17x7 with 60mm offset? Or 17x6.5 with 62.5 offset?

:
2015 CX-5 Touring
I picked up a set of stock size Blizzaks ((225/65r17)) and now I'm looking for a set of rims for my 2015 AWD Touring. I'm looking to see what I find on the used market before buying new. There are two potential options I've found locally:
  • Stock size wheels (17x7) but with an offset of 60mm. (OEM from an older Mazda 6)
  • 17x6.5 with an offset of 52.5mm (OEM from a Mazda3)

Can I run the 60mm offset? Or alternatively, can I mount the above Blizzaks on a 6.5" wide rim?

Thanks

Not sure which series of Blizzaks you have but tirerack.com says the rim width range for the WS80 in a 225/65R17 is 6-8".

Go with the cheaper option. There's no material difference between those two wheels when you're talking about mounting a 225/65R17 tire.

Why would you want to go with a wheel that has even less of an offset then the factory wheel? If anything you should go with a bigger offset, smaller number, like 45-35, so the wheels go outward a bit more giving you a wider stance and possibly better stability. I'd say keep looking and wait for something else to pop up on CL.

Thanks for the input everybody. I've been watching CL and various atuo parts trading lists locally for over a month now and have found virtually nothing that will fit the CX-5. The 2 rim sets I described in the OP are the the only things I've found at all. And a set of just basic new steelies from Tire Rack are still close to $400, when I can get a gently used set of Mazda6 or Mazda3 OEMs for about $200-250.

The outboard lip of those wheels will be exactly 1.15 mm different. There will be NO substantial hit to handling or stability.

The outboard lip of those wheels will be exactly 1.15 mm different. There will be NO substantial hit to handling or stability.

So your saying that a 10mm difference in offset will only effect the outboard lip 1.15mm? I disagree with you there, it will change it 10mm, 50et vs 60et.

It's a 7.5 mm offset difference, and the bigger-offset wheel is 1/2" wider.

The 17 x 7" wheel with a 60 mm offset will put its outer lip 1.15 mm more inboard than the narrower wheel with smaller offset. Yeah, the center of the contact patch will be off by 7.5 mm, but that's not the sole factor in determining stability.

It's a 7.5 mm offset difference, and the bigger-offset wheel is 1/2" wider.

The 17 x 7" wheel with a 60 mm offset will put its outer lip 1.15 mm more inboard than the narrower wheel with smaller offset. Yeah, the center of the contact patch will be off by 7.5 mm, but that's not the sole factor in determining stability.

Ok, you're comparing the two options he posted for winter wheels to each other. I'm comparing the 17X7 ET 60 wheel from the mazda6 to his current 17x17 ET50 wheels on his touring.

I'm in the exact same boat, looking to pick up a set of Mazda 6 rims ( 17x7" with 60 ET ) for my 2014 CX5 AWD. Does anyone have any further input as to whether the 10mm difference will have any fitment problems or adverse handling characteristics?

I'm in the exact same boat, looking to pick up a set of Mazda 6 rims ( 17x7" with 60 ET ) for my 2014 CX5 AWD. Does anyone have any further input as to whether the 10mm difference will have any fitment problems or adverse handling characteristics?
Figment won't be a problem. They will fit on the car and not interfere with the suspension components. Your handling may suffer a bit. You are basically reducing your track by 20mm overall, 10mm on each side of the car. It's less then an inch but may be slightly noticeable when Corning at higher speeds. Then again, how often are you going to be trashing around a corner at high speeds with winter tires and snow and ice present? If the wheels are cheap enough you could always just get a set of wheel spacers.

Ok, you're comparing the two options he posted for winter wheels to each other. I'm comparing the 17X7 ET 60 wheel from the mazda6 to his current 17x17 ET50 wheels on his touring.

Sorry, I'm still a little confused.

I'm looking to get steel wheels with snow tires from tirerack.com, and I see offsets, mostly from 6.5 to 7.5, I'm still confused how significant that is?? Which should I get??

I have the 2015 2.5L FWD Touring, what is the stock wheel offset?? Assuming it's 7, what is the impact of going with .5 either way(6.5 or 7.5) ??

Sorry, I'm still a little confused.

I'm looking to get steel wheels with snow tires from tirerack.com, and I see offsets, mostly from 6.5 to 7.5, I'm still confused how significant that is?? Which should I get??

I have the 2015 2.5L FWD Touring, what is the stock wheel offset?? Assuming it's 7, what is the impact of going with .5 either way(6.5 or 7.5) ??

6.5 & 7.5 are the wheel width, not the offset. The steel wheels that TireRack sells for the CX-5 range from an offset of +42 to +50mm depending on wheel width.

Back