2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

Yep yep. CX-7 were also known for turbo problems. We*re also talking about a 12 years difference in engineering here. Turbo lag has drastically been cut down by Mazda today (valve,4-3-1 header,etc), and the turbo they use is so tiny, turbo lag isn*t much of an issue...

Lucky for this guy,there will be a non-turbo version available, so go on and get what the heart desires...

Yeah exactly. CX-5 and Skyactiv is completely different engineering from what the CX-7 was, it's not even remotely fair to be comparing the two from that standpoint.

That said, I understand the sentiment of "fewer parts to fail", but the Skyactiv turbo seems to be faring just fine. Not hearing any lag complaints or people having to replace them (though I admit, I don't really peruse the CX-9 forums).

Yeah exactly. CX-5 and Skyactiv is completely different engineering from what the CX-7 was, it's not even remotely fair to be comparing the two from that standpoint.

That said, I understand the sentiment of "fewer parts to fail", but the Skyactiv turbo seems to be faring just fine. Not hearing any lag complaints or people having to replace them (though I admit, I don't really peruse the CX-9 forums).

I've only had my '18 CX-9 for 7.5 months. The car hasn't given me anything to worry about, and others who own 16s do not seem to be reporting any issues with the turbo.

My CX7 turbo had no problems when I sold it at ~ 80,000 miles. The turbo supplier had seal problems which led to excessive oil seepage which caused the problem. Even the replacement units often had problems and by the time Mazda got the cause corrected the damage to the model had been done. I think my CX7 was a nicer vehicle inside, had a few more inches of elbow room and certainly more fun to drive when passing or having a little fun. Waiting on a CX5T to replace my 2014 CX5. Ed

Right the Ford Ecoboost engine line is probably actually more similar to that engine and also hasnt had those problems. I believe they did learn from their mistakes there and havent repeated them with the Skyactiv T which is entirely different.

My CX7 turbo had no problems when I sold it at ~ 80,000 miles. The turbo supplier had seal problems which led to excessive oil seepage which caused the problem. Even the replacement units often had problems and by the time Mazda got the cause corrected the damage to the model had been done. I think my CX7 was a nicer vehicle inside, had a few more inches of elbow room and certainly more fun to drive when passing or having a little fun. Waiting on a CX5T to replace my 2014 CX5. Ed

Yeah I wish I had sold mine at that point haha. My turbo failures were between 90-120k. Great car other than the turbos and frequent EGR valve failures.

I moved on to an X1, but don*t want to own a BMW past warranty so I*m lurking around here doing some research on a 2017+ CX5. Good to know they*ve improved the turbos, although I doubt I*ll splurge on a new 5.

Last edited:

There is a rig I count myself lucky not buying.. Never seen anyone give it reliability kudos.

Almost bought '07 CX-7 in addition to my '07 G35x. The test drive turbo lag alone kept me away. It was worse than my '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo.

I almost picked up a '07 CX-9 but tire alignment was so bad passed as well. I was so surprised they would demo a vehicle with such poor wheel alignment. With transfer case issues...glad I passed on that one as well.

Last edited:
Back