Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 60.2%

• Total voters
The problem is not enough people report this. If the manufacturer refuses to issue a recall, then the customer should report.

For all intents and purpose this is a safery issue. I've known people with cars that there car stopped on the highway with cracked blocks. Granted these we're old vehicle on which the engine was what most would consider well past it's service life.

But a 5 year old vehicle with under 65k, under 100 k or even 150 k miles is no where past the cars life. Even a 10 year old car should not have these problems.

And to think there could be a portion of these cars stalling(no matter how small percentage) on the highways and causing fatalities is unacceptable.

Report this to the NHTSA. Explain how your vehicle did or almost stalled/stopped on highway traffic during rush hour and the possible fatalities that could have occured. If you we're lucky enough to catch the leak early enough and notice the problem before being in a life threatening situations, explain how this could have possible led to a life threatening situation if things had turned out differently. If all the coolant had leaked out very quickly due to the crack, your vehicle could have been incapacitated very quickly before having time to find a place to pull off to the side.

While some people may notice problems with their vehicle before it reaches that points, there are some who may not realize it until it's too late or it may occur and deteriorate very rapidly.

It's clearly a numbers game to them. For those fatalities that do occur, they'll likely make the family file lawsuit and take a "prove it" stance and even if they lose, the payout will be a drop in the bucket. But 1st they'll tangle it up in multiple appeals like most big corporations do.

Last edited:
It is a long shot, but depending where you live you may be entitled by law to what is called « a reasonable lifetime warranty ». Which is a legal warranty that states that items must last a reasonable amount of time, regardless of warranty clauses. In that case the argument could be made that while engine repair could be expected, an engine is not expected to have a complete mechanical failure at 62k.

I don’t know if many states have that law. I live in Quebec, Canada and my province has it. I know other states have a lemon law, which you could try using or threatening to use.

It is a pain to have to resort to these extreme measure. I had similar issues with Ford when i reported an intermittent issue before the end of the warranty which became permanent shortly after the warranty had ended. It took me forever to get the dealer to pay for the repair, even though i had reported it to them multiple time prior.

Can you post the CR reliability chart for all models years for cx-5 and cx-9 so owners can see the issues? Its been awhile since I am a subscriber. Thanks.

There's no easy way to grab this... Here's the info for overall reliability and engine problems. 2019 and up is still rated highly.

Other trouble spots were sporadic, but paint, body integrity, and the electronics got dinged here and there. Nothing surprising, and kind of consistent with some of the complaints that have popped up here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-160021.png
    Screenshot_20220819-160021.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 144
I know other states have a lemon law, which you could try using or threatening to use.
Gonna be tough doing that. Most state that you have to go back three times for the same issue and the dealer is unable to fix. To me that sounds like you’d have to have 3 cracked heads with the dealer unable to fix the underlying issue

We've got a 2018 GT CX-9 and this just happened to us last Friday at 61,xxx miles. First response from dealer was that we've got a coolant leak with a suspected cracked cylinder head and the fix was a complete engine replacement with an estimate of $10,012. So far they've told me Mazda is refusing to cover under warranty since we're outside the warranty period...unbelievable. Only thing they're offering at this point is a $2,000 goodwill credit towards repair....gee thanks. Escalated to service manager also informing him of what I've found on this forum including the TSB. Still waiting to hear back after a couple days. Hoping they're working it out with Mazda. Any tips would be much appreciated. If we can't get any help from dealership/Mazda I'm considering legal action as I'm certain this crack/leak started well within warranty period. How is there not a class action lawsuit on this issue yet?

Last edited:
I just went through this myself. I was at 60.5 months and 59,780 miles on my 2017. Noticed a strong coolant smell during a cold start when backing out of the garage. Scheduled an appointment with the selling dealer for diag. They found that coolant was leaking internally into the cylinder after pressure testing the cooling system. No overheating, no misfire codes. No signs of external leaks anywhere. Oil was not contaminated since the leak was still in the early stages.
The selling dealer also included 100k power train with all vehicles they sell. I paid a total of $350 deductible for the repair. The extended powertrain warranty verbiage stated a $200 a deductible. Apparently my service records of parts receipts and spreadsheet of what was done with the mileage was not acceptable.
Not sure exactly between the dealer and mazda who paid for what. New cylinder head, water pump and all associated gaskets in the TSB was replaced. Total time was just over a week.

