OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

What size Scorpion are you looking for. Where did this $134 price come from? My Touring takes a 225/65/17 H size.
I just did a google search "Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3 Walmart" and it went right into their page priced at 124.95 for the tires I ordered. Again, is this the size you want (225/65/17).

Walmart installed my RT43's and did a good job. And they torqued the lug nuts by hand to the correct torque. No matter where you have them done you'll probably need to adjust the tire pressure. My RT43's felt like mushy balloons at the factory tire pressure Walmart (and other tire shops) set them to. A few more PSI and they were great.
****And remember, Walmart does NOT do alignments so figure in that additional expense. My car was recently aligned due to suspension parts replaced so I already paid for that back then.
Thanks for the input. I was confused because when I put in CX-5 Walmart says it does not fit. See Screenshot.

tires.jpg

So how much would an alignment typically cost. If I take this to my local tire dealership, they will add in alignment for in the cost when they switch out my tires typically?

Thanks for the input. I was confused because when I put in CX-5 Walmart says it does not fit. See Screenshot.

View attachment 314000

So how much would an alignment typically cost. If I take this to my local tire dealership, they will add in alignment for in the cost when they switch out my tires typically?
Around here (upstate NY) alignment typically runs ~$100-$150, sometimes a little more if it’s a 4 wheel alignment. Mavis around here only charges $100 for a 4 wheel alignment. I’ve never had an alignment done without either asking the shop to do it or them telling me I need to have it done, and it’s always been my choice. When I had the Altimaxes put on the CX-5 at an independent shop, they said they’d check and let me know if it needed an alignment but never did. When I asked at check-out, the clerk/advisor told me the tire installer would have let her know if I could have used an alignment.

Edit: which trim level do you have that tire configurer website set to? It may think you’re running 19s and not 17s.

Last edited:

View attachment 314000

If your CX-5 uses 17” tires, 225/65R17 is the correct size. Check the sticker on your door jamb to verify.

Usually the one-time 4-wheel alignment costs about $60. I usually go to Brakes Plus with some coupon found on their website. Wheel alignment isn’t necessary for your new tire purchase if your current tires have even wear all around.

View attachment 314000

If you're sure a tire size will fit your vehicle, always search by tire size.
Sometimes a companies auto search on car type doesn't work well.

Around here (upstate NY) alignment typically runs ~$100-$150, sometimes a little more if it’s a 4 wheel alignment. Mavis around here only charges $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.
Western NY for me--ditto. $100 for a 4 wheel alignment is the going rate.

One other price consideration for the non-DIYer is the free lifetime rotations when buying a set of 4 offered by various chains. The problem with those, at least at my local Dunn and Mavis shops. is they don't take reservations.

The one time I tried this, with Dunn for a free rotation with no other services, I waited two hours. I presume I kept getting pushed to the back of the line behind people who rolled in to have their ordered tires installed or folks who were sold tires when there for something else. Mavis got me in and out quick for a $20 nail puncture repair, but that might have been luck of the draw.

So, walking in for just a free rotation is a crap shoot. Now, these outfits do oil changes. If you do an oil change with them and couple it with the free rotation then it makes sense. Otherwise, good luck.

Another note on dealers. In looking at my local Toyota dealer's tire web pages, they mention a price match guarantee (with a bunch of caveats), but no mention of free rotations or other free stuff tire chains throw in. The local Mazda dealer shows no price match guarantee nor mentions any freebies. So, those are more strikes against buying tires from dealers.

One other price consideration for the non-DIYer is the free lifetime rotations when buying a set of 4 offered by various chains. The problem with those, at least at my local Dunn and Mavis shops. is they don't take reservations. ⋯
So, walking in for just a free rotation is a crap shoot.
Now I know how valuable to have a Discount Tire Store (and America’s Tire when I’m in Bay Area) near by. Not only they do price match on new tire purchase with pro-rated credit from mileage warranty, but also they offer free tire services on tire rotation、balancing (road force balancing BTW)、and the flat repair nationwide. I’ve no trouble to get all free tire services at Amrrica’s Tire in San Jose on my 1998 Honda CR-V where a set of General AltiMax RT43 was originally purchased at my Discount Tire in Dallas. In addition, Discount Tire and America’s Tire have done the flat repair (with new valve stem and balancing as the flat tire has to be removed) for free several times on my CX-5 and Toyota Yaris iA where both of them still have stock Toyo tires!

