Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
These are reasons why car buyers should either buy brand new vehicle or a used CPO vehicle...
Especially after what i've seen....I'm assuming all dealers, no matter the make tell some lil white lies.

How do you know that they didn't buy it brand new?

They had some kind of third party warranty.

Yeah, that doesn't automatically mean it was bought used. You can buy a 3rd party warranty at any time.

Aside from that - not everyone can afford to buy a car brand new (or new enough to be CPO'd).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. @csb_1237, typically if you aren't able to get a satisfactory resolution at the dealer level or from your extended warranty, the next step is to escalate to Mazda Corporate by calling them to open a case. At this point it works just like any other customer service call center - the rep will investigate the issue with the dealer and contact you with a resolution. If they deny your claim, you should be able to escalate the case to a higher up at Mazda Corporate. At the same time, you can file a complaint with the NHTSA, and if Mazda Corporate's final resolution is unsatisfactory, you can file a complaint with the BBB.

Omg I hope this nightmare ends well for you. I don't want to sound negative but your warranty company is a scam and they rarely pay out despite being advertised by celebrities. There was a whole story on them. You may need a lawyer if they deny or just sell the car to CarMax before it is too late
Thanks for the dose of confidence! :unsure: So, it really hasn't been that much of a "nightmare"...they provided a 2022 CX-9 loaner that had 45 miles on it when I drove it away from the dealer, and we don't pay anything for use of that vehicle. As I mentioned, the fall back is to approach Mazda, as there is some evidence out there that Mazda covered repairs for this problem on cars that were out of their warranty period (though something documented would be helpful...like a letter form Mazda corporate authorizing a "good will" repair on a leaking head...anyone??)...it means a lot more back and forth with Mazda, of course, and who knows how long that could take...months? It is unsettling that this known problem is not being addressed in a more "universal" fashion by Mazda, but I guess since they have been selling so many CX-5s and other models with these engines, they really don't want to have to deal with so many potential replacements...it would be extremely costly to them; that, however, is not an excuse, they need to find a way to make it right, but I am not sure they will. They are about to lose a loyal Mazda customer...I've owned 3 different Mazdas since 2010!

Sadly my 2018 CX-9 (55000 miles) was diagnosed today with a cracked cylinder head.
The fix is a new cylinder head, paid by the Powertrain warranty.

Coolant level was full. But engine oil light brown.

Is there an extended warranty offered on the engine after the repair?

Sadly my 2018 CX-9 (55000 miles) was diagnosed today with a cracked cylinder head.

Sorry to hear @carshark. To my knowledge, there should be a warranty on the engine. I think I read 1 year or 12k miles after the engine was repaired? Maybe confirm with the dealer after the repair is done.

Fyi If there was any coolant that made it's way Into the engine oil, then per tsb the engine is to be replaced, not just the head. Make sure the dealer is doing this.

Sorry to hear @carshark. To my knowledge, there should be a warranty on the engine. I think I read 1 year or 12k miles after the engine was repaired? Maybe confirm with the dealer after the repair is done.
Yes 12 month/12 k miles on Mazda USA website. Parts plus labor. Must have original work order from dealership...hopefully you kept this paperwork.

I'm new to this forum. This is very concerning. I wanted to keep the car long term, but now I'm having serious doubts. Getting this at 80,000 miles could be costly. I doubt Mazda would do a recall.

Is anyone thinking similar?

I'm new to this forum. This is very concerning. I wanted to keep the car long term, but now I'm having serious doubts. Getting this at 80,000 miles could be costly. I doubt Mazda would do a recall.

Is anyone thinking similar?
Usually, when a vehicle has engine problems, it happens after 12 or more years cause it's old and worn out or the vehicle was run hard. Simple solution is just go to junkyard and get a lower mileage salvage engine and pop it in. Easy peasy.

What makes this so screwed up is it's a defect so the engine may crack after 5 years, 6 years, 7 years etc. And there's very few in the salvage yards ...and even if you could get one , would you trust it??? It may have the same defect.

If i had known before my purchase, this would have affected overall car buying choice. Dealer never mentioned it had cylinder deactivation either. I never knew it was a thing until joined the forum.

