2003 Protege5 back from the brink: budget rebirth.

OMG that looks amazing!!! soooo clean and the comics gives me chills (and sticky pants). Wow, I'd drive that car if you gave it to me!

Looks faunky cool as hell man. My only question would be....Why no rattle can clear coat over the color? or was the matte finish the goal?....Just asking because it seems like the clear would weatherproof things to last longer, not that it would necessarily improve the cool s*** you've done there. Props on the color, the artsy woman deco & the nads to actually run with the ideas and pull it off, especially on the aforementioned budget.

The matte look is what I was going for. I wanted to have kind of a plastic look to the whole car. I tried a bunch of different methods but I liked the finish that came straight out of the can. This paint is made for graffiti artists so it's a bit different than the krylon or rustolem that you would normally get at the store. It sprays pretty heavy and seems to be quite durable. Only time will tell though.

Best part is, if something happens and he has a spot of bad paint, he can grab a bottle and touch it up

I am in love. Could you share what you did that made the paint come out that clean? Like what were the tips uour friend gave you, what paint brand did you use, did you clear it etc. I planned on wrapping my car Matte silver this spring but yours turned out great so I might do this. I just need to know whether the paint is durable and as good looking in person as it is in the pictures.

But anyway, your car is incredible as well as your devotion to it.

Two words....LOVE IT!!! Color choice is awesome and I too dig the art work on the hood and roof. I have to say I'm jealous of your rattle can skills, had I done that my car would be one big run. lol

How did you edge the vinyl on the hood, is that just black tape?

It's 1/4" black pinstripe tape. I got it at autozone. The vinyl didn't look quite right with the hard cut edge. Once I used the black pinstripe tape it made a world of difference and really set the hood off right.

I was told that if you warm your rattle can up a bit it will make the paint flow better. It also helps if the suface to be painted to be warm as well, that I remember from my auto body supply selling days.

Sweet ride man i really like what you did with it very subtle and clean one of the best P5's ive seen. Its definitly one of my new favorites. The paint came out good how long have you had it painted basically hows it holding up.

Wow that is a cool P5, only suggestions I can think of is a 6 rear wiper and remove the damn roof racks. Looks great man nice work.

I am in love. Could you share what you did that made the paint come out that clean? Like what were the tips uour friend gave you, what paint brand did you use, did you clear it etc. I planned on wrapping my car Matte silver this spring but yours turned out great so I might do this. I just need to know whether the paint is durable and as good looking in person as it is in the pictures.

But anyway, your car is incredible as well as your devotion to it.

Best suggestion I have is to paint during the day. It worked best after I let the car sit in the sun for at least 30 min then put it back in the garage. I would also Leave the cans of paint in the sun at the same time. When I started I had done some painting at night when it was cold and that was a mistake. I did put the cans in a bowl of near-hot water to warm them on cold times which helped, but nothing worked better than during the day.

The only real problem spots where the doors. Best way to do them turned out to be to tape off each door to paint one at a time Making sure you have lots of mask paper on both sides of the door you are spraying. Then start your spray on the paper and don't stop till you get all the way across to the other side paper. This reduces the chance of any blotchy spots. I also worked down the door in sections with each bodyline.

The paint is Miami Blue Matte, All-City Brand graffiti paint. It goes on heavy, but dries fast. I also used fan tip caps for as wide a spray as possible. http://www.allcitypaint.com/

I have had it painted for about 3 weeks now. Seems pretty durable. I have noticed some light flaking on the inner edge of the A-pillars where the rubber door trim makes a seal when you open and close the doors. I plan on touching that up soon since I didn't realize I did such a light coat on those spots.

Wow that is a cool P5, only suggestions I can think of is a 6 rear wiper and remove the damn roof racks. Looks great man nice work.

No way! I love the roof racks on these cars. I think they look kinda goofy without them, but that's me. I had them off when I did the painting and I never doubted I would be putting them right back on even though my buddy kept telling me not to. I'm happier with the rack.

Back