DT and AT do offer making an appointment for any free tire services. I had walked in for flat repair several times because I didn’t want to wait for an appointment, the wait time was between 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how busy their business was on that day.

Last edited:
The tail end of this discussion is why I chose my dealer. Lifetime balancing (hunter road force elite), rotations and threw in 2 years road hazard. Get my tires rotated when I get my oil changed.

The tail end of this discussion is why I chose my dealer. Lifetime balancing (hunter road force elite), rotations and threw in 2 years road hazard. Get my tires rotated when I get my oil changed.
Everyone should have the Hunter elite. By the time they do, we'll all be in Jetsons flying cars.

Everyone should have the Hunter elite. By the time they do, we'll all be in Jetsons flying cars.
The future is now ;) :

When Elon comes out with his fully self-flying version I'll be first in line with a deposit no matter what it costs or how poor the build quality because I have more money than sense.

One other price consideration for the non-DIYer is the free lifetime rotations when buying a set of 4 offered by various chains. The problem with those, at least at my local Dunn and Mavis shops. is they don't take reservations.

The one time I tried this, with Dunn for a free rotation with no other services, I waited two hours. I presume I kept getting pushed to the back of the line behind people who rolled in to have their ordered tires installed or folks who were sold tires when there for something else. Mavis got me in and out quick for a $20 nail puncture repair, but that might have been luck of the draw.

So, walking in for just a free rotation is a crap shoot. Now, these outfits do oil changes. If you do an oil change with them and couple it with the free rotation then it makes sense. Otherwise, good luck.

Another note on dealers. In looking at my local Toyota dealer's tire web pages, they mention a price match guarantee (with a bunch of caveats), but no mention of free rotations or other free stuff tire chains throw in. The local Mazda dealer shows no price match guarantee nor mentions any freebies. So, those are more strikes against buying tires from dealers.
Even with an appointment, I usually wait an hour or two to have anything beyond a basic oil change done. Even an oil change can take a good hour. The independent place I went to for the Altimaxes last month had several people waiting in the lobby and outside (if they could take the wind and relative coldness that day) and the phone ringing off the hook at times. They have an express drive-thru for oil changes and inspections (2 separate lanes), but the inspection machine was down. When I went there for my inspection in September I was out within 40 minutes (that's with the express lane - no appointments taken for the express), but they were busy then too. Waited close to 2 hours to have the tires done this time. This place has the two express lanes and then 5 regular lanes (including one taller one probably meant to fit bigger trucks), so much larger than most indy shops and even some chain shops. I think they were a little short staffed though. Monro has 6 lanes but often not enough workers to keep up with demand. I've seen people having all kinds of work done there, not just basic services, plus they work with fleets. Mavis has several lanes (can't count them all lol) but only so many employees. Their saving grace (at the expense of losing business) is that they only do certain services like tires, oil changes and other basic things, so they typically don't have lanes and techs tied up with long jobs.

Even with an appointment, I usually wait an hour or two to have anything beyond a basic oil change done. Even an oil change can take a good hour. The independent place I went to for the Altimaxes last month had several people waiting in the lobby and outside (if they could take the wind and relative coldness that day) and the phone ringing off the hook at times. They have an express drive-thru for oil changes and inspections (2 separate lanes), but the inspection machine was down. When I went there for my inspection in September I was out within 40 minutes (that's with the express lane - no appointments taken for the express), but they were busy then too. Waited close to 2 hours to have the tires done this time. This place has the two express lanes and then 5 regular lanes (including one taller one probably meant to fit bigger trucks), so much larger than most indy shops and even some chain shops. I think they were a little short staffed though. Monro has 6 lanes but often not enough workers to keep up with demand. I've seen people having all kinds of work done there, not just basic services, plus they work with fleets. Mavis has several lanes (can't count them all lol) but only so many employees. Their saving grace (at the expense of losing business) is that they only do certain services like tires, oil changes and other basic things, so they typically don't have lanes and techs tied up with long jobs.
The point I was trying to make for non-DIYers is that taking advantage of free rotations with a tire purchase is best done with an oil change. If one values what could be two hours over paying separately for a $20 or $25 rotation on a separate trip, buying tires where you have oil changes done would pay off in the long run even if the up front cost of the tires is higher. That could be a dealer or a chain. If it's a tire chain or warehouse club where you're happy to have an oil change done, then you might get the best of both worlds.

