2014 CX-5 Hood TSB?

Thank you, as you confirmed, vibrating mirror was not easy to catch. Fortunately, my camcorder has a view finder. So that, I was able to secure camcorder between headrest and the seat itself. Then played with zoom(zoom) and finally just need to push the record button while driving. Some videos have had my left shoulder in the focus, some were not sharp enough. At the end I need to drive 30-40 miles until I've got it right.
Called Mazda USA today and they want me to go through my dealership as call center don't have the email from their service department?! Will post here with any news...

Those TSBs are not applicable to 2014 models. Please pay attention to the limitation on the top of first page.

sounds like 2014 CX-5 still have same problem as 2013?

Those TSBs are not applicable to 2014 models. Please pay attention to the limitation on the top of first page.

Btw I did read the limitation, but not quite sure if u just want to piss me off..

My CX-5 was outside the VIN range for the cowl bolts being loose but I could almost tighten them with just my fingers. It isn't inconceivable that ones outside the range on the TSB could have the same problem.

Last update:
"C/R driver side mirror vibration and hood rattle.
Sublet vehicle to tire shop for road force and balance. Road tested and mirror is still vibrating. Special ordered mirror and hood repair supplies per mazda tac."
Basically, Mazda wants an alignment and tire balance to "eliminate" the chance, that bad tires' balance shakes my car. If that would be the issue, both mirrors must vibrate, but this is not the case. Anyway, it looks like my journey comes to the end. I cross my fingers that both issues will be fixed.
To all who wants eliminate those issues - don't give up. If I can help, let me know.

Last edited:
At my first oil change, I complained about mirror shake and they ordered the parts to fix this mentioning the mirror shake TSB (also referenced in the TSB thread).
Mind you, mine is a 2014 and this TSB is for some 2013 models. We'll see what happens.
I also mentioned the hood shake, though mine barely moves most of the time. Its motion can be described as slightly trembling. Though it can get worse if I drive over the *right* rough road patch. For now, they will not be fixing this. I am not sure that with this existing hood design it would be possible to eliminate all vibrations.

Originally, my dealership ordered parts according to TSB as well. But Mazda rejected it, because mirror/hood shake shouldn't occur on 2014 models based on changes they applied. Thereafter, my car was 3 times in the shop to get TSB approved for my car. However, without my photos and videos it wouldn't get through.

At my first oil change, I complained about mirror shake and they ordered the parts to fix this mentioning the mirror shake TSB (also referenced in the TSB thread).
Mind you, mine is a 2014 and this TSB is for some 2013 models. We'll see what happens.
I also mentioned the hood shake, though mine barely moves most of the time. Its motion can be described as slightly trembling. Though it can get worse if I drive over the *right* rough road patch. For now, they will not be fixing this. I am not sure that with this existing hood design it would be possible to eliminate all vibrations.

Which dealer did you take it to?

I'm scheduling an appointment for capitol mazda soon, cuz I get a free oil change, and will ask them about the hood and mirror.

Good for you guys your dealership is doing action to your problem even it is still not fix but doing effort, i have a driver side mirror vibration and hood vibration but my dealership doesn't do action. Mine is a 2014 gx with convenience package. I'm from Canada.

Took my 2014 CX-5 to North Hill Mazda (Calgary, Canada) yesterday. They balanced all four wheels and said that fixed the mirror and hood shaking. Have not had a chance to road test it at high speed yet to see if the problem is fixed. Seems odd that wheel balance is the cause because you would expect the passenger side mirror to shake as well. I'll update this post after a road test.

I have a 2013 Touring that I got in June 2012, and have had no vibration in mirrors, or the hood. The way they are treating these problems is why I sent a comment to Mazda saying that even though I have had no troubles in this area, I would have to think twice before getting another Mazda when my lease ends.

I purchased a new 2014 GT AWD two weeks, ago, and the ridiculous hood shake was what helped me find this forum in the first place. Within 2 miles of driving it, not even close to highway speeds, my hood vibrates all the time, over ANY bump.

I also have the mirror vibration, more on the driver's side. I could live with that, but not this hood. Hoping to have time next week to get it into the dealer.

But this is absolutely ridiculous that they claim it should be present on 2014 when it's clear that dozens of us are having the same issue. That TSB needs to be extended, both for the hood and the mirror, to 2014 models.

3 days ago I heard like a pinging rattling like sound from the top of the hood near the drivers side and noticed some movement, is that what you guys are also hearing and seeing? Thanks

3 days ago I heard like a pinging rattling like sound from the top of the hood near the drivers side and noticed some movement, is that what you guys are also hearing and seeing? Thanks

I don't get any noise from the hood. The movement is (was?) not localized to any one area of the back of the hood (closest to the windshield) but the movement was most noticeable at highway speed especially when hitting a bump or even just a tar seam.

Last edited:
I don't get any noise from the hood. The movement is (was?) not localized to any one area of the back of the hood (closest to the windshield) but the movement was most noticeable at highway speed especially when hitting a bump or even just a tar seam.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely near the windshield, I just so happen you shut off my radio and I realized the noise and the hood I had noticed before but now if gonna have them check everything.

Well, after the wheel balancing, the mirror and hood still shake at highway speed. Can't tell if there's less shaking than before but it's definitely not gone. I expect that the problem will persist unless Mazda issues a new TSB for the 2014 models. I think in both cases, the root cause is lack of rigidity. With the mirror, the sheet metal in the door might not be thick enough to resist the force on the mirror when cruising at speeds of 100 km/h and higher, which causes the sheet metal to vibrate which causes the mirror assembly to vibrate enough to make the mirror glass shake. As for the hood, the goo that holds the skin to the frame is probably a bit too elastic so when wind pressure increases, it creates enough force to cause the skin to pull on the goo, a bit like pulling on rubber bungee cords. At about 110 km/h, hood flutter is noticeable. Hit a tar seam at that speed and the hood bounces, probably about a couple of millimeters. I can even see the hood bounce at low speeds when I hit a bump. My CX-5 was fresh off the assembly line with a build date of 06/13.

I'm going to wait until the vehicle is due for its first oil change before I take it back in for the mirror and hood shake problem. In my case, it's not bad enough to cause distraction but because I know it's there, it's annoying and disappointing.

Last edited:
Where did you find the build date?
On the driver's side door pillar where the tire pressure sticker is, there's another sticker with a bunch of info on it. In the top left corner you'll see a date. I assumed that's the manufacturing date.

Back