2018 Mazda 3 GT - Spider Cracking on Screen

Greetings,

Looking for some advice/guidance. Below is a picture of the spider cracking on my 2018 Mazda 3 GT. I leased for 4 years and purchased the vehicle in Jan 2022. Over the last couple of months I noticed the cracks...from what I can tell the spider cracks are behind the glass. At any rate, I went to my dealer and they advised this is no longer covered by the warranty. They advised the "only" way to rectify this issue is to replace the entire module at $2200.00(cdn)...which includes taxes and installation!!😳. I did a search and made a few calls to scrap yards(or U Pull) around my area and no one has a Mazda 3(2016-2018). Would anyone have any advice or guidance on how I can fix this or direct me to a reputable site for parts? Thanks.

D7C2BBE7-DF29-4425-9E1E-B9BBB2B96CC9_1_105_c.jpeg

There's a tsb for this.
Take it too social media and hope for the best.

Ask them the reasoning for denying your claim especially it's a known issue.

Upvote 0
Attached the tsb
Thank you...I will send this off the Mazda.ca along with a note. As you mentioned it's a known problem. I get my warranty period is over and I'm not looking for a freebie...but what they are charging is ridiculous...what upset me more, they told me it would take under an hour to change!! I found a youtube video where an individual ordered what looked like a protective plastic screen which is snuggled up against the outer glass screen( I have no idea where he found it online) and he changed it himself while filming the whole process. Just a little pissed with my dealer, my wife and I have been Mazda owners for a long time(from the same dealer)...I guess loyalty doesn't take you as far as it use to!!! I'll let you know what Mazda.ca come back with. Again, thanks for the info

Upvote 0
Thank you...I will send this off the Mazda.ca along with a note. As you mentioned it's a known problem. I get my warranty period is over and I'm not looking for a freebie...but what they are charging is ridiculous...what upset me more, they told me it would take under an hour to change!! I found a youtube video where an individual ordered what looked like a protective plastic screen which is snuggled up against the outer glass screen( I have no idea where he found it online) and he changed it himself while filming the whole process. Just a little pissed with my dealer, my wife and I have been Mazda owners for a long time(from the same dealer)...I guess loyalty doesn't take you as far as it use to!!! I'll let you know what Mazda.ca come back with. Again, thanks for the info
Just found a seller on e-bay that sells just the protective screen for $26.00....but for 2014-2016 models only...I've asked if it would fit on a 2018 .

Upvote 0
What part of the country do you live in? Is that the infotainment screen? Wide temperature cycles could do something like that. I use a windshield cover when my car is left out in the sun for a while on a hot, sunny day.

Check the part numbers of the 2014-2016 units and that of the 2018. The dealership parts person can give you that information.

Upvote 0
Just found a seller on e-bay that sells just the protective screen for $26.00....but for 2014-2016 models only...I've asked if it would fit on a 2018 .

I think that screen protector just goes on the outside, on top of the existing (damaged) screen. It won't fix the problem. You would need to replace the entire display unit I think.

This actually just started happening to my 2018 CX-9, but it's so small that I can barely see it.

Upvote 0
What part of the country do you live in? Is that the infotainment screen? Wide temperature cycles could do something like that. I use a windshield cover when my car is left out in the sun for a while on a hot, sunny day.

Check the part numbers of the 2014-2016 units and that of the 2018. The dealership parts person can give you that information.
I live an hour north of Montreal and it is the infotainment screen. I am subject to temperature fluctuations as I park my car outdoors year round. I like the idea of covering up the screen, which I'll start doing if I can this replaced. As for the part in question, the ebay seller advised that the 2014-16 units do not fit on a 2018....the hunt continues! I did advise Mazda.ca of the problem, they responded and advised they will be reaching out to my dealer. More than likely the typical/standard reply...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I think that screen protector just goes on the outside, on top of the existing (damaged) screen. It won't fix the problem. You would need to replace the entire display unit I think.

This actually just started happening to my 2018 CX-9, but it's so small that I can barely see it.

My issue is definitely behind the glass screen. From what I have researched these spider cracks may be due to temperature fluctuations and/or faulty installation at source(probably the reason for the Mazda Service Alert SA-008/18 of Feb 2018...which someone was kind enough to send my way). But if your cracks are minimal...they will in all likelihood spread in due course. Below is a youtube link showing a mazda owner replacing the part he got off of ebay. If you cannot find the service alert let me know I can forward what I received.

Upvote 0
UPDATE/RESOLVE re: Spider Cracks on 2018 Mazda 3 GT

I wrote to Mazda.ca advising of the exorbitant cost to change the infotainment screen($2200.00).
I just received a call from my dealer who advised that Mazda.ca agreed to a good will gesture.
Cost has now been reduced to $500.00 to install a new infotainment screen!! As mentioned, I wasn't looking for a freebie given my warranty has expired...still expensive but a compromis I can live with.

I would like to thank Silly Wabbit for sending me the service alert on this issue.

This is a great forum which I will use going forward as I plan to hold onto my Mazda 3 for sometime.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Back