Retaining camera on 2010 CX-9 with 4.3" Bose screen?

:
2010 CX-9 FWD Touring
Anyone know if you can use AX-MAZCAM-6V or AX-CAM6V from Axxess to retain camera from OEM rear camera on a modern head unit?

I've seen a number of threads about this - but then mention the Nav OEM headunit. I have the "Bose Audio System; with 4.3" LCD Screen" in a 2010 CX-9 Touring.

Last edited:
But the website says its only for 2010s with Nav unit - Crutchfield says the same, why I'm asking here if anyone has actually used either of these kits on the Bose 4.3" headunit.
Because without the 4.3" screen/nav unit, you don't have a factory b/u camera.

Because without the 4.3" screen/nav unit, you don't have a factory b/u camera.
There were three options in 2010.

The bose 4.3" unit non-nav with backup camera.
The larger 7" screen with navigation (I think also bose) that has a backup camera.
Radio with no screen. You could get a dealer installed OEM option for a backup camera in the rearview mirror.

This thread implies the adapters are incompatible with the 4.3" screen:

I've never seen a post from someone with 4.3" bose head unit who managed to retain the camera when installing an aftermarket head unit.

I can now report that I have, indeed swapped out an aftermarket HU on a 4.3" screen, no nav system 2010 CX-9 and retained the factory OEM camera.

When you remove the HU, there is a connector that includes 5 wires, White (6V), White/Red (Video +), White/Blue (Video -) and two Black/Blue wires (GND). Photos show the connector and where it goes on the factory HU. The connector cannot be used for the swap, so you will need to cut it off to splice the wires.

The White wire puts out a constant 6V signal when the car is powered on. You will need the Axxess AX-MAZCAM-6V Backup Camera Harness for this swap. You will connect the YELLOW MAZCAM power wire to the WHITE wire, the BLACK MAZCAM GND wire to the BLACK/BLUE wires. The male RCA goes into the new HU and I cut the female end of the RCA wire to connect the RED wire (video+) to the WHITE/RED wire and the BLACK wire (video-) to the WHITE/BLUE wire.

For this swap, I also used the PAC RP4-MZ11 Wiring Interface, which retained steering wheel controls and also picks up the REVERSE signal to tell the camera to come on with the above wiring. You will need to splice in the reverse MAZCAM wire into the PAC wiring.

OEM factory camera is functioning with the new HU (Alpine ILX-650).

I have scoured these forums for anyone else that has done this on a 4.3" screen, no nav system and could not find anything. Hopefully this post will give hope to those of you with this type of stereo that want to retain the backup camera.

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_134112408.jpg
    PXL_20220526_134112408.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 179
  • PXL_20220526_134122532.jpg
    PXL_20220526_134122532.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 181
  • PXL_20220526_202015970.jpg
    PXL_20220526_202015970.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 170
I can now report that I have, indeed swapped out an aftermarket HU on a 4.3" screen, no nav system 2010 CX-9 and retained the factory OEM camera.

When you remove the HU, there is a connector that includes 5 wires, White (6V), White/Red (Video +), White/Blue (Video -) and two Black/Blue wires (GND). Photos show the connector and where it goes on the factory HU. The connector cannot be used for the swap, so you will need to cut it off to splice the wires.

The White wire puts out a constant 6V signal when the car is powered on. You will need the Axxess AX-MAZCAM-6V Backup Camera Harness for this swap. You will connect the YELLOW MAZCAM power wire to the WHITE wire, the BLACK MAZCAM GND wire to the BLACK/BLUE wires. The male RCA goes into the new HU and I cut the female end of the RCA wire to connect the RED wire (video+) to the WHITE/RED wire and the BLACK wire (video-) to the WHITE/BLUE wire.

For this swap, I also used the PAC RP4-MZ11 Wiring Interface, which retained steering wheel controls and also picks up the REVERSE signal to tell the camera to come on with the above wiring. You will need to splice in the reverse MAZCAM wire into the PAC wiring.

I have scoured these forums for anyone else that has done this on a 4.3" screen, no nav system and could not find anything. Hopefully this post will give hope to those of you with this type of stereo that want to retain the backup camera.
Doing a similar install of new HU on 2011CX-9, but wanted to retain existing Back up camera. Which wire on the PAC RP4-MZ11 picks up the Reverse signal? Mine has three wires which say NAV Unit. One of these says REVERSE(+). It only has 12V when the car is not in Reverse, in Reverse it goes to (0V). Camera is on in opposite sequence(PND), not reverse. Don't want to try to find power from tailgate Backup lights. Any ideas? Thanks

After several calls to Crutchfield (new HU supplier) given info on Reverse power from
BackUp Lights. Access from red wire with yellow stripe found behind drivers side kick panel. See JPG. This is for 2011 CX-9.
2011 Mazda CX-9 Reverse Power from BackUP Lights.JPG

how satisfied are you with your new radio? did you have the bose 6 cd changer with the sub ? and is everything working except for the cd changer? and also what about the OEM microphone for Bluetooth is there a way to save it? I rather not have another mic glued to the console.

For what it's worth... I did an replacement of my OEM Bose/Nav unit a while back with a kit from Crutchfield. It was a BOSS HU and all the associated harnesses needed to retain the BU camera and the steering wheel controls. I posted somewhere in another thread about it.

The one thing I could not keep was the OEM microphone. I had to install the one that came with the unit. I routed mine up and to the void under the steering column and mounted the mic pointing out on the trim piece directly to the right of the column. It's not at all visible and works well as it does not pick up any noise from the ventilation system etc...

Did you have to open up all the trim to bring the microphone where the oem is? Mine is in the center where the sunglasses holder is.
The mic's are all in the same spot. I pulled the dome light out then fished the wire in behind the roof liner and down the a-pillar.

Last edited:
Wow that's some stellar work you did there, do you have an in depth of the fishing part and what the new stereo looks like?
Thanks. Nothing on the fishing part. I couldn't get the a-pillar panel off, so was forced to fish it with an old clothes hanger.

The basics on the install:

Random pics and info during the install:

Thanks. Nothing on the fishing part. I couldn't get the a-pillar panel off, so was forced to fish it with an old clothes hanger.

The basics on the install:

Random pics and info during the install:
Kk, my next question is, from the pictures it seems you don't have the h/m/info buttons to adjust the time and if you want to see your gaz consumption etc, how did you get mazda cx9 written there?

Kk, my next question is, from the pictures it seems you don't have the h/m/info buttons to adjust the time and if you want to see your gaz consumption etc, how did you get mazda cx9 written there?
The PAC RP4 does all that.

Back