2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

Yep. I'm currently fixing the excesses of my 20s. That is part of what the cx5 was about. I want Bills (house, electric, car, land, insurance) to be handled by my first paycheck of the month, and savings, food, toys to be my 2nd paycheck. So far, I'm slotted right on target for that.

Best thing we did was becoming debt free almost 15 years ago and have been putting money into savings. We continue to stay frugal with buying cars like the CX-5 and recently Civic turbo. Could have paid cash for either and did pay both off in less than a year even though we had 60month 0%. Bugs me now to have a loan sitting there even if it is 0%.

That said the CX-5 has been frustrating in terms of performance. When I ride with my much younger friend in his 17 tuned GTI with dual clutch I think this is what I want next. With the tune and the cost less than $30K for the mid level model I like how fast that car can be in city traffic. My wife's turbo Civic also performs a whole lot better than the CX-5 even though it is more of an economy car.

Being debt free is really nice for many reasons. We could go up a notch or two in terms of cars, but I hope to keep my wits about me on future purchases. I have to say I am conflicted and want to get something more performance oriented but I am also determined to keep the CX-5 for several more years as part of our long term financial plan.

Best thing we did was becoming debt free almost 15 years ago and have been putting money into savings. We continue to stay frugal with buying cars like the CX-5 and recently Civic turbo. Could have paid cash for either and did pay both off in less than a year even though we had 60month 0%. Bugs me now to have a loan sitting there even if it is 0%.

That said the CX-5 has been frustrating in terms of performance. When I ride with my much younger friend in his 17 tuned GTI with dual clutch I think this is what I want next. With the tune and the cost less than $30K for the mid level model I like how fast that car can be in city traffic. My wife's turbo Civic also performs a whole lot better than the CX-5 even though it is more of an economy car.

Being debt free is really nice for many reasons. We could go up a notch or two in terms of cars, but I hope to keep my wits about me on future purchases. I have to say I am conflicted and want to get something more performance oriented but I am also determined to keep the CX-5 for several more years as part of our long term financial plan.

Let me reassure you that the mazda with it’s big lazy 2.5 four cylinder and very conventional 6 speed transmission fit far better into your philosophy of long term investment than any overstretched GTI and fancy twin clutch transmission. The CX-5 combines some modern creature comforts on top of a very proven conventional platform. You’ll go far young man!

I've said it before, can't stand low speed shudder/hestiation of dual clutch transmissions. Thank goodness Mazda is keeping conventional auto trasmissions.

I've said it before, can't stand low speed shudder/hestiation of dual clutch transmissions. Thank goodness Mazda is keeping conventional auto trasmissions.

Yeah, couldn’t agree more to that as My Daily is a ‘12 Focus with the DRY dual clutch. As quirky and over the top aggravating to be in traffic as it is- its at least been consistently aggravating for the 115,000 miles I’ve owned it and managed to not get any worse.

I had a 6 speed VW dual clutch transmission and loved it. Very smooth shifting and trouble-free. The trick was to let up on the brake a second before hitting the gas to avoid squealing the tires.

I had a 6 speed VW dual clutch transmission and loved it. Very smooth shifting and trouble-free. The trick was to let up on the brake a second before hitting the gas to avoid squealing the tires.

It's not the squealing of the tyres. I've driven VW 6 speed dual clutch as well along with Ford Powershift, and my issue is the slow witted response at low speeds when one wants to have quick acceleration whilst already moving.

It's not the squealing of the tyres. I've driven VW 6 speed dual clutch as well along with Ford Powershift, and my issue is the slow witted response at low speeds when one wants to have quick acceleration whilst already moving.

I know what you mean, similar issue with 7 speed dry clutch DSG on my 2012 Skoda Octavia L&K (1.8 TSI). Reversing backwards up a long steep incline to a holiday cottage was a miserable experience. (Burning smell from clutch pack)

Let me reassure you that the mazda with it’s big lazy 2.5 four cylinder and very conventional 6 speed transmission fit far better into your philosophy of long term investment than any overstretched GTI and fancy twin clutch transmission. The CX-5 combines some modern creature comforts on top of a very proven conventional platform. You’ll go far young man!

I will keep my wits about me. It is enticing to be at this place in life being debt free and banking money rather than plop down big cash on a car. There are frustrating moments with that lazy 2.5 (at least one moment each time I drive the CX-5), but I need to keep things in perspective and know the more I put away the sooner there is hope to have some years in retirement. With almost 66K on the CX-5 and paid off since 2013 and a plan to keep it at least another 60K so there is no telling what will be on the market at that time.

What is hard is having a love for fast cars. I spend most of my time watching Youtube videos at night of supercar reviews while my wife watches HGTV.
My absolute favorite is Porsche GT 2R or 3R, but I am quickly falling in love with the McLaren 720S.

Turbo model! ...And still no manual option. No bueno.

I blame all you lazy, auto loving, fellow North Americans for ruining us enthusiasts driving fun.

I can say from experience as I own and regularly drive both the CX-5 and GTI (wet clutch DSG). That the majority of the time the DSG is actually smoother. And in most cases shifts MUCH quicker. Under hard acceleration in the GTI it’s seamless and you don’t even feel it at all where as you definitely do get the shift shock with the Mazda due I believe to it not being able to shift quickly enough for there not to be an interruption in torque delivery.

As far as needing a downshift when tipping into throttle at low speed I think the two feel pretty similar. I like how I can just knock the shifter back once to toggle to sport mode on the GTI whereas on the CX-5 you have that little switch that’s not quite as easy to just toggle when you’re making a maneuver. Also, I can queue the downshift ahead of time with the paddles.