Sure, waits can vary no matter where you go depending on work load. Even some dealers promote no-appointment-necessary oil changes--my local Toyota and Mazda dealers promote 60 minute service. Mazda has done a better job than Toyota at meeting that promise. With anybody who provides no appointment services you never know what you're going to run into.

Some shops do a better job with turnaround on average than others. It comes down to the local management. In my case the local Mavis shop has been quick with even the small stuff like a New York State inspection, something shops hate to do for a lousy $21.00. Personal experiences will vary by local shop, not by chain. Local management is is always a key factor even if it isn't a franchise operation.

Now I know how valuable to have a Discount Tire Store (and America’s Tire when I’m in Bay Area) near by. Not only they do price match on new tire purchase with pro-rated credit from mileage warranty, but also they offer free tire services on tire rotation、balancing (road force balancing BTW)、and the flat repair nationwide. I’ve no trouble to get all free tire services at Amrrica’s Tire in San Jose on my 1998 Honda CR-V where a set of General AltiMax RT43 was originally purchased at my Discount Tire in Dallas. In addition, Discount Tire and America’s Tire have done the flat repair (with new valve stem and balancing as the flat tire has to be removed) for free several times on my CX-5 and Toyota Yaris iA where both of them still have stock Toyo tires!

DT and AT do offer making an appointment for any free tire services. I had walked in for flat repair several times because I didn’t want to wait for an appointment, the wait time was between 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how busy their business was on that day.
Other chains like Mavis offer a similar menu of free services including free puncture repairs. I should have been clearer earlier when I said I paid them for a puncture repair. On that occasion, the originals were purchased elsewhere. I was not inclined to wait somewhere else to save $20.

I'm curious as to whether Discount Tire / America's Tire requires wear down to the 2/32" before making a treadwear claim. And how do they make that determination if the wear is uneven, like if the outside has scrubbed off to 2/32 but with 5/32 on the rest of the tire?

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

Thanks for this. I was looking at the sale (I posted) from Sams Club. They had these tires too but the cost - incl discounts and (free) install - was quite a bit more than the price from Walmart (w/paid install). But then I found Sams was out of stock anyway! The second choice from Sams, Goodyear Assurance Maxlife, was a fair bit cheaper than the Sams price for the Pirellis, but still more than the Walmart price for the Pirellis. So Walmart here I come!

Had the pirelliI scorpion AS 3s installed today at Walmart. they did a good job with the install, but it took a while as they only had 1 tech working this morning and, well, he wasn’t the fastest. Have to say, I’m super impressed with these tires even though I barely have any miles on them. They are very quiet, seem to absorb bumps better and handling was great. Like the look of the tires too as there is a slight lip or offset between the tire and the rim. Was so impressed, came home and orderEd a second set for my 2019 cx5. Can’t beat the price, $600 installed. I knew those yokos were garbage.
47E32555-DE17-4FEB-8B2A-0CEB27DB443B.jpeg
C4EAB2AE-CF42-4ABB-A5AC-6C88401B6C7E.jpeg

Thanks for this. I was looking at the sale (I posted) from Sams Club. They had these tires too but the cost - incl discounts and (free) install - was quite a bit more than the price from Walmart (w/paid install). But then I found Sams was out of stock anyway! The second choice from Sams, Goodyear Assurance Maxlife, was a fair bit cheaper than the Sams price for the Pirellis, but still more than the Walmart price for the Pirellis. So Walmart here I come!
I agree about the warehouse clubs. I joined Costco last November and around Dec/Jan was looking at the Michelin's and Bridgestone's. Got a few quotes depending which brand was on sale but decided to wait and research more tires. Recently got quotes again and (going from memory) it seems prices increased about ~$100 since then. The recent quote for the new Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra was still > $100 more than these Pirelli's. Gotta jump on the deals as tire prices are getting a bit obscene.

