2019 CX-5 Diesel

@Cluck10 , I agree with you on the engine sound ... Love that low rumble (y). Same as you, I plan to keep it for a long time. Is this your first diesel or have you driven diesels before?

Have you by chance been doing any used oil analysis (UOA)? Free maintenance from Mazda for 30k miles?

I've bought some things ahead of time to keep on my shelf since dealers likely don't keep unicorn parts in stock ... Oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. We don't get much arctic cold temps in cincinnati but I have a couple bottles of diesel fuel winter treatment on the shelf as well.(I keep a fuel filter & diesel treatment with me actually in the car.)

I've been enjoying 32.5mpg for average life travels (commuting and runnin' around) and 35.5 mpg for straight up highway travel. So, as expected, much better than advertised :) .

Do you tow any with yours? I think it does a fantastic job handling a load.

@Cluck10 , I agree with you on the engine sound ... Love that low rumble (y). Same as you, I plan to keep it for a long time. Is this your first diesel or have you driven diesels before?

Have you by chance been doing any used oil analysis (UOA)? Free maintenance from Mazda for 30k miles?

I've bought some things ahead of time to keep on my shelf since dealers likely don't keep unicorn parts in stock ... Oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. We don't get much arctic cold temps in cincinnati but I have a couple bottles of diesel fuel winter treatment on the shelf as well.(I keep a fuel filter & diesel treatment with me actually in the car.)

I've been enjoying 32.5mpg for average life travels (commuting and runnin' around) and 35.5 mpg for straight up highway travel. So, as expected, much better than advertised :) .

You are making me jealous. I wanted the diesel.

You are making me jealous. I wanted the diesel.
Go getchya one! Dooooo eeeeeeeet :p

Plenty of low mile units available including extended CPO powertrain warranties out to what, 84mo / 100k miles?

Prolly pick one up for $25k - $28k

Go getchya one! Dooooo eeeeeeeet :p

Plenty of low mile units available including extended CPO powertrain warranties out to what, 84mo / 100k miles?

Prolly pick one up for $25k - $28k
Can't say I haven't been tempted. I have my 2018 to deal with though :), and I just needlessly replaced all the brakes including rotors.

Plus there's still the matter of dark brown on black interior. I don't get that at all.

Still, jealous though.

So I grew on a farm/ranch. So everything was diesel. Mom had a couple TDIs. So I was looking for a diesel. Didn’t want the Luxury stuff and it’s pretty limited after that. Luckily stumbled on to Mazda.
Right now I’m getting the free Maintenance but once that’s up yes I’ll stock up and do my own maintenance. Ive been wanting to do an oil analysis but will probably do it when I change it myself. Have you had a dealer get the sample?
I am in southern Missouri so haven’t had to worry about diesel treatment until literally today/this week. Will be picking some up and adding it today.
I haven’t towed with it just cause we have a truck to tow with.

Have you had a dealer get the sample?
Both ... I give the dealer a bottle to catch a sample when they change it. I also get samples myself with a small vinyl tube (from home depot) inserted into the dipstick tube. Vacuum suck some up into a bottle.

Just trying to keep an eye on oil levels (for fuel dilution ) and UOA's to monitor for any signs of trouble.

Mrs. HyFlyer and I are out on a couple day get-away down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Enjoying the diesel power and efficiency. Such a well matched powertrain for the cx5. 385mi today through OH KY TN VA NC up into the mountains. Was just above 40 mpg until we got down into more serious terrain. Ended with 37.9 mpg average for the day.

The 2.2 diesel is still a hoot to drive on twisty mountain roads. Made good use of manual mode on the trans to flow with the road mostly just rolling on/off the throttle while holding the gear. Yeah, it's no race car but really pretty decent for a 4000 lb suv!

The other noteworthy thing was the last 50 miles or so of twisty mountain two lane was just behind some heavy rain / thunderstorms that rolled through and roads were wet / water running across in some areas with small limbs down and gravel washes from driveways. I'm running the Continental Cross Contact LX25's and they did a fantastic job on the wet twisty roads. Very solid wet grip that was poised and predictable. Confidence inspiring.

About 55k miles on it now and still loving my skyactiv-d 😁

20220725_110641_HDR.jpg

Mrs. HyFlyer and I are out on a couple day get-away down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Enjoying the diesel power and efficiency. Such a well matched powertrain for the cx5. 385mi today through OH KY TN VA NC up into the mountains. Was just above 40 mpg until we got down into more serious terrain. Ended with 37.9 mpg average for the day.

