Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
That NHTSA reporting is done. Dealer call back today , they slash the bill from $7800 to $2600 with Mazda backing.... pretty sure this dealership toss in some extra parts and hours. But I need my car back so just banking on a later recall , hopefully the balance will be paid back to me later
I’m genuinely happy to hear you were able to receive a more favorable outcome. Thank you for reporting your circumstances! Thank you for updating us.

Best wishes

Hi all,
Coming up on lease end and considering buying my '19 CX-9 Touring, but this issue has me worried. I tried looking for leaks at the engine block/exhaust manifold, but I couldn't see anything or even figure out where to thread an inspection camera among the mess of hoses and heat shields on the back side of the engine. Is it easier to get to from the bottom?

Thanks!

Hi all,
Coming up on lease end and considering buying my '19 CX-9 Touring, but this issue has me worried. I tried looking for leaks at the engine block/exhaust manifold, but I couldn't see anything or even figure out where to thread an inspection camera among the mess of hoses and heat shields on the back side of the engine. Is it easier to get to from the bottom?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about looking for it. When you have the issue, you'll definitely know. Plus you still have the powertrain warranty. Just make sure you keep your service receipts.

This thread doesn't seem to be as active as it used to be, which is good I think. Is this a sign that a lot of this has been resolved one way or another?

Not necessarily. Forums aren't like they used to be. Only a small percentage of people join forums. You may want to check reddit as well to see if any posts there about the problem

Mazda has issued a TSB and acknowledged the issue. It is possible that people going to the service department with this issue are now getting help without having to fight as much with the dealer and/or Mazda corporate.

Not necessarily. Forums aren't like they used to be. Only a small percentage of people join forums. You may want to check reddit as well to see if any posts there about the problem
Reddit eats up 25%+ of my battery every day. Unless there’s another subreddit other than r/Mazda, I haven’t seen more than a handful of complaints about a coolant leak over the last year or so

I bought my 2017 cx9 a year back at 67k kms, now at about 85k kms. Good till now. I dont have any previous service records. Is there a way to check if the engine was ever replaced?

My 2016 CX-9 just had the similar problem (coolant leaking from crack on cylinder head, fortunately, oil not mixed with coolant yet) at mileage of just 53k. It is 5 years and 6 months old, so not within the powertrain warranty limit. Dealer charged me $3150 (parts and labor) for replacing the cylinder head. I have reached to Mazda Corporate for good faith after warranty assistance, declined due to lack of service records at dealership (I did most of the maintenance by myself). Filed BBB complaint, declined again. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

My 2016 CX-9 just had the similar problem (coolant leaking from crack on cylinder head, fortunately, oil not mixed with coolant yet) at mileage of just 53k. It is 5 years and 6 months old, so not within the powertrain warranty limit. Dealer charged me $3150 (parts and labor) for replacing the cylinder head. I have reached to Mazda Corporate for good faith after warranty assistance, declined due to lack of service records at dealership (I did most of the maintenance by myself). Filed BBB complaint, declined again. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Since you didn't mention it and I don't want to assume, but did you provide your receipts and records?

This is very disappointing to hear. It would be somewhat defensible on Mazda's part to deny assistance if this failure was actually attributable to improper maintenance, rather than a design flaw. As it is, I don't think it is unreasonable for buyers to assume a cylinder head should last the normal lifetime of a car - it certainly is not a wear item.

What level of Mazda corporate have you dealt with? You can always try the "can I talk to you manager" approach to see if someone up the chain would be more helpful. Barring that, I'd ask Mazda what level of service Mazda wants owners to perform at the dealer before they would consider helping out and report back here, as I am sure there are many owners who would be interested in that information.

As a last resort, I'd start googling and see if any lawyers have begun the inevitable class action lawsuit over this issue.

This is very disappointing to hear. It would be somewhat defensible on Mazda's part to deny assistance if this failure was actually attributable to improper maintenance, rather than a design flaw. As it is, I don't think it is unreasonable for buyers to assume a cylinder head should last the normal lifetime of a car - it certainly is not a wear item.