Had the pirelliI scorpion AS 3s installed today at Walmart. they did a good job with the install, but it took a while as they only had 1 tech working this morning and, well, he wasn’t the fastest. Have to say, I’m super impressed with these tires even though I barely have any miles on them. They are very quiet, seem to absorb bumps better and handling was great. Like the look of the tires too as there is a slight lip or offset between the tire and the rim. Was so impressed, came home and orderEd a second set for my 2019 cx5. Can’t beat the price, $600 installed. I knew those yokos were garbage.View attachment 314023View attachment 314024
Thanks for the feedback and pictures. Lookin' good!. That gap is from the molded in raised rim protector. Can't wait to get mine. Due in Monday.

Other chains like Mavis offer a similar menu of free services including free puncture repairs. I should have been clearer earlier when I said I paid them for a puncture repair. On that occasion, the originals were purchased elsewhere. I was not inclined to wait somewhere else to save $20.
The good thing on flat repair at Discount Tire or America’s Tire is they’ll do it for free including a new valve stem and balancing even if the tire wasn’t purchased from them. They’d fixed the flat many times on my stock tires. Some forum members here even claim DT/AT will do tire rotation on their stock tires for free although I’ve never tried that as I can do stock tire rotation by myself.

I'm curious as to whether American's tire requires wear down to the 2/32" before making a treadwear claim. And how do they make that determination if the wear is uneven, like if the outside has scrubbed off to 2/32 but with 5/32 on the rest of the tire?
I’ve been a faithful DT customer since 1980’s, and I’ve been going through the pro-rated mileage warranty credit process with DT many times. Of course it depends on the rep like everything else, but most of time the DT rep would start to urge me to get a set of new tires when the tread depth is at 4/32”. This means I can get 20% credit back from my original tire purchase price towards the new tire purchase if the 50K-mile warranty tires have been used for 40K miles at the time. I didn’t have experience on the uneven tire wear situation like you described as I keep up checking the tire pressure and tire wear all the time. All I can say is those DT reps are very generous on tread depth and they l’ll tell you it’s time to get new tires when the tread depth is at 3/32” ~ 4/32” anywhere on the tire tread.

And their 30-day free tire replacement warranty is real. Once I wasn’t satisfied on a new set of Michelin tires installed on my 2000 BMW 528i as they’re too noisy on the highway, they replaced them with another set but the noise was still the same. They replaced them again the 3rd time with Michelin’s but different model. That made me became a life-time DT customer.

I'm curious as to whether American's tire requires wear down to the 2/32" before making a treadwear claim. And how do they make that determination if the wear is uneven, like if the outside has scrubbed off to 2/32 but with 5/32 on the rest of the tire?
Lol. Safe treads 4/32 but they only resolve at the legal 2/32. Laws need changed
The good thing on flat repair at Discount Tire or America’s Tire is they’ll do it for free including a new valve stem and balancing even if the tire wasn’t purchased from them. They’d fixed the flat many times on my stock tires. Some forum members here even claim DT/AT will do tire rotation on their stock tires for free although I’ve never tried that as I can do stock tire rotation by myself.

I’ve been a faithful DT customer since 1980’s, and I’ve been going through the pro-rated mileage warranty credit process with DT many times. Of course it depends on the rep like everything else, but most of time the DT rep would start to urge me to get a set of new tires when the tread depth is at 4/32”. This means I can get 20% credit back from my original tire purchase price towards the new tire purchase if the 50K-mile warranty tires have been used for 40K miles at the time. I didn’t have experience on the uneven tire wear situation like you described as I keep up checking the tire pressure and tire wear all the time. All I can say is those DT reps are very generous on tread depth and they l’ll tell you it’s time to get new tires when the tread depth is at 3/32” ~ 4/32” anywhere on the tire tread.

And their 30-day free tire replacement warranty is real. Once I wasn’t satisfied on a new set of Michelin tires installed on my 2000 BMW 528i as they’re too noisy on the highway, they replaced them with another set but the noise was still the same. They replaced them again the 3rd time with Michelin’s but different model. That made me became a life-time DT customer.
Sounds great. My nearest DT is an hour away though so not worth the drive. Luckily my local shop does cheap repairs and rotations as long as you bought the tires there.

⋯ Like the look of the tires too as there is a slight lip or offset between the tire and the rim.
These PirelliI Scorpion AS 3’s certainly are very nice tires. And the price is good too considering the current high inflation situation. That lip is designed to protect very expensive rim from the curb. But don’t trust it too much as my daughter still managed to scratch a couple of rims from the curb on her brand new 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE even though the stock Yokohama Avid GT tire does have this rim-protection lip.

Back