JDM FS9 Engine Swap

P5. Comes with fs9. Unplug everything, fish it out, install new one.

You will need to swap over sensors and crank pulley as that new (FS-ZE) was running obd1 and the P5 runs obd2, intake manifold is different too, other than that it's a straight swap with a bit more compression.

You will need to swap over sensors and crank pulley as that new (FS-ZE) was running obd1 and the P5 runs obd2, intake manifold is different too, other than that it's a straight swap with a bit more compression.

Thanks, I didn't realize the JDM engine is actually FSZE instead of fs9.

I've been looking up FSZE swaps but i haven't been getting straightforward answers.

Will the car be able to run the FSZE if I don't swap out the USDM ECU to a JDM ECU, that motor I linked to comes with a JDM ECU but im unsure if it's for manual or automatic?
My P5 is automatic/triptonic and I don't plan to swap tranny's since the car is going to my fiance, would I need to source a JDM automatic ECU?

I'm 70% done with dropping the current motor so just researching a bit more on this before I decide which route to take. Thanks for your help!

The motor you linked was automatic as the flex plate is still on it, you can run that motor off your existing ecu, just swap over the crank pulley and any other ancillaries that are different.

You can do it either way.

Leaving it in saves you from having to remove the axles, but it is more difficult to mate them back together. I prefer to pull the whole assembly, which gives you the opportunity to change the clutch and axles seals on a bench.

Last edited:
I’ve done the same swap in my 323 sp20 in Aus. Hoping someone hear might be able to help me with idle issues and getting more power…
Cheers

Back