2017~2024 Installing front CX-5 sway bar, what to do with steering?

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
I'm putting a hardrace front sway bar on my '19 CX-5 GTR. Lowering the rear of the front subframe looks like a must. I can see that the steering rack is going to come along with the subframe. Is it okay for me to lower the rack a couple/few inches? I assume I shouldn't touch the wheels or steering wheel while it's lowered, but I don't know anything about the linkage in there. Not sure it's okay to drop the rack a little even if the wheels are immobilized. Thanks for any knowledge here!

Anytime you touch/move suspension/steering components, you should check the alignment. May not need one, but worth checking.

Question: why are you replacing front sway bar? Do you already have an aftermarket rear?

From my experience, most people go the rear sway bar only route to reduce/eliminate understeer and add steering response.

Yeah, I've got the rear installed and want more flat. Went ahead and lowered the back of the subframe but I can't for the life of me snake the stock bar out. If I can't figure it out today I'm gonna have to just give up on it.

Had to figure out disconnecting the steering shaft from the rack, and the exhaust at the flex pipe, but I finally was able to get the front subframe to come down enough I could swap out the stabilizer. Man, what a pita, but I'm one step closer to having the sportiest cuv in the world!

So after you were able to release the steering shaft from the rack were you able to lower the sub frame a few inches? I'm in the process of changing a manifold and want to have everything covered before I start

So after you were able to release the steering shaft from the rack were you able to lower the sub frame a few inches? I'm in the process of changing a manifold and want to have everything covered before I start
Yeah, can't remember exactly how far, but i think it was about a few inches.

Back