2 Door CX-5

So what purpose do the back seats serve now? Sorta cute but silly...
You realize that 2 door SUV's have been around for like 60 years, right? The 4 door really only came about in the late 90's.

To use the back seat, you simply get into the back seat. It's not rocket science.

You realize that 2 door SUV's have been around for like 60 years, right? The 4 door really only came about in the late 90's.

To use the back seat, you simply get into the back seat. It's not rocket science.
Well yeah, but that's in a car designed so you can actually get into the back of the car. Even if you motored up the seat as far as it would go there's no way a normal human could get into those seats. The door simply isn't wide enough and the seat isn't designed to allow people to move past it.

>motored up

Have you never gotten into the back of a 2 door? Because that's not how it generally works. You don't touch the motor at all. Almost always, you hit a lever and the entire seat tilts forward bottom and all, giving all kinds of easy access to the back.

>motored up
That's exactly my point. I owned three door hatchbacks for years and that's how they worked to allow rear seat access. I'm pretty sure they didn't make a custom seat with a fast release lever for this one car thereby rendering the rear seats pretty much useless. And don't even think about using a child seat with this set-up.

I understand this is a styling exercise with no practical application, a three door CUV would never sell. It was just an idle observation on my part...

I have to ask: what in the world kind of two door car didn't have tilting seats? Because that is absolutely retarded. I've mostly had two door cars in my life, even Mazdas, and all of them had tilting seats, every last one.

No, sorry, I didn't say that correctly. All three of my 80's hatchbacks had flip seats. Power seats in inexpensive little Japanese cars wasn't even a dream back then.

I still miss my '89 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo to this day. There were only like 1800 sold in the US total and it was a go-kart on steroids. They called it the mini-missile in the little bit of advertising they did for it back then.

Yeah, the Mirage Turbo was indeed a pocket rocket. There was a hilarious story about one in Car and Driver way back when, where a guy was road testing one at the dealership, and wound up totaling it on the test drive!

I'm not surprised at that. I had a '85 Civic S that was really fun to drive, then they came out with the '87 Si and I had to have it. Then when the Mits came out in '89 I bought it and almost lost it on the drive home as that thing was a poster child for torque steer and turbo surge. But gods it was fun to race people from stoplights, they never knew what the hell hit them...

Back