Would purchasing a CX-5 turbo demo model concern you?

The only one on the lot that meets my needs is a reserve with turbo. It has 200miles. I'm sure the test drivers have driven this turbo quite hard to get the turbo experience. Would this concern you? Having a new motor driven hard.

I bought one with 1900 miles. Not a concern in the world, if i was worried about a few spirited tests drives hurting the engine, I would not have considered the engine in the first place.

@Luke Thomas

You will want to read this thread:

I get my new vehicles with less than 10 miles on them and sometimes only 2 miles. I don't like demos. Ed

I prefer a car “fresh off the truck” but the risk associated with buying a car with a hundred (or two or three) miles is pretty small. Think about how hard rental cars are used, yet most enjoy normal service post-rental use. And even a car that’s never been test-driven will have been driven tens of times in the process of storage, shipping, production, etc. and these are typically very short hard trips without proper warmup.

The bottom line is that cars these days are very forgiving of rough handling early in life.

- Mark

The only one on the lot that meets my needs is a reserve with turbo. It has 200miles. I'm sure the test drivers have driven this turbo quite hard to get the turbo experience. Would this concern you? Having a new motor driven hard.

Honestly, there is no way to know whether the car was driven hard or not. It's fairly safe to assume that it was, but it's also possible that some of those miles were from drivers who just wanted to test-drive a model with the ADD. Speaking for myself, I was excited to test drive the CX-9, but when I got behind the wheel and had the opportunity to give it some gas, I'm pretty sure I didn't accelerate past 4k. For one, it's easy to get the feel of the turbo without driving it hard because it spools up at low revs. Again, speaking for myself, I didn't drive hard on my test drive because I knew that it wasn't "my" vehicle, and if I damaged anything I didn't want to be on the hook for it. I did accelerate fairly aggressively and I did push it a bit on the highway on-ramp, but never once did I go WoT.

Is the car being sold as a new car, executive demo, CPO or used? Reason I ask is because it can effect powertrain warranty. If the car can be sold to you with the full powertrain warranty intact, I would be perfectly comfortable buying it. If there was significant damage done to the engine in the first 200 miles, you would likely see the result of that damage within the first few years of ownership, and it would be covered by the warranty (assuming nothing has been done to void the warranty, like an ECU tune or something). IME, long term engine condition usually comes down to how well it's maintained, not whether it was driven too hard the first 500 miles of it's life.

As the poster said above, if the car is sold as new, the warranty will start when you buy it. You have 5yr/60k on the power train. I would be fine with it.

The problem with demo vehicles is that they were not properly broken in before they were driven hard.

The problem with demo vehicles is that they were not properly broken in before they were driven hard.

I have read that in general (not specific to Mazdas), revving up to 4k is fine in the first 500-1000 miles. However, Mazda states the following regarding their vehicles:

"No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts."
Now, regarding those points, the only one that we really need to worry about with regards to test drives is the last point - full-throttle starts. Very, very, very few people are racing the CX-5, or driving it at high rpms for extended periods during the test drive.

Breaking in an engine helps to ensure that early engine wear is kept to a minimum, and that the oil flows smoothly and evenly. It also gives the piston rings time to seat properly. In short, considering the type of vehicle we're talking about, I don't think an improper break-in is something to lose sleep over.

If we were talking about a genuine sports car, that would be a different story - those cars are meant to be pushed to their limits, and test drivers will likely push those limits during the drive much more often than someone test driving a CX-5.

With all that said, @Luke Thomas, if a proper break-in is important enough to you, you'd be better off looking for a brand new model with single-digit mileage. It will cost more, but at least you'll be satisfied. Just keep in mind that even those cars can be driven hard by those who drive them off the boat and into the port.

200 miles on a new turbo CX-5? Not for me.

Yes there are some disadvantages to buying at rthe end of yr. Sure you save $2000 over the new model. But is 200 miles worth it. most cars on the lot this late havemiles
Yes this really comes down to a personal preference and how comfortable you feel with 200 miles on a brand new vehicle. May be you can ask for more discount because of this 200 miles? Make sure to do a thorough test-drive and check everything carefully such as off-center steering wheel、car pulling to one direction、brake noise、tire wear、vibration、oil level、coolant level、etc.

Those miles could also be due to a dealer trade. I had a 2021 Sig locally I was eyeing and found out it has nearly 250 miles

sm1ke,
> Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
I would say some testdrives also involve hard braking....

I recalled that one day I went for a testdrive in a Nissan Armada SUV when it first came out. The salesman sitting next to me asked me to jump on the brake (empty street) to see how strong the braking was. I said, "Are you sure?". He nodded. I did. The Armada veered to the right badly. The salesman was speechless. I was shocked.

The point here is: You never know what people have done to a demo vehicle. :)

Personally I would want it as fresh from the factory as possible, under 30 miles. I think the first 1000 miles put on a new car influences how much oil it will consume later in its life.

The only one on the lot that mets my needs is a reserve with turbo. It has 200miles. Im sure the test drivers have driven this turbo quite hard to get the turbo experience. Would this concern you? having a new motor driven hard.
Mine had 700 miles. 53K miles now and still running great. NO oil usage.

Tell the dealer you are uncomfortable with 100+ miles on a new vehicle that was demoed, so add 1,000 miles to the engine/driveline warranty. Manager signs off.

I would avoid it for the following reasons...

Capture2.PNG

Latest posts

Back