2017 CX-5 GT - Plugs and Transmission Fluid

I think I'm going to try replacing my spark plugs this weekend. I have the part number and how tight to put the plugs. Just need the confidence now!

I think I'm going to try replacing my spark plugs this weekend. I have the part number and how tight to put the plugs. Just need the confidence now!

Two tips:

1. Using compressed air, quickly blow out the area around each plug before you remove the plug, to help ensure crud doesn't go down the hole when you to remove them. Easy to do, if it's been ~75Kmi since the last change and your engine bay is similar to that of many others.

2. Ideally, have a 'locking' socket set, where the head locks firmly onto the shaft so that you don't end up accidentally dropping the socket head into the hole. Not likely, but it does happen to some people.

Aside from that, it's straightforward. An easy half-hour job, more or less.

What kind of spark plug do you get? And from where?

Use a good 14 mm thin-wall spark plug socket, the torque spec for spark plug is 12~14 ft/lbf if you have a torque wrench with this value. Hand tight the spark plugs first, and you can do “hand tight and another ¼ turn” way to install spark plugs, or invest a cheap ⅜” torque wrench which covers 12~14 ft/lbf range from Harbor Freight Tools.

And the NGK who makes Mazda genuine spark plugs says:

“Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.”

What kind of spark plug do you get? And from where?

Use a good 14 mm thin-wall spark plug socket, the torque spec for spark plug is 12~14 ft/lbf if you have a torque wrench with this value. Hand tight the spark plugs first, and you can do “hand tight and another ¼ turn” way to install spark plugs, or invest a cheap ⅜” torque wrench which covers 12~14 ft/lbf range from Harbor Freight Tools.

And the NGK who makes Mazda genuine spark plugs says:

“Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.”
I'm going to use the NGK Iridium ones listed in this thread. They seem to be the best replacement.

I'm going to use the NGK Iridium ones listed in this thread. They seem to be the best replacement.
I’d say the best replacement spark plug is the Mazda OEM but the price is pretty high. There’re people claimed the misfire problem with NGK plugs, and some tuner also claimed Mazda OEM plugs should be used on SkyActiv-G engines.

Just be watchful on counterfeit NGK plugs.

I’d also verify the gap on new plugs with proper gauge for iridium tip just to make sure the gap didn’t get changed during shipment.

I changed my plugs 2 months ago at 71K miles. Used the NGK Laser Iridium. And even though the car was running good, it immediately ran smoother at idle as well as pulling out.
To the above advice given by others I 'd like to add:
pull the coils off the plugs and look down the spark plug well for oil leakage. My #1 plug had oil around it (luckily not deep but the other 3 plugs were dry) so I replaced the valve cover gasket and assured it did not leak before changing the plugs.

Back