It's fun to drive but if you get one just keep a watch on it. I definitely would not buy this vehicle used and out of warranty.
Buy new or buy a CPO used with additional warranty. Supposedly the design flaw/ production problem was fixed and newer models do not have the cracked head/coolant leak problem.

Usually, when a vehicle has engine problems, it happens after 12 or more years cause it's old and worn out or the vehicle was run hard. Simple solution is just go to junkyard and get a lower mileage salvage engine and pop it in. Easy peasy.

What makes this so screwed up is it's a defect so the engine may crack after 5 years, 6 years, 7 years etc. And there's very few in the salvage yards ...and even if you could get one , would you trust it??? It may have the same defect.

If i had known before my purchase, this would have affected overall car buying choice. Dealer never mentioned it had cylinder deactivation either. I never knew it was a thing until joined the forum.

It's fun to drive but if you get one just keep a watch on it. I definitely would not buy this vehicle used and out of warranty.
Buy new or buy a CPO used with additional warranty. Supposedly the design flaw/ production problem was fixed and newer models do not have the cracked head/coolant leak problem.
I own a 2019 with 49000 miles. Powertrain warranty until late 2023. I enjoy driving it, but now I feel like I'm driving ticking bomb.

Used car market is changing by the minute. Selling it 6 months ago was probably the ideal timing. How did Mazda screw this up so bad?

I own a 2019 with 49000 miles. Powertrain warranty until late 2023. I enjoy driving it, but now I feel like I'm driving ticking bomb.

Used car market is changing by the minute. Selling it 6 months ago was probably the ideal timing. How did Mazda screw this up so bad?
Yeah mines a 2018 CPO with 36 k miles and a pto warranty til mid 2025 or 100 k miles. So i still have time to see how widespread the problem is. You could trade it in for a newer CX-5... I will either trade up to newer CX-5 or go back to Ford trucks/SUVs.

If you can wait, the used car prices may fall and equalize... Right now dealers are barely paying anything on trade but still trying to sell at inflated prices. If you wait, your trade may get less, but you also may be able to buy for alot less.

Yeah mines a 2018 CPO with 36 k miles and a pto warranty til mid 2025 or 100 k miles. So i still have time to see how widespread the problem is.

This is specific to the 2.5 turbo engine. You do not have the same issue discussed in this thread.

How did Mazda screw this up so bad?

I have mentioned this before in a prior post (not in this thread), but these forums are a great place because they allow people who are interested in learning about a car or brand to have an additional resource to draw from. They also serve as a repository of issues and resolutions. Anyone who might be having an issue with their car will likely find that it has been discussed here with others who have had/are having the same issue. This means that when a solution is found, that info is shared with the community. However, this also makes it seem like an issue is more common than it actually is.

Mazda's reputation for reliability has been improving greatly in recent years, to the point that they're in some conversations with Toyota and Lexus for overall reliability. If you are concerned that your car may develop the issue, the best thing you can do is either plan for it (by setting up an emergency repair fund), or sell the car and hope that your next vehicle is better.

What I'm doing is setting up a repair fund. My powertrain is under warranty for another year. I'll start putting money away every month or so, enough so that by the time warranty runs out, I'll have enough to cover a potential repair. If I need to have the engine repaired, I'll be prepared for the cost, which would result in a new engine that doesn't have the issue. If I never end up needing the repair, then I have a nice chunk of change for maintenance purposes, or to use towards a deposit on a new vehicle. The best part about this plan is that even in the worst case scenario, there is a solution, and that means I can continue to drive and enjoy my car, relatively worry-free.

My plan is similar to above, except I might consider a trade in for upcoming cx70/90 in case I like them better and they have same wheel setup )

Is the problem a batch of bad engine parts or a design flaw? I think the answer will give a better understanding of the long term reliability.

Is the problem a batch of bad engine parts or a design flaw? I think the answer will give a better understanding of the long term reliability.

The TSB applies to every CX-9 made before June 2020. It's a design flaw.

1670291277444.png

1670291393840.jpeg

The way I read it is Mazda added a turbo to an engine head that wasn’t designed for the additional stress it caused.

I actually think the problem is more common than we see here. I’ll ask a Mazda tech this week when I go for my oil change. People don’t have time to go online a research a problem in their car. Most people just want it fixed and move on.

Back