Buyout my CX5?

That's illegal in almost every state. People don't generally know this though, so nobody calls them on it, and so they get away with it, a lot. It's bulls***, but so is the entire dealership franchise model here in the 21st century.

There was a news report that a local station in Florida that I watched that got a dealer in a ton of hot water, and they were forced to refund tens of thousands of dollars to unsuspecting victims.

Your response above was in reference to prior members post "dealer taking lease car back, certify it and resell it back to you for an additonal 1 k +."
( I'm assuming this is 1k over your lease buyout and not 1k additonal over the current Market value.)

Normally i would agree with you. However,
Depending on the numbers that may not be a bad things.
While a dealership almost always profits...
This may be a win-win scenario for dealer and customer.

Again a numbers crunch would need ta be done but if you got it turned into a cpo with 7 year/100,000 mile warranty especially with the potential engine/coolant mishap of these engine then that might work in your favor.

Of course, you would want these new terms(purchase price and warranty) laid out on paper before you relinquish your lease.
And no new add on fees(aside from taxes and tags, if necessary)

Last edited:
Well, I know actual people that were denied a higher buyout than what's in the contract. I didn't just overhear a conversation. :)

What they are doing though, is taking the car and selling it back to the person after they "certify" it for $1k+.
Unless we're misunderstanding each other, I'm not talking about a dealer denying a higher buyout than what's in the contract, or "taking" back the car. I'm referring to a dealer 'offering' to by the car back and putting dollars in to the lessee's pocket

As it turned out, I learned something I did not know, even after decades of buying out leases. That hidden gem is this: When we sat down with our salesman on the new Mazda and told him about that buyout, by way of explaining why we weren't trading-in the 2017, he told us he could have handled the re-fi and gotten us at least $1,000 off the buyout, if not more, for running the financing on it through Mazda (actually Toyota Financial Services now).
I'd be careful with that. You'd have to compare the dealer interest rate to what you'd get from the CU or other source. It could be meaningfully higher. Also, doing two deals simultaneously can muddy the waters whereby the new lease cost ends up being higher than if it was negotiated separately.

As for the future of end-of-lease buyout "free money", the best may be behind us. Used car prices appear to have hit an inflection point with prices dropping at the wholesale auctions even for the prime 3 year olds. Where things stand a year from now is hard to judge but recent trends are less encouraging for favorable trade values or free money at end-of-lease buyouts. Results will vary by geography, make, model, age and condition but the broad valuation trend is tipping downward.

As for the future of end-of-lease buyout "free money", the best may be behind us. Used car prices appear to have hit an inflection point with prices dropping at the wholesale auctions even for the prime 3 year olds. Where things stand a year from now is hard to judge but recent trends are less encouraging for favorable trade values or free money at end-of-lease buyouts. Results will vary by geography, make, model, age and condition but the broad valuation trend is tipping downward.

Yes. Noticed last month that used car inventory was increasing alot(doubled from prior year) and values we're slightly dropped(only small drop compared to last year)

Values should continue downtrend...

Unless there is some other cataclysmic natural disaster or large worldwide geopolitical event that causes more destabilization and supply chain disruption.

Unforseeable but also somewhat unlikely.

Yes. Noticed last month that used car inventory was increasing alot(doubled from prior year) and values we're slightly dropped(only small drop compared to last year)

Values should continue downtrend...

Unless there is some other cataclysmic natural disaster or large worldwide geopolitical event that causes more destabilization and supply chain disruption.

Unforseeable but also somewhat unlikely.
The canary in the coal mine appears to be subprime repos on the rise while subprime lenders are raising their loan loss reserves. We'll just have to wait and see how far and fast supply pressure on valuations trickles down.

Back