What level of Mazda corporate have you dealt with? You can always try the "can I talk to you manager" approach to see if someone up the chain would be more helpful. Barring that, I'd ask Mazda what level of service Mazda wants owners to perform at the dealer before they would consider helping out and report back here, as I am sure there are many owners who would be interested in that information.

As a last resort, I'd start googling and see if any lawyers have begun the inevitable class action lawsuit over this issue.
Thank you very much for your inputs. I contacted Mazda Customer Experience Center through phone several times and submitted required work order/quote via email. A case number was created for me, but eventually declined due to not qualified for AWA (After Warranty Assistance, which service manger at dealership told me it is intended to keep loyal customers who regularly visit Mazda dealership for maintenance/repair).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for you inputs. I contacted Mazda Customer Experience Center through phone several times and submitted required work order/quote via email. A case number was created for me, but eventually declined due to not qualified for AWA (After Warranty Assistance, which service manger at dealership told me it is intended to keep loyal customers who regularly visit Mazda dealership for maintenance/repair).

Well, it appears that anyone considering buying one of these used should budget somewhere between $3k to $7k to replace the head or engine if it hasn't been replaced already. If I owned a current generation CX-9, I would plan on trading it in the day the warranty is expires. Heck, I might do it ASAP while the market is still crazy, before the value of these things takes a hit when the market starts pricing in this gift from Mazda.

As it is, I was planning on checking out the 2023 resign. Not anymore.

I'm talking about your own service records and recipes since you said you did the maintenance work yourself.
No, I was not asked for it at all. I use CARFAX Car Care app to record every oil change, filter change, etc, voluntarily showed the records to service manager but was told that is not the key, the key is to have the car serviced at dealership.

No, I was not asked for it at all. I use CARFAX Car Care app to record every oil change, filter change, etc, voluntarily showed the records to service manager but was told that is not the key, the key is to have the car serviced at dealership.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunate, but makes sense. They are willing to help someone they see as hooked on them and their dealerships, but not someone who may be an enthusiast and wants to take care of their vehicle themselves. Dealership scratches Mazda’s back by selling Mazdas. Mazda returns the favor by keeping customers happy via reimbursement for expensive repairs. Guess this is a warning for all us DIYers that we may save money doing maintenance ourselves but could end up costing more in the end

THAT is a complete lie. The dealership just didn't give a crap and wanted the self pay labor hours from YOU as opposed the warranty labor hours that are substantially lower. The dealership could have easily gone to bat for you and gotten it approved through Mazda but chose not to. That is an a$$hole dealership. You did not have 60k miles on your odo and were barely out of warranty, time wise. It should have been taken care of WITHOUT hesitation from Mazda if the dealer cooperated, especially for this well known documented issue. Problem is, they only see short term, not long term and because they chose to screw you, that dealership should lose you as a customer forever and your potential of purchasing more new vehicles over your lifetime or your kids lifetimes as well as family and friends lifetimes which could be hundreds of thousands of dollars. They have their head up their a$$ and that comes from the top down at that dealership unfortunately. They have to earn your dollars and trust by doing the right thing, not the other way around. It's disgusting just hearing how someone was taken advantage of. It really damages the brand and should be put in the spotlight as a wake up call to manufacturers on how their dealers who represent them are handling business because in the end it boils down to customer satisfaction and repeat purchases.

Last edited:
Gotta love how if you don't service your car at the dealership during the first 5 years, if something goes wrong that shouldn't, they'll refuse to help you.

@Tchman2016 I think your hit the nail on the head.

I serviced the car myself from new to 7x,xxx. My car was probably logged no more than 3x in their service system for minor warranty work. I logged all my services and kept every single receipt. Mazda didn't give me any issues. I think your dealership just needed the work and didn't bother to plead a case on your behalf. I doubt much can be done after the fact, unfortunately...

Back