2015 plans

And this is an open invitation to all thinking of an STF build. Come to NJ, drive my car, make suggestions, have fun. The mods that are needed to get to 100% aren't going to make this car dominant in STF, but definitely will make the car more terrible as a daily driver.

Jeff,

Once again, I appreciate the thoroughness of your insights. And much like yourself, I agree that building a 100% autox car in ST* will make it far too uncomfortable for street use. (By definition, SCCA claims that ST* cars are supposed to be "street friendly".) Even with Street / Stock class, an all out full build is not something you'd want to drive on the street everyday.

For better or for worse, I think your post brings up an inherent issue with the SCCA classing system -- in many classes, there are 1 or 2 ringer cars (models) that just dominates the class, and leaves every other model in the dust:

BS is basically an S2k vs C5 Corvette showdown
DS is a WRX spec class
ES is MR2 Spyder vs NB Miata
GS has the making of turning into a FoST spec class as well
HS is turning into a FiST fest; before the FiST came in, it was the Spec Mini class
STC (and ST before it got renamed) is Spec EF Civic class, and the darn car has been out of production for almost 25 years!
STS is the classic NA Miata vs CRX battle
STX is almost all FRS / BRZ now
STR is all S2k now

If you look at the list, I think only CS, FS, STU have a variety of different winning cars. Given the way cars are classed, I am really not sure if we can achieve parity between different models even when we are only considering a single class. Furthermore, I would personally also include STF into the list of having multiple different cars that are competitive -- but it is obvious that the K-engine cars enjoy at least some advantage over their peers in STF.

On an unrelated note, prior to picking up the 2, I have actually been semi-actively looking for both a RSX-S and an EP3 for quite some time. It didn't really have anything to do with STF or autox -- I just liked both cars a lot, and that K engine is simply amazing. Unfortunately, I am just too picky a person when it comes to used cars, and the specific models that I wanted -- the 05-06 RSX-S with the higher output K20Z1 and 04 EP3 -- are too rare, so my dreams with the K-engine never materialized. :(

Before I bought the Mazda and left the Mini camp, I was also looking at both of these, but at 5'10", couldn't fit I. Either of them comfortably with a helmet (which is why I got rid of the 02 RSX (which became to autox toy after the ST Chariot blew up)

GS looks like a toss up also, and I'm not so sure HS is a FIST only class either. The MINI is still strong but I think a proper build on a Civic Si would be right there also.

I've changed everything for the next event, (since this IS a 2015 plans thread), if it's not raining and not below freezing, I'll be testing mega rate springs and no sway bars and see how it goes. I'll report back in my build thread with details as I'll have the time next week to write it all up.

So are your plans to build an STF car or buy a car for STF?

In the foreseeable future at least, I don't intend to use the 2 as my main autox car -- I have an STR Miata for that, and I'd have to say that car is a little bit more fun than the 2. My 2 was purchased solely because I was looking for a cheap, good, reliable, and most important of all, fun car to use as my daily, so my search took me to the 2, and I am enjoying everything the car has to offer.

I intend to keep my 2 for the long haul -- I'm hoping for 10+ years and 150k - 200k km before I send her away -- so I'm definitely taking the building route. But it is going to be quite a slow build -- with the engine mount and the ECU tune in place, I'd say I have addressed the most glaring problems with the 2, and I won't start replacing parts until the old stuff starts to wear out.

As tempted as I may be to just rip the suspension out and replace it with something lower and less wallowy, I think my stock suspension parts are gonna stay put for the time being. If things go according to plan, I should be able to wear out the stock crap Yokohama AVID tires some time next year. And then it'll be some yummy 15x7.5 and 205 tires! (headbang)

Back