We've got a 2018 GT CX-9 and this just happened to us last Friday at 61,xxx miles. First response from dealer was that we've got a coolant leak with a suspected cracked cylinder and the fix was a complete engine replacement with an estimate of $10,012. So far they've told me Mazda is refusing to cover under warranty since we're outside the warranty period...unbelievable. Only thing they're offering at this point is a $2,000 goodwill credit towards repair....gee thanks. Escalated to service manager also informing him of what I've found on this forum including the TSB. Still waiting to hear back after a couple days. Hoping they're working it out with Mazda. Any tips would be much appreciated. If we can't get any help from dealership/Mazda I'm considering legal action as I'm certain this crack/leak started well within warranty period. How is there not a class action lawsuit on this issue yet?
Class action = only the lawyers win.

Better off trying diplimacy first then filing your own lawsuit. But again, if you lose, you're out alot of lawyers fees and still stuck with broken down car.

Better to report these things to NHTSA and hopefully with enough complaints, get a recall.

We've got a 2018 GT CX-9 and this just happened to us last Friday at 61,xxx miles. First response from dealer was that we've got a coolant leak with a suspected cracked cylinder and the fix was a complete engine replacement with an estimate of $10,012. So far they've told me Mazda is refusing to cover under warranty since we're outside the warranty period...unbelievable. Only thing they're offering at this point is a $2,000 goodwill credit towards repair....gee thanks. Escalated to service manager also informing him of what I've found on this forum including the TSB. Still waiting to hear back after a couple days. Hoping they're working it out with Mazda. Any tips would be much appreciated. If we can't get any help from dealership/Mazda I'm considering legal action as I'm certain this crack/leak started well within warranty period. How is there not a class action lawsuit on this issue yet?
This is discouraging to hear from Mazda. My CX-9 is at 56k miles now and I want to trade it in but new cars are long wait or over priced.

My CX-9 has been consuming coolant slowly since less than 10k miles. Every 5k miles it will drop from full reservoir to half way between max and min. I usually top it off every oil change. I started to change oil myself after 30k and haven't seen any signs of leaks from under the pan. It's disappointing how Mazda is dealing with this. I probably won't get another Mazda again.

Last edited:
Class action = only the lawyers win.

Better off trying diplimacy first then filing your own lawsuit. But again, if you lose, you're out alot of lawyers fees and still stuck with broken down car.

Better to report these things to NHTSA and hopefully with enough complaints, get a recall.

Few times I saw the class action outcome to have the manufacturer to reimburse owners repair cost that they paid on related repairs. In that case I think it's a big win and possible to force them for a recall.

Few times I saw the class action outcome to have the manufacturer to reimburse owners repair cost that they paid on related repairs. In that case I think it's a big win and possible to force them for a recall.
At the same time it would be worse scenario if such a class action will flip Mazda's direction towards another boring Toyota/Nissan. There absolutely must have some execs steering that way )

Add me to the list with a 2016 CX9 at 75k miles. I discovered the issue when i smelled coolant and checked under the car to find oil splattered underneath. I think I caught it relatively early as I never saw any low engine or coolant lights come on

Dealer referenced this new TSB Mazda TSB 01-007-22 — 2016 CX-9 | CarComplaints.com

Quoted $6300 to replace head, after dealer contacted Mazda I am paying $1500.

Add me to the list with a 2016 CX9 at 75k miles. I discovered the issue when i smelled coolant and checked under the car to find oil splattered underneath. I think I caught it relatively early as I never saw any low engine or coolant lights come on

Dealer referenced this new TSB Mazda TSB 01-007-22 — 2016 CX-9 | CarComplaints.com

Quoted $6300 to replace head, after dealer contacted Mazda I am paying $1500.

