2019 CX-5 Coolant problem (CEL = P0126)

Not even. 16 Months. The only thing I can think of is that my Coolant was Below L (low) on the reservoir when this problem manifested. I added coolant, and reset the code, hoping that's what it was, but it came back. I guess the remaining coolant could have been concentrated/cruddy, but I don't know..
Did you add OEM FL22 coolant, or at least FL22 compatible coolant?

Should be getting a response from Mazda in 24-48 in regards to whether they will cover this repair.. Still no word on the differentiation between coolant control valve and thermostat..

Should be getting a response from Mazda in 24-48 in regards to whether they will cover this repair.. Still no word on the differentiation between coolant control valve and thermostat..
Yes, keep us posted.

alright.. Verdict is in ... Mazda is going to cover 80% of the repair, which is about $600, so I will have to pay $120 out of pocket.. I'll take it. Not worth my time and energy to fight for the additional 20%. The rep also told me that had I gotten them to cover it 100% out of warranty, if the new part is defective, Mazda would not be responsible, so by having me pay the 20%, there is a warranty on the new part. Sounds strange. I know.

I still haven't received any information has to how the thermostat differs from the control valve..

alright.. Verdict is in ... Mazda is going to cover 80% of the repair, which is about $600, so I will have to pay $120 out of pocket.. I'll take it. Not worth my time and energy to fight for the additional 20%. The rep also told me that had I gotten them to cover it 100% out of warranty, if the new part is defective, Mazda would not be responsible, so by having me pay the 20%, there is a warranty on the new part. Sounds strange. I know.

I still haven't received any information has to how the thermostat differs from the control valve..
Thanks for the update. If you could, please physically look at the coolant control valve, part no. PYFD-15-16Z, and verify if it includes the thermostat, part no. P502-15-171? What was the MNAO saying about the coolant control valve which is functioning as a thermostat but is not covered under the name of thermostat listed in powertrain warranty?

In any case, you’ve got MNAO taking 80% of responsibility of failed coolant control valve which apparently is problematic with a TSB. Hopefully those CX-5 owners who have a 2.5L with cylinder deactivation should be pay more attention to this coolant control valve before the warranty expires thanks to your report.

Hey, not really sure what you mean.. Should I be requesting this from them? as in physically looking at it.

all my correspondence has been with MNAO

Hey, not really sure what you mean.. Should I be requesting this from them? as in physically looking at it.

all my correspondence has been with MNAO
If I were you I’d ask service advisor to save the failed coolant control valve and give it back to you in the new part box since you paid partial. At least you can ask in advance that you want to look at it at the time you pick up your CX-5, and take some pictures in different angles showing if it does include the conventional thermostat.

If I were you I’d ask service advisor to save the failed coolant control valve and give it back to you in the new part box since you paid partial. At least you can ask in advance that you want to look at it at the time you pick up your CX-5, and take some pictures in different angles showing if it does include the conventional thermostat.
perfect. Thank you for suggesting that!

soo... I've been continuing communication with the MNAO Rep who originally opened my case.. Looks like they're going to try and expedite the repair by getting the piece here sooner than late February.
I still haven't gotten any clear information on the Thermostat/coolant control valve being the same piece.. The rep said he would continue looking into it, but it does seem more and more that the coolant control valve replaced the thermostat.. and if thermostat is listed in the warranty booklet, I can't wrap my head around how they wouldn't cover it under powertrain.

soo... I've been continuing communication with the MNAO Rep who originally opened my case.. Looks like they're going to try and expedite the repair by getting the piece here sooner than late February.
I still haven't gotten any clear information on the Thermostat/coolant control valve being the same piece.. The rep said he would continue looking into it, but it does seem more and more that the coolant control valve replaced the thermostat.. and if thermostat is listed in the warranty booklet, I can't wrap my head around how they wouldn't cover it under powertrain.
I personally believe this new coolant control valve is a motor-driven valve controlling the water flow by PCM. There’s no need to have a traditional wax-controlled thermostat. But Toyota’s variable cooling system in its 203 hp Dynamic Force 2.5L, which has the highest thermal efficiency at 40% ~ 41%, has an electric motor-driven water pump、electronically controlled heated thermostat、and shut-off valves.

88597021-9CE4-43C7-8D5D-8494B0357DDF.jpeg

A44CA63D-C789-4286-82E7-20607DD2A04E.jpeg

91585DE6-5CA2-46CF-95AA-33B80718039F.jpeg

5DDAC667-C0F3-452F-B2BA-41BF8771545B.jpeg

9ED32243-C55F-4180-882A-42E296EF93C0.jpeg

8A1F2015-920B-4BA3-9F97-FEB22F5C1E08.jpeg

B1BC3676-6370-4516-875A-21EB091532B9.jpeg

Welp, bringing the ol' girl into the dealership on Monday for the repair...
Fingers crossed that everything goes well and this problem goes away...

I've been told by service advisor that Coolant control valve and thermostat are two different components.
I've also been told that this is not the first time they've seen this.

I've been told by service advisor that Coolant control valve and thermostat are two different components.
I've also been told that this is not the first time they've seen this.
Yes, that’s why there’s a TSB. And keep the old parts or take pictures if possible.

If coolant control valve and thermostat are two different components, do they replace only control valve or both? They’re at the same location, and the part description does say the coolant control valve, part no. PYFD-15-16Z, includes thermostat, part no. P502-15-171, and “additional parts”. See previous post #47.

I was told two different parts and that only the valve was replaced...
They wouldn't let me have the old one :(.
she's all fixed. Heats up just like she should finally...
On your invoice, is part number for coolant control valve PYFD-15-16Z?

Our 2018 CX-5 had a "thermostat sensor failure" around same time as OP. ~25k miles on the vehicle. I have owned boats for many years and am familiar with thermostats. I have seen some pretty gunked up ones from raw salt water and out of dozens I have handled, have never experienced a thermostat failure. My recent boats have no raw water touching the thermostat (just coolant) and they seem to last forever with no signs of fatigue (but I follow maintenance schedules and still replace as directed).

The part was back ordered and we were without our vehicle for over one month. I found it hard to believe it was that difficult to procure a thermostat until they said it was the "sensor". I stumbled across this thread just now and am going to look for the paper work the dealer gave us to see if its the same issue as this thread. Between the cylinder deactivation, this, dozens of paint chips all over the hood and roof of the vehicle, I dont think we will ever buy a Mazada again.

Our 2018 CX-5 had a "thermostat sensor failure" around same time as OP. ~25k miles on the vehicle. ....
I'm assuming that was the description associated with a DTC code, so do you know what the actual code is? And was a P0126 code set as well?

I'm assuming that was the description associated with a DTC code, so do you know what the actual code is? And was a P0126 code set as well?

Found the service record, yes, here is the write-up:
"Installed PYFD-15-16Z: Valve, water control
Installed 0000-77-508E-20: coolant
Inspected and found that after scanning, card had code P0126, found a SA-017/21, check engine light on with DTC P0126:00 and engine running cooler than normal / poor heater performance / low engine coolant temperature (blue) light on"

Back