Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Thanks, my coolant do disappear since the car was new. I usually top off to the full mark when oil change/car wash and usually it would be down to the middle between full and low by 5000 miles. I raised the issue with dealership before but they were no help.

If you check the coolant level at a consistent time (say, every morning before you go to work) and it continues to drop over time, you may be having the same internal coolant leak issue I'm having. It might be a good idea to get a used oil analysis done after your next oil change. If there is a coolant leak, you'll have a high level of potassium in the report, and you can use the report to open a ticket with Mazda Corporate to investigate further.

Good to know. Would definitely consider the powertrain warranty..
I inquired right before I left NJ and that was what the dealership said. If you are still in warranty, it’s a no questions asked extension. Out of warranty, get it inspected for any “preexisting conditions” so to speak

Im at 54,000 Miles i know we have a 60k mile powertrain warranty. im a bit terrified of this issue. Probably the worst time in HISTORY to get a new car as well...

Last edited:
seems the oil issue is primarily on the 2021, no?
The TSB 01-012/21 says the oil consumption issue is on 2021 2.5T after Mazda did a valve stem seal modification. But the modification could be initiated by cylinder head revision for the coolant leak issue (more likely to me), or it could be just coincident.

seems the oil issue is primarily on the 2021, no?

yeah, but the Mazda 3/CX-30 only got the 2.5T in 2020. So far, no major reports of those with coolant issues - but it is early yet. The oil consumption issues are there as well.

My 2016 CX-9 had 62500 miles when I discovered the coolant leak. Check engine light and high coolant temp warnings. Had to work with Mazda customer support directly because the dealer couldn't file a warranty properly. Mazda covered half the cost of a new engine. The date code on my new engine is March 2021.

My 2016 CX-9 had 62500 miles when I discovered the coolant leak. Check engine light and high coolant temp warnings. Had to work with Mazda customer support directly because the dealer couldn't file a warranty properly. Mazda covered half the cost of a new engine. The date code on my new engine is March 2021.
What were your out of pocket costs? Any reason why Mazda didn't cover the full engine? Some on here apparently have had the coolant leak issue fully covered even when they were out of the power train warranty.

What were your out of pocket costs? Any reason why Mazda didn't cover the full engine? Some on here apparently have had the coolant leak issue fully covered even when they were out of the power train warranty.
Cost me about $3k in the end. I did read about others being covered out of warranty, but I wasn't given a reason. The dealer did such a lousy job on the warranty claim that it was initially denied and they had no idea why either. Had to talk to Mazda directly and their customer rep was much more responsive and help the dealer file another claim.

Cost me about $3k in the end. I did read about others being covered out of warranty, but I wasn't given a reason. The dealer did such a lousy job on the warranty claim that it was initially denied and they had no idea why either. Had to talk to Mazda directly and their customer rep was much more responsive and help the dealer file another claim.
How long ago did you get the replacement? Was this before it was a known engine flaw? Mazda should be covering all replacements to maybe about 100K/8 years.

There are a few threads regarding the 2.5 turbo coolant leak problem and ultimately having to replace the engine. What I'd like to know is there anything that can be inspected and possibly fixed with this issue before it gets to the point of actually needing a new engine?

Edit:
I updated the thread to include a poll now of who is and isn't having this issue.

If you've had this done, please comment on the model year, how many miles you had when it occurred, when you first noticed the issue, if Mazda covered the cost under warranty, and any other details.

Also those with higher miles and no issues let us know how many miles so far.
I had 120k miles on my 2016 CX-9. I took it to the dealer because my car jerked and it gave me a temperature warning and then the light went off and I continued to drive as normal. When I got home I smelled coolant so I took it in the next day. They washed my engine off and told me to drive it for a few days and come back so the can see where it was leaking. I didn’t think it was a good idea to drive it but I did. I get down the road and this time it starts over heating. I turn around and drove back to the dealership.

I left the car there. A few days later they call me and said that I probably got a warped head. The machine shop that they sent the head to be inspected said they could not find anything wrong. The service manager said that it is warped and some machine shops don’t have the capability to be precise. They said the only thing they recommended after talking to Mazda was to replace the engine. $8500. I called the Mazda corporate office and fussed but did not do any good. Although I did replace the engine, I am still not giving up on this situation. It is a design flaw and I know Mazda knows it but does not want to own up on their mistake. The rep at Mazda corp. said that the number of complaints is small compared to the number of cars sold.

⋯ The rep at Mazda corp. said that the number of complaints is small compared to the number of cars sold.
If the number of cracked cylinder head is small, Mazda wouldn’t issue the TSB, and modify the cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket.

On the other hand, if the problem is rare, Mazda actually should help you to fix the problem as this’s uncommon.

Back