Good to see they're helping you out. People are being rejected coverage if they're at 60,001 miles.

It's also a recurring thing that CX-9's with the issue isn't triggering dash lights. Small things will set off a light but when the engine is cracked open, nothing to see here! 🤔

You guys scared me into buying a new 2022 CX-9 GT. My 2017 GT had no issues and was the best car I've ever owned. It had 79,000 miles and the thought of head failure was too great. It had no extended warranty on it. Luckily my area (Nashville) received a large batch of new 22 CX-9's and I was able to get one transferred to my local dealer. I got $21k trade and paid MSRP minus Mazda incentives on the new one. I now have a lifetime powertrain warranty on the new one.

Good to see they're helping you out. People are being rejected coverage if they're at 60,001 miles.

It's also a recurring thing that CX-9's with the issue isn't triggering dash lights. Small things will set off a light but when the engine is cracked open, nothing to see here! 🤔
Maybe the fact that it's my 4th Mazda and I had it serviced at the dealer helped. However, this may be my last Mazda after needing to have the transmission replaced on my 2021 Mazda6 with 10k miles just 2 months ago.

Maybe the fact that it's my 4th Mazda and I had it serviced at the dealer helped. However, this may be my last Mazda after needing to have the transmission replaced on my 2021 Mazda6 with 10k miles just 2 months ago.
Wow, I've never seen any Mazda with the current 6-speed need a replacement! Did they give a specific reason, and was it a rare manufacturing fault?

I also have both a CX-9 and Mazda6, both 2018's. No problems on either. The 6 has to be one of the most reliable sedans out, especially after being out for so long.

There are a few threads regarding the 2.5 turbo coolant leak problem and ultimately having to replace the engine. What I'd like to know is there anything that can be inspected and possibly fixed with this issue before it gets to the point of actually needing a new engine?

Edit:
I updated the thread to include a poll now of who is and isn't having this issue.

If you've had this done, please comment on the model year, how many miles you had when it occurred, when you first noticed the issue, if Mazda covered the cost under warranty, and any other details.

Also those with higher miles and no issues let us know how many miles so far.
We just had our 2017 Mazda CX-9 block crack at 95,000 km and just missed the 5 year warranty that expired on July 27, 2022. So far Mazda has said no warranty but I’m not giving up without a fight. 😡

We just had our 2017 Mazda CX-9 block crack at 95,000 km and just missed the 5 year warranty that expired on July 27, 2022. So far Mazda has said no warranty but I’m not giving up without a fight. 😡
Sorry to hear but it's complete bs just like the many others. I really hope there's a recall or class action to rectify this problem as it is not worth to pursuit it legally and individually.

Sorry to hear about that. If your experience with customer service has been anything like mine, don't do anything you'll regret! 🤣

2018 cx-9. Stumbled upon this forum when mine started leaking coolant at 66k miles. Took it to a dealer who confirmed a cracked cylinder head. I have been back and forth with Mazda USA as well as the dealership and found out yesterday that Mazda USA will not cover the costs. Their reasons were that it was out of warranty as well customer loyalty.

Customer loyalty excuse is a load of crap though because this my families 3rd Mazda. I was also planning on purchasing a Mazda 6 in the very near future.

After talking to Mazda USA, the woman I spoke with said she would take my case back to upper management after I told her this is our 3rd Mazda. 2 minutes later I got an email from her stating she spoke to upper management and they will not cover my case and they will be closing the case. As part of that email thread, she also forwarded what my dealer sent to Mazda about repair costs. Those repair costs totaled $2,728.95. When I called the dealer back and asked about my original quote, they told me it would be $6700 to repair. I am quite surprised by a $4000 dollar difference between the cost to repair if Mazda USA would cover it and the cost to repair if I have to cover it. I called the dealer and they tried to excuse that away but I wasn't impressed with what they tried to explain.

I am not done fighting this with Mazda USA...any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Back