2018 CX-5: P0455, Clear Liquid Leak at Front of Vehicle, Battery Drained

Good day!

Recently the engine light lit up on my 2018 CX-5. After running the scan, I got the P0455 code. I replaced the gas cap and cleared the code only for it to reappear a couple of days later.

Additionally, I noticed a clear and odorless liquid leaking from the front of the vehicle, near the center. It seems to be water (potentially from the AC), however it also leaks when the AC is off and the car is running.

Finally, my car wouldn't start this morning and I got multiple error messages (keyless system malfunction, front sensor camera malfunction, collision avoidance malfunction, etc.). I tried starting it with my second FOB (to no avail) and tried by pushing the start button with the FOB itself (no luck).

I replaced the battery and the car started fine, and the engine light disappeared (not that that means anything). I have an appointment with my dealer next week.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Could it be an EVAP problem causing the battery to drain or maybe just a coincidence?

I don't see how these two are related.
Have you been topping off gas often? i.e. putting in more gas after clicking off?

Upvote 0
The OP’s CX likely did not start because the battery was shot - they don’t last forever and 3 years is about right for many modern vehicles. Extreme climates also shorten battery life. A bad battery can also cause a plethora of fault lights to show up - replacing the battery would solve those.

No clue as to the colorless odorless fluid, most likely water condensing on the A/C system. Other fluids under the hood are colored and/or have a distinct odor.

Upvote 0
I don't see how these two are related.
Have you been topping off gas often? i.e. putting in more gas after clicking off?
Thanks for the response! I'm afraid I have not been topping it off. I did change the battery and luckily it hasn't died yet. Still getting the P0455 code.

Upvote 0
The OP’s CX likely did not start because the battery was shot - they don’t last forever and 3 years is about right for many modern vehicles. Extreme climates also shorten battery life. A bad battery can also cause a plethora of fault lights to show up - replacing the battery would solve those.

No clue as to the colorless odorless fluid, most likely water condensing on the A/C system. Other fluids under the hood are colored and/or have a distinct odor.
I live in Alaska, so the extreme climate part would make sense! I did replace the battery and so far it's been working well. Still getting the P0455 code however.

Upvote 0
Looking up the P0455 code shows it as a large leak. My understanding is that typically a gas cap leak is a small evap system leak. The code for a small (gas cap) leak is P0442. There is the rest of the system to check (lines, purge valve, etc).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response! I'm afraid I have not been topping it off. I did change the battery and luckily it hasn't died yet. Still getting the P0455 code.
That is good. He meant that if you top it off, you could be flooding the evap system and ruining it.

Upvote 0
That is good. He meant that if you top it off, you could be flooding the evap system and ruining it.
5B9E5B6A-C4B0-485B-AB66-8D6CB8B721C6.jpeg

Upvote 0
So basically, clear is good, hazy is bad. Got it!
There's a way to test it. First, dab it with a kleenex to be sure it is colorless. Smell it to be sure it is oderless, then taste it, just a drop or so on a finger tip applied to the tongue. If flavorless it is water; if not, it won't make you sick in that quantity.

Upvote 0
Back