Castrol Transmax full synthetic (2021 CX-5 NA)

You can only change about a half of the ATF for each drain-and-fill, not much more even if you drop the pan to change the filter cartridge. Mixing different types of ATF is a bad idea. Use only Mazda genuine ATF FZ for your ATF change, nothing else.

Thanks for the replies. Changing fluid and filter at 20,000 miles.
Will use only Mazda FZ fluid as recommended.
Honestly changing the ATF at 20,000 miles is an overkill IMO. And how many changes do you plan to do as each drain is only a half of the total capacity of the ATF?

I use this schedule:
30k, drain and fill
60k, drain, drop pan and change filter, fill
90k, drain and fill
etc

I use this schedule:
30k, drain and fill
60k, drain, drop pan and change filter, fill
90k, drain and fill
etc

I like this schedule, except that I'll be doing the first change at 40k miles. Using Mazda FZ of course.

Last edited:
Use ONLY FZ trans oil. It is also a synthetic.

Changing it at 20,000 miles is unnecessary. Mazda calls for changes at 30k if you tow, I do, and have done that. If you don't tow, I'd go 60k between changes. I've never believed trans oil could be "good for life", but its temp is better controlled and it doesn't have to deal with combustion by-products like engine oil must, so it can go many more miles.

Use ONLY FZ trans oil. It is also a synthetic.
Yes.

Changing it at 20,000 miles is unnecessary.
Agreed.

Mazda calls for changes at 30k if you tow, I do, and have done that.
Mazda doesn’t say this for ATF change in owner’s manual. Says this only in early model years for CX-5 but only for gear oil change in rear differential.

If you don't tow, I'd go 60k between changes.
Mine is 50,000 ~ 60,000 miles.

I've never believed trans oil could be "good for life", but its temp is better controlled and it doesn't have to deal with combustion by-products like engine oil must, so it can go many more miles.
Totally agree and very few have pointed this out. Not like the engine oil, the ATF is being used and circulated in a “sealed” environment, not much stuff can contaminate the fluid.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Use ONLY Mazda Type FZ and literally nothing else.
Please don't slam me. But in this day and age there must be an equal to Mazda FZ. We know Mazda does does not make tran fluid. Especially if it is a 'unique' one off special designed trans oil that is better than any other the man has made. They likely chose a maker and said 'add .02 grams of anti-friction modifiers' per 55 gallon drum and call it FZ. Then trademark it.
I'm being sarcastic but the relabeling of many product is a scam that has cost consumers lots of dollars. But I will be using FZ in the outside chance that there is a difference. On second thought slam me.

Please don't slam me. But in this day and age there must be an equal to Mazda FZ. We know Mazda does does not make tran fluid. Especially if it is a 'unique' one off special designed trans oil that is better than any other the man has made. They likely chose a maker and said 'add .02 grams of anti-friction modifiers' per 55 gallon drum and call it FZ. Then trademark it.
I'm being sarcastic but the relabeling of many product is a scam that has cost consumers lots of dollars. But I will be using FZ in the outside chance that there is a difference. On second thought slam me.

It's not as if FZ in unattainable, or even hard to get. It may be a little pricy but it's what Mazda calls for and it's what I'll be using when it's time to do the fluid swap on my CX.

Just read this post by @sinistriel@ who does drivetrain R&D and tuning for a living.

I will preface my comments by saying I've been inside these transmissions multiple times, have a teardown video and a walk through about what makes the transmission and torque converter special. ⋯ Using Mazda FZ fluid is imperative for proper operation due to the viscosity rating and the additive package for smoother torque converter lockup(TCC) operation. It is not simply a rebranded other fluid but is provided to Mazda through Idemitsu and TOTAL depending on continent. We've fixed multiple complaints across many manufacturers simply by using the specified fluid from the OEM after they were serviced elsewhere with multi use fluids.

“It is not simply a rebranded other fluid but is provided to Mazda through Idemitsu and TOTAL depending on continent.”

Besides, you can’t drain the ATF cleanly like the engine oil and you’re going to mix new and old ATFs even if you use a commercial flush machine. Mixing fluids with different viscosity and additives can never be a good idea as you really don’t know what kind of chemical reaction may happen when different brand of fluids mixing together. So use only OEM Mazda ATF FZ or at least the FZ compatible aftermarket ATF such as the one from Ravenol.

Last edited:
Back