tail light help

Drtumolo

I am new here but I could use some help. My wifes 2018 cx5 was rear ended 3 hours from home. There was no lights damaged in the accident. The dealership there just completed the repairs and everything looked good. When I got the car home last night I noticed the tail lights are not working. Just the parking and side marker lights are out. Brake, Turn signal, backup and license plate light all are working correctly. I don't want to take the car back for follow up since it is so far away. Any suggestions on what to look for?

I was going to suggest a blown tail light fuse but I believe the license plate light and tail lights are on the same fuse. So probably a disconnected wire or wires.

Did you look at the bulbs? are the filaments intact?

You didn't say which trim level of your 2018 CX-5 is because for lower trim level CX-5's the tail light and rear side marker use single 7443 incandescent bulb but higher trims use LEDs which make big difference to approach this. For incandescent bulb you should check the bulb and hopefully you only need a new one. But for LEDs you have to replace the entire outer part of tail light assembly which of course more expensive. If yours indeed is LED tail light, you can call the Mazda dealer 3 hours away and explain the situation and see if they're willing to let you fix the problem at a local Mazda dealer. If insurance involved, you should contact them too. You can always get the LED tail light replaced ASAP for safety reason with your own expense, then deal with it for reimbursement with receipt. You can save some money to replace outer tail light assembly by yourself as it's very easy.

I was going to suggest a blown tail light fuse but I believe the license plate light and tail lights are on the same fuse. So probably a disconnected wire or wires.

Did you look at the bulbs? are the filaments intact?
Like fuse, it's the same on disconnected wire on connector. It's highly unlikely that a single connector to outer tail light assembly has only partially bad connections as brake and turn-signal lights are still working.

It turns out the incandescent bulbs where both out. Is there bulbs in the liftgate for tail lights or just for back up? Doesn't seem like much light with just the two side marker lights on.

It turns out the incandescent bulbs where both out. Is there bulbs in the liftgate for tail lights or just for back up? Doesn't seem like much light with just the two side marker lights on.
So BOTH sides of your tail light and side-marker are out? Tail light and side-marker on your rear lights use the same light source, 5W filament of 7443 incandescent bulb which is a dual-filament bulb. The other 21W filament is used by brake light. No, there's nothing for tail lights on inner tail light assembly except the backup light.

Ok then I guess it was two bad bulbs. I guess that was caused from the impact from the rear end collision. thanks for the info

Ok then I guess it was two bad bulbs. I guess that was caused from the impact from the rear end collision. thanks for the info
Yeah if your accident happened in the night with the lights on, the filament burning in the bulb is very easy to get broken with severe impacts. But then again the Mazda dealer should have caught this problem and fixed them at the first place.

Back