2010 Mazda3 Gas Mileage Roll Call...Please...

Are you measuring this with the car's average readout? Do you zero it out before you hit the highway or when you start the car? I use a scangauge that zeros every time I start the car so it factors in idling for the trip before you begin, and it can also tell mpg for the tank. Great little toy.

Areas where you go 50-60mph will have more stoplights, traffic, and fewer lanes -requiring slowdowns for turning vehicles - think country road. I get my best mpg at 40mph because my car goes into 5th at 36mph and the T/C locks at 39-40mph so I'm driving the wheels with less loss of power transfer and I'm not pushing much air out of the way of the car (vs at 100 you're doing a lot of that).

Warm days with low humidity will also give you a good mpg bump, my car hates rain.

Also if you get a Scangauge you can watch the gallons/hr readout and it's fun to see it read zero when you're coasting at speed. I get 36mpg on trips around town with low average speeds if not foiled by red lights and buses because I can coast down hills for nearly free.

Correct, the average read out is what I use. I find the real time (after every 2 seconds) read out, pretty worthless. It is all over the place even when I am using cruise control. I have zeroed-it-out only after my fill ups. My mpg of 34 mpg was write after a fill up. Unfortunetly, I live in the Chicago area which at this time, of year is humid. My treck yesterday was is a partial drizzle/rain but was warm at 78 degrees. The average mpg gage does a good job of factoring in idling and stopping. Your toy sounds a little more sophisiticated and probably more fun. This car is so new (1 week), I will give more updates if the mpg increases or stays the same. Thanks for the info!

Filled up at 224 miles on the trip meter, and again hit 37, this time it was like 37.06mpg.

This time it was even a mix of highway driving and city driving running errands. My trip to work is about 20 miles each way so it's a good majority highway miles at 40 miles per day. I usually do it at 60-65mph.

I think the numbers improve after you break in the engine a little and put some miles on it, because brand new it was 33-34mpg. So I gained a couple mpg's.

2010 3s 6-speed with mixed in-town and highway miles. On last fill I averaged about 25 MPG. I'm not the most conservative driver, though so keep that in mind.

Filled up at 224 miles on the trip meter, and again hit 37, this time it was like 37.06mpg.

This time it was even a mix of highway driving and city driving running errands. My trip to work is about 20 miles each way so it's a good majority highway miles at 40 miles per day. I usually do it at 60-65mph.

I think the numbers improve after you break in the engine a little and put some miles on it, because brand new it was 33-34mpg. So I gained a couple mpg's.

G,
just wondering are you in a 2.0L or a 2.5L engine car. If those numbers are in the bigger engine I am very impressed.

G,
just wondering are you in a 2.0L or a 2.5L engine car. If those numbers are in the bigger engine I am very impressed.

Well it's on the first page, post #7, I figured it would be redundant to keep repeating that information, but I have no problems doing it. :)

It's the 2.0L iTouring model. But here's hoping that those numbers are that good for the 2.5's as well!

Well it's on the first page, post #7, I figured it would be redundant to keep repeating that information, but I have no problems doing it. :)

It's the 2.0L iTouring model. But here's hoping that those numbers are that good for the 2.5's as well!

My appologies for not looking.

Averaging about 25~26 Miles per gallon, if I did the math correctly. I'm getting roughly 500KM per 50 Litres of Gas on a 2.5 6 speed.

Picked up car April 9th.
10,500kms so far.

My average so far is 27.88mpg

Best = 31.23
Worst = 24.26

I do not break down hwy / city but most of it has been hwy.

I have been driving my 3s for about 1700 miles now so I can give a better answer than before. I just took it on a 1,000 mile mostly interstate trip last weekend and averaged about 32 MPG with an average speed of 67 MPH.

In town I get about 26. Not too shabby for a 2.5 IMO.

yeah that's pretty nice - essentially the same gas mileage I get w/my 2.0 liter p5. Looking forward to when I can upgrade to a 3 now :)

Gas Milage

Just an update I've had the car for a bit longer now around 2500kms on it.

Averaging 8.69L/100kms now. Much better than the 10L/100kms that I was doing before. I'm pretty sure not using the AC as much helped considerably, not to mention that the car is a bit better broken in than before when I made my first post.

Loving the car!

i just got 2010 iTouring 2.0L manual. I have 2 bars left on my first tank from 250miles of city/highway driving.

If i have to guestimate, i would get around 300 miles on my first tank.

300 miles / 14 gallons = 21miles/gallon

Rather disappointing.

I wouldn't go by the gas gauge. Rather, do the math when you fill up - divide the number of miles you went by the amount of gas you pumped in.

i just got 2010 iTouring 2.0L manual. I have 2 bars left on my first tank from 250miles of city/highway driving.

If i have to guestimate, i would get around 300 miles on my first tank.

300 miles / 14 gallons = 21miles/gallon

Rather disappointing.

Yeah, as Lord_Zath said, that's a pretty innacurate way of checking MPG. Fill up your tank, reset your trip meter and start driving. When you get a few hundred miles on the tank, fill up again. So say you get 280 miles on there, and fill up at 7.9 gallons. (280 / 7.9 = 35.4) That's 35.4 mpg. Which is a typical fill up for me, as I also have the 2.0L.

I have a lot of highway miles on my daily commute though. Even still, even if you were exclusively city driving. If you fail to get at least 25mpg, on the 2.0L I would have to say you are driving wrong somehow. :) (No offense!)

Edit: Less rude note... Whatever.

Last edited:
Update

2010 3 hatch GT, 2.5L engine (auto).

Last two fill ups: 418 miles/ave speed 50, 32 mpg (calculated, computer said 30.0 mpg) Second, 415 miles/ave speed 52, 30.8 mpg (calculated, computer said 30.6 mpg). Computer was more accurate in the most recent fill up. Have two 38 mile trips a day (90% highway). I filled up this morning and my first leg, I got 34 MPG, average speed, 58. I was surprised, It was much cooler this morning that in the last couple of days. Does 40-50 degree weather make for better gas mileage? I drive between 60-70 mph. Traffic is the major variable in that number (average speed).
Just some info I thought I would share.

2010 hatch 6 speed manual. Puter says 22-23 mph. Probably 25% highway. I must be a 59 year old racer compared to the rest of you guys.

2010 Mazdaspeed 3 1500 miles. Getting on average 28-29mpg. Worst was 27 mpg. I am taking it to the mountains and then well see the low numbers. Then its time for a break. I believe I have enough miles on it for now.

2010 hatch 6 speed manual. Puter says 22-23 mph. Probably 25% highway. I must be a 59 year old racer compared to the rest of you guys.

Not quite sure what you meant, but if you are saying that you must be speedier driver because you are only getting 22-23 mpg (or mph). I would say it is because of the only 25% highway. I know I only have had this car for 4 months but from the driving I have done, this car gets much better gas when in constant motion rather than stop an go (even at low speeds). I have watched the ave. speed (and average mpg) gauge go down as much as 1 mph (ave speed) just sitting at a long stop light. And just going out of my subdivision, which is less than a mile, it can take .2 mpg off my average mpg.

If you were referring to average speed of 22-23 mph, then I think I get what you are joking at. However, your computer calculates stop lights and pauses in driving which realy reduces your average mph. If you are drving 75% non highway driving then getting a high mph is hard to do. If I am wrong on both, I appoliges as it is late and I am tired, but was still trying to figure out what you were saying.

Back