2013 Mazda5 Motor Mounts

JCLW

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
My wife noticed that the shifting on her automatic 2013 (130k kms) has started getting harsher, particularly in-and-out of gear, and the 1-2 shift.

ATF is relatively new, and looks clean. It is OEM.

Found more than one thread suggesting to check motor mounts as a possible cause, so I put the van up on ramps today and did some poking around. The rear mount looks like the rubber is all distorted and it is just resting on the lower steel part of the ?subframe?:
PXL_20221023_153011433.jpg

The right (passenger) side mount looked OK - hard to see any leakage as our vehicles are rust sprayed every year so everything is rather oily regardless (plus the Mazda 5 is black). Did not look at the left (driver) side mount as it is under a bunch of stuff.

I then started the vehicle and shot some video of the engine while the van shifted between R-N-D and revved it up a few times in both R and D:

The movement seems excessive to me - any other opinions?

I'm not convinced that changing motor mounts will really affect the shifting that much but I figure I might as well start with the mounts if they do need doing.

What would you recommend?

Mazda OEM for sides? Right: BBN3-39-060B, and left: BBM5-39-070C

Use the Ford OEM for rear? Mount: CM5Z-6068-A, and bolt: W500545-S900

Or is that amount of movement normal and changing mounts a waste of money?

Yes. It's more pronounced with the manual, but they also make a difference with the automatic.

And away we go!

On my car, the main transmission mount bolt was T-I-G-H-T. I had to use a 24" breaker bar to crack that bastard. Your may not be as harsh, good luck to you, good sir!

Also, while you're in there, you may want to think about moving the TCM to the firewall. Where it is now, it sits directly on top of a scorching hot transmission, and there are lots of stories of them cooking and failing. What I did with mine was, got some fuel line from the parts store, slit it down the middle. I then slipped the fuel line over the brake lines that are on the firewall (you'll see them), and then moved the TCM over there. The computer runs much cooler over there, which should prolong the life. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the heads up. I won't have time to work on it until the weekend but if it is not raining this evening I will drive it up on the ramps and get some penetrating oil on that bolt.

I will have a look at moving the computer, but not too concerned with it overheating up here in the Great White North.

Got the mounts swapped out yesterday. Went well, took about 2-1/2 hours in total. The bolt underneath was not too bad - maybe the penetrating oil I sprayed on the day before helped. The toughest bolt for me was the one on the transmission mount (the 80 ft.lb one) but it came out fine with a 24" bar.

The old mounts do not look to be in terrible condition, I was kind of hoping I would find at least one that was totally destroyed.
IMG_20221029_131738490.jpg

IMG_20221029_141515776_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221029_150619748_HDR.jpg

I will let my wife drive the vehicle for a week so it can finish all the adaptive learning before posting my thoughts.

Thank you so much for posting this. I will be doing the same in the spring. Already have some of the mounts. Where did you get your aluminum Ford mount?

Well, hard to say what the results are since much of it is subjective (plus after putting the money and time into it you really want it to be better).

Both my wife and I agree the shifting is better (but not perfect). Neither of us have driven in real stop-and-go traffic yet.

Engine & transaxle seem to move around less. Maybe I'll shoot another video with the GoPro to do a better comparison.

A block of wood on a jack, then placed under the oil pan. Lift it just enough to put gentle pressure, just enough to keep it in place.

Well, hard to say what the results are since much of it is subjective (plus after putting the money and time into it you really want it to be better).

Both my wife and I agree the shifting is better (but not perfect). Neither of us have driven in real stop-and-go traffic yet.

Engine & transaxle seem to move around less. Maybe I'll shoot another video with the GoPro to do a better comparison.
I actually have a 2009 Mazda 5 that I got last year and I am replacing some things with the suspension (sway bar bushings and end links) and I would also like to replace all 3 motor mounts. I tend to go down a rabbit hole researching which parts are best like I just did with the end links. I figured before I do that I'd ask what brands are know to be good but not crazy expensive.. not looking for performance parts. I also read that these Mazdas have a lot of Ford parts and I see your screenshot with a ford mount. How can I find out which ford part numbers fit my Mazda ?

Back