About the only thing that feels less refined in the GTI is occasionally I’ll get a bit more of a tug on the last downshift when decelerating. Only seems to happen when it’s cold too.

I can say from experience as I own and regularly drive both the CX-5 and GTI (wet clutch DSG). That the majority of the time the DSG is actually smoother. And in most cases shifts MUCH quicker. Under hard acceleration in the GTI it’s seamless and you don’t even feel it at all where as you definitely do get the shift shock with the Mazda due I believe to it not being able to shift quickly enough for there not to be an interruption in torque delivery.

As far as needing a downshift when tipping into throttle at low speed I think the two feel pretty similar. I like how I can just knock the shifter back once to toggle to sport mode on the GTI whereas on the CX-5 you have that little switch that’s not quite as easy to just toggle when you’re making a maneuver. Also, I can queue the downshift ahead of time with the paddles.

About the only thing that feels less refined in the GTI is occasionally I’ll get a bit more of a tug on the last downshift when decelerating. Only seems to happen when it’s cold too.

DSG has always been quicker to shift, no question but having also driven them quite abit, I just found them to be rather wanting at low speeds. Doing a three point turn and trying to move off quickly has left me in some quite precarious situations. I've actually counted to 3 after placing into drive and pressing on the accelerator pedal for the car to move.

No such issues with the Mazda 6 speed.

Last edited:
The DSG is miles ahead of the powershift for sure. We had a Fiesta with powershift prior to the Mazda for 7 years roughly. The Mazda transmission imo is better than the powershift but not as good as the DSG (wet clutch) in the GTI. Honestly the Skyactiv has some of its own quirks likely due to their reduced use of the torque converter. I do think I it’s a good transmission and has a nice direct feel.

I don’t know VW must not sell any wet clutches down under but it’s all they use here. They are very smooth and quick in Audi’s too getting praise in reviews that claim they wouldn’t have known there wasn’t a torque converter there.

Hyundai is the other big automaker here selling a dual clutch and theirs is dry. Gets decent reviews but most say it’s not as refined as the DSG. Though Hyundai’s is better than Ford I think. I haven’t spent much time driving a DCT Hyundai personally though.

I would say I had to do a lot of 3 point turns in the ST. The GTI has a very good turning circle and it’s a rare occurrence. But I haven’t ever had a delay I could count out in seconds.

The SkyActiv transmission is tuned to reach the highest gear possible quickly in order to get fuel economy.

Yes it does have some minor quirks but I prefer it over DSG and CVT's any day.

The gearing of the 2.5T CX-5 AWD will be somewhere between what currently exists on the 2.5T 6 & 2.5T CX-9.

The SkyActiv transmission is tuned to reach the highest gear possible quickly in order to get fuel economy.

Yes it does have some minor quirks but I prefer it over DSG and CVT's any day.

The gearing of the 2.5T CX-5 AWD will be somewhere between what currently exists on the 2.5T 6 & 2.5T CX-9.

Agreed. I would definitely gamble that it would be more economical to repair if it croaked.

The DSG is miles ahead of the powershift for sure. We had a Fiesta with powershift prior to the Mazda for 7 years roughly. The Mazda transmission imo is better than the powershift but not as good as the DSG (wet clutch) in the GTI. Honestly the Skyactiv has some of its own quirks likely due to their reduced use of the torque converter. I do think I it’s a good transmission and has a nice direct feel.

I don’t know VW must not sell any wet clutches down under but it’s all they use here. They are very smooth and quick in Audi’s too getting praise in reviews that claim they wouldn’t have known there wasn’t a torque converter there.

Hyundai is the other big automaker here selling a dual clutch and theirs is dry. Gets decent reviews but most say it’s not as refined as the DSG. Though Hyundai’s is better than Ford I think. I haven’t spent much time driving a DCT Hyundai personally though.

I would say I had to do a lot of 3 point turns in the ST. The GTI has a very good turning circle and it’s a rare occurrence. But I haven’t ever had a delay I could count out in seconds.

Thanks for this, I'm considering a 190ps diesel Tiguan next with 7 gears, and AA.

In the UK its known that early dry clutch autos can give problems, while later ones are wet, down side is every few years or 30K? miles transmission oil needs replacing, not cheap.

Last edited:
Here it’s 40k interval for the 6 speed. Definitely not cheap but not the end of the world either. I think the 7 speed might be a longer interval actually. I’d have to go look in my manual t see if it’s called out differently for the R which has the 7 speed. Out of town at the moment though.

Interesting to see the interest in turbo. I get it from a performance standpoint, but frankly one of the reasons Im considering a CX-5 is because it is one of the few CUVs out there without a dang turbo. After replacing the turbo TWICE in my old CX-7 (30k miles apart) despite being a conservative driver, I want nothing to do with those ticking time bombs. Plus the lag is annoying.

Interesting to see the interest in turbo. I get it from a performance standpoint, but frankly one of the reasons I*m considering a CX-5 is because it is one of the few CUVs out there without a dang turbo. After replacing the turbo TWICE in my old CX-7 (30k miles apart) despite being a conservative driver, I want nothing to do with those ticking time bombs. Plus the lag is annoying.

CX-7 and CX-5 are not really comparable, but I understand the sentiment.

Lag has been nearly eliminated in modern turbo engines and when proper R&D is done they are not ticking time bombs.

CX-7 and CX-5 are not really comparable, but I understand the sentiment.

Yep yep. CX-7 were also known for turbo problems. We*re also talking about a 12 years difference in engineering here. Turbo lag has drastically been cut down by Mazda today (valve,4-3-1 header,etc), and the turbo they use is so tiny, turbo lag isn*t much of an issue...

Lucky for this guy,there will be a non-turbo version available, so go on and get what the heart desires...

Back