Passenger (#3)/Rear (#1)/Transmission (#4) Motor Mount Experience/Recommendations

Hmmm, 94 views and no input? So no one else had problems?

May I ask a 2nd gen'er to just take some close up pics of your Passenger Motor Mount? I would consider the using OEM mount if it works. The Roca cost just as much as OE so i'm a bit torn but only if the new ones fit.

Here are 2 videos on how to change the side and rear motor mounts on a mazda 3 which is the same as our 5. Enjoy.

Rear mount

Side mount

Passenger (#3)/Rear (#1)/Transmission (#4) Motor Mount Experience/Recommendat...

Look for YouTube user "ghostlyrich". He posted how-to vids also, and I posted the torque numbers for all of the mount nuts and bolts in the comments on one of them.

http://youtu.be/hm6Pt0GWGcE

Last edited:
Picture day

20150827_153425_zpsnwbkhtl7.jpg

20150827_160438_zps6louvkvl.jpg

20150703_193335_zpsej39pr14.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the famous E-Focus mount? Did it ever smooth out at idle for you? There is noticeably more rubber in that mount than the one next to it in your comparo photo... I am so conflicted about doing mine due to the expense. On the one hand it should be done before the dead mounts cause some other thing to fail. But on the other hand, I don't have three hundred or so bucks laying around, and mine really isn't that rough at idle yet....

No, that is the #3 by the belts. The eFocus mount would be similar to the ones in the 1st video of post #21.

Is that the famous E-Focus mount? Did it ever smooth out at idle for you? There is noticeably more rubber in that mount than the one next to it in your comparo photo... I am so conflicted about doing mine due to the expense. On the one hand it should be done before the dead mounts cause some other thing to fail. But on the other hand, I don't have three hundred or so bucks laying around, and mine really isn't that rough at idle yet....
Uploaded the RMM pic above. Note, the threading for the horizontal bolt is different, reuse vertical bolt.

There should be no conflict. IMO, tackling the motor mounts should be a 3 step process. Do the PMM first @ <$100 and takes 30mins? You will love driving it again. This is 99.99% likely the first to fail. I'm positive a lot of folks are broken but they just don't realize it b/c they are use to it and accept it as the norm. Do the RMM if you are a "no wheel hop and instant power to ground" fan but trade-off is slightly more vibration. The TMM is last recourse since it does involve removing a bunch of stuff to get to. My RMM and TMM looked OK. Vibs settled down a little bit can still "feel" it.

The PMM, not so much. (No, it is not suppose to be like that. It should be enclosed)
20150827_125450_zpsjfezzm5v.jpg

So why do they look different. Is the one on the left OEM and the right one aftermarket?
Both OEM. See post #13. Transitive theory WIN ;)
I can only say this is technically NOT RECOMMENDED, is bigger, is stiffer by ~3-4 times, cost LESS, has 3-4 revisions, and you can add a counter balance weight (MS3's PMM comes with this and why it cost 2x but our layout does not fit it without having to relocate some stuff). Otherwise fits/works perfectly.

@ Loosenut - you'll like it!

I don't have great pics here but I do have something... from my '14MY w/ 32K miles. Took them while I was "in there" while changing ATF. As far as I can tell both this and the rear mounts are in good shape at the moment.

Attachments

• 2015-10-06 19.35.45.jpg
    2015-10-06 19.35.45.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 2015-10-06 19.35.15.jpg
    2015-10-06 19.35.15.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for all the investigating into this. I just installed the newer second gen mount into my 09. I used part number BBN3-39-060B. Last weekend I installed the E-Foucs mount as well.

Just installed all OEM mounts - hopefully they last longer than the originals - or someone makes a better replacement. Never had an issue on any of the other makes I owned.

EDIT: I believe my DEA mount that I put in about 15 months ago is failing and causing the vibrations I am getting so now the quest for a replacement begins

Curious if anyone has tried replacing the bushing inserts for the PMM and how difficult the process is. Never did find a video showing how to do it. I know they are cheaper and won't last but you could get 2 of them shipped from Rockauto for about $10 each and replace it once a year as opposed to spending about $100 for the OEM mount that may last a few years

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1572402&cc=1443701&jnid=432&jpid=0

DEA also makes a heavy duty version of the bushing. Looks like the one that Silentnoise changed to back in October. Perhaps he can confirm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I also saw that JBR now has a PMM. I'm guessing the vibrations would be insane but something else to consider if you have $185 around

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sh...ct_info&cPath=333_344_437_440&products_id=522

My 08 GT only has 50k miles but I recently had a motor mount replaced. Don't remember which one right now and not at home for the records.

My fault. I've only seen that larger PMM as an insert. Is that the Roca on the right?
Not the Roca. It is OEM.

See post #13 and #28. I prefer folks to understand "why" instead of doing it just b/c some internet says so. Few posts above even offers a suggested part number.

Not the Roca. It is OEM.

See post #13 and #28. I prefer folks to understand "why" instead of doing it just b/c some internet says so. Few posts above even offers a suggested part number.

I re-read a few more times and I see this now. So the pic above is two OEM mounts

Left is P/N BCM439060D
Fits the following models:
Mazda 3, 2004-2009
Mazda 5, 2006-2010

Right is P/N BBN339060A
Fits the following models:
Mazda 3, 2010-2013
Mazda 5, 2012-2013

But what your saying is you put the newer mount in your '08 and it fit?

Swenny , That is correct. The newer mount BBN339060A will work in the older 5's. I have a 09 that I just did this to a few weeks ago.

I replaced my PMM over the weekend with the 1st gen mount. I'm pretty sure the most important part of this is making sure the bolt hole is centered in the mount hole. My car is quiet again so I am happy

Disappointed in the DEA mount that only lasted about 15 months though. Here's some pics

Old one on the left: 20160206_152952.jpg
Old one: 20160206_153016.jpg
New one: 20160206_153022.jpg

Also, if anyone is looking for an Anchor insert, I'll sell it for $10 plus shipping. I did try removing the old insert off the DEA mount and it came off pretty easily using a vice and a pry bar so replacing the insert is a doable option but I don't know how long it would last

Back