that order. Definitely black interior. My biggest concern with Machine Grey is that we are in TX and it gets very hot during the summer.

I know color depends on individual preferences, but I would welcome everyones opinion on which color you would choose.
In Texas, you should always try to choose lighter colors such as Sonic Silver and gray interior. Anything dark would be too hot in summer. Sonic Silver does have added benefit like Xeler8ing mentioned. :)

Sonic silver should not absorb the heat as much plus hides grim/dirt better than the other colours meaning you can get away with less washes

I really like Soul Red, but it could very well be the most popular color, most CX-5 I see are this color.

SCR is a brilliant color, just not sure it's for me.
at the moment, I'm leaning towards Machine Gray.

SCR is a brilliant color, just not sure it's for me.
at the moment, I'm leaning towards Machine Gray.

Machine grey was the halo colour for the CX-9. So should still be one of the top colours for the CX-5

For the 2017 the silver and white both look really good. Those colors work really well with the chrome trim and wheels.

I really like Soul Red, but it could very well be the most popular color, most CX-5 I see are this color.

Frankly, red is the last color I'd choose. There are lots of CUVs around: Hondas, Toyotas, Lexii, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, Mazda, (hell, who doesn't build one?) -- and a huge percentage of them are red. So much so, the red CUV has become ubiquitous. No thanks.

My 4R is "Blizzard Pearl", and is the best color I've ever owned. Sooo easy to keep looking good.

OTOH, if I buy a CX5 it'll be the wife's car, and she picks the color. She'd buy that red in a quick second.

Back