2017~2022 Installing front CX-5 sway bar, what to do with steering?

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
I'm putting a hardrace front sway bar on my '19 CX-5 GTR. Lowering the rear of the front subframe looks like a must. I can see that the steering rack is going to come along with the subframe. Is it okay for me to lower the rack a couple/few inches? I assume I shouldn't touch the wheels or steering wheel while it's lowered, but I don't know anything about the linkage in there. Not sure it's okay to drop the rack a little even if the wheels are immobilized. Thanks for any knowledge here!

:
2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)
Anytime you touch/move suspension/steering components, you should check the alignment. May not need one, but worth checking.

Question: why are you replacing front sway bar? Do you already have an aftermarket rear?

From my experience, most people go the rear sway bar only route to reduce/eliminate understeer and add steering response.

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
Yeah, I've got the rear installed and want more flat. Went ahead and lowered the back of the subframe but I can't for the life of me snake the stock bar out. If I can't figure it out today I'm gonna have to just give up on it.

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
Had to figure out disconnecting the steering shaft from the rack, and the exhaust at the flex pipe, but I finally was able to get the front subframe to come down enough I could swap out the stabilizer. Man, what a pita, but I'm one step closer to having the sportiest cuv in the world!

Latest posts