The 2.2 diesel is still a hoot to drive on twisty mountain roads. Made good use of manual mode on the trans to flow with the road mostly just rolling on/off the throttle while holding the gear. Yeah, it's no race car but really pretty decent for a 4000 lb suv!

The other noteworthy thing was the last 50 miles or so of twisty mountain two lane was just behind some heavy rain / thunderstorms that rolled through and roads were wet / water running across in some areas with small limbs down and gravel washes from driveways. I'm running the Continental Cross Contact LX25's and they did a fantastic job on the wet twisty roads. Very solid wet grip that was poised and predictable. Confidence inspiring.

About 55k miles on it now and still loving my skyactiv-d 😁

View attachment 311875
Thanks for the update. I'm still a little sad I didn't get a diesel, but am also very happy that I do have a 2nd gen CX-5.

What do you estimate your overall fuel economy has been for that 55K miles. I assume you are averaging something in the 30s.

... What do you estimate your overall fuel economy has been for that 55K miles. I assume you are averaging something in the 30s...

32.5 mpg Overall average all inclusive including towing and idle time at work (every morning 5 days a week is about 20min of idling around sites checking facilities and equipment ).

32.5 mpg Overall average all inclusive including towing and idle time at work (every morning 5 days a week is about 20min of idling around sites checking facilities and equipment ).
Do you still have your diesel cx5? How has it been?

Do you still have your diesel cx5? How has it been?
Yes indeed. Pretty much right on 4 years now. Just about 90k miles on it. It's been fantastic and I love driving it everyday. Great power and efficiency. The only issue I've had was of my own making where a wiring harness got loose and rubbed on the plastic DEF tank cover. I had moved it for the hitch installation and it came loose from its new mount on the hitch bracket. It rubbed the insulation off of about 3 wires in the harness and caused some chaos when it got wet from a car wash underbody spray and heavy rain driving. That was last winter and haven't had any issues since that was fixed up and resecured.

My regen cycles are still around 200+/- mile intervals so DPF seems to be running fine with no signs of clogging. UOA's show a good running engine.

I plan on keeping this 2.2 diesel long term so looking forward to seeing how it does.

Thanks for the update. I'm still a little sad I didn't get a diesel, but am also very happy that I do have a 2nd gen CX-5.

What do you estimate your overall fuel economy has been for that 55K miles. I assume you are averaging something in the 30s.
Hi. I bought a new CX5 diesel in Australia in 2015. I thought it was a great car. Comfortable to drive and great fuel economy. Major troubles started st 138000 klms. The chain driving the oil pump broke resulting in a complete engine replacement. Much credit to Mazda Australia for replacing the engine free of charge with a brand new one. My car was way out of the warranty period with many many kilometres over the warranty distance. At 178000 klms the turbo blew. A new genuine turbo was over AUD9000, my Mazda dealer fitted a Garret replacement for a lot less money. The engine needs to be removed to work on the turbo, $2000 in labor cost just for engine removal and refitting. Last week, at 189000 klms one injector failed, quoted $2850 just for one injector, $5050 for the whole job. I had been a Toyota guy up until the CX5, on paper the Mazda looked pretty good so I bought it. I'm so disappointed how it all worked out. This is my first and last Mazda. If you are contemplating buying a CX5 diesel please give it some serious thought.

Hi. I bought a new CX5 diesel in Australia in 2015. I thought it was a great car. Comfortable to drive and great fuel economy. Major troubles started st 138000 klms. The chain driving the oil pump broke resulting in a complete engine replacement. Much credit to Mazda Australia for replacing the engine free of charge with a brand new one. My car was way out of the warranty period with many many kilometres over the warranty distance. At 178000 klms the turbo blew. A new genuine turbo was over AUD9000, my Mazda dealer fitted a Garret replacement for a lot less money. The engine needs to be removed to work on the turbo, $2000 in labor cost just for engine removal and refitting. Last week, at 189000 klms one injector failed, quoted $2850 just for one injector, $5050 for the whole job. I had been a Toyota guy up until the CX5, on paper the Mazda looked pretty good so I bought it. I'm so disappointed how it all worked out. This is my first and last Mazda. If you are contemplating buying a CX5 diesel please give it some serious thought.

Did you shop around for pricing on parts and labour? It sounds like all of this work was quoted and done by the dealer.

Back