Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
anyone know if the new engine would come with a new 5/60 warranty or does it fall under your current warranty? my 2018 GT (38.5K miles) was diagnosed with the crack issue after coolant leak noticed, orignally they said oil was clean (no coolant mixed in) & just the part would be replaced. When i went yesterday to get a loaner car (mine is down until April/May) they told me they are now going to replace the engine instead.

this was from Mada's TSB, need to go by your VIN#

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS US Spec.:
2019-2020 CX-5 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KF******830243 (produced before Jun. 9, 2020)
2016-2020 CX-9 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TC******422801 (produced before Jun. 9, 2020)
2018-2020 Mazda6 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GL******523967 (produced before Mar. 25, 2020)
Mexico Spec.: 2019-2020 Mazda6 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GL******523672 (produced before Mar. 21, 2020) DESCRIPTIO

Thanks for that information. However, not sure how the original VIN will determine the build date of the new engine that was installed.

anyone know if the new engine would come with a new 5/60 warranty or does it fall under your current warranty? my 2018 GT (38.5K miles) was diagnosed with the crack issue after coolant leak noticed, orignally they said oil was clean (no coolant mixed in) & just the part would be replaced. When i went yesterday to get a loaner car (mine is down until April/May) they told me they are now going to replace the engine instead.
Current. If outside, 1yr/12k.

Warranty picks up where old left off, until factory power train is over from purchase. If no warranty left and you were paying, then you get 1 year 12k miles standard on all parts unless they have a longer warranty for engines but you'd have to ask them.

Really?
So, all these folks who had cracked head or head gasket blown didn't take care of their 2.5T well enough to develop their issues?

My CX-5 2.5T is within the effected range, if I do frequent oil and filter changes (with full synthetic) than the manual states, will I be OK? I'm asking because I don't drive much, by the time I reach the end of 5yr/60,000mile powertrain warranty, I'll be at around 40,000 miles, worried.
I'm speaking in general. Obviously design flaws and recalls aren't part of those terms in that sense and it's ymmv if or when your engine may be affected. I'm in the same boat with my 2020 CX-9 GT built in 2/2020. I've changed the oil 3 times in 10k miles (including after first 1k since new) with full synthetic but that won't stop a flaw. It will stop premature wear on the turbo and engine absolutely but not a crack in the head. Keep in mind that the number of cases is low on this forum and most people don't post on forums about it so we don't know exactly the population of confirmed cases but if Mazda issued a TSB then they had enough cases presented to investigate and make a manufacturing correction. If you are really worried, then take out an extended service contract from those yaa guys on YT or trade in for new 2022 now while prices are high for used cars.

Almost three months after the engine went into the shop, got it back today with the new engine. First 50 miles or so seems good so far. I'll let you know if any issues come up.

Hearing what sounds like water circulating under the passenger side dash area when the car first starts up. Didn't do this before the new engine was put in.

Any idea what this could be before I contact the dealer? I can start a new thread about this if needed.

Hearing what sounds like water circulating under the passenger side dash area when the car first starts up. Didn't do this before the new engine was put in.

Any idea what this could be before I contact the dealer? I can start a new thread about this if needed.
Air not purged from cooling system

Is this something I can do or just have the dealer do it?
Sure, start the engine with the radiator cap off and heater and fan on hot at full blast for 20 minutes. The thermostat will open allowing coolant to flow through all hoses and heater core and any air will bubble out of radiator fill tube. Add more coolant as level goes down until no more bubbling or gurgling at the fill tube, then top off and replace the cap. Done

I owned a CX5 back in 2015 I think it was. Got it new, loved it. Had to sell it cuz I moved to remote Alaska. Almost purchased another one a few weeks ago. Then I found out that Mazda put cylinder deactivation on this very nice and fuel efficient engine. I won’t buy a vehicle with CD. Ford also put CD on the 5.0 coyote v8. CD is a whole other thread. So I still love the Mazda brand, So I almost bought a CX5 with the turbo as a way to not have CD. Then I looked at the prices and what I was getting for my money and I thought I just buy CX9 touring. Now I am hearing about crack heads on the CD and Turbo Mazda 2.5s. If this is the latest TSB revision to this subject I am guessing the head/gasket/bolts/block/assembly procedure has been corrected? Does anybody know the actual defect that caused these engines to fail? And does anybody know if this defect has been corrected? I’m curious as hell to what the problem was/is and I’m also leery about dropping $40,000 on a car that’s gonna blow up. I’d rather have normally aspirated engine. I just drove a Highlander today and It drove like a brick. I really want to pull the trigger on the CX9

I owned a CX5 back in 2015 I think it was. Got it new, loved it. Had to sell it cuz I moved to remote Alaska. Almost purchased another one a few weeks ago. Then I found out that Mazda put cylinder deactivation on this very nice and fuel efficient engine. I won’t buy a vehicle with CD. Ford also put CD on the 5.0 coyote v8. CD is a whole other thread. So I still love the Mazda brand, So I almost bought a CX5 with the turbo as a way to not have CD. Then I looked at the prices and what I was getting for my money and I thought I just buy CX9 touring. Now I am hearing about crack heads on the CD and Turbo Mazda 2.5s. If this is the latest TSB revision to this subject I am guessing the head/gasket/bolts/block/assembly procedure has been corrected? Does anybody know the actual defect that caused these engines to fail? And does anybody know if this defect has been corrected? I’m curious as hell to what the problem was/is and I’m also leery about dropping $40,000 on a car that’s gonna blow up. I’d rather have normally aspirated engine. I just drove a Highlander today and It drove like a brick. I really want to pull the trigger on the CX9
Not sure if the CX-5 suffers from the cracks.

I am Just wondering if the 2022 CX9 engines have been updated so this is no longer a problem. And curious what the problem was

I am Just wondering if the 2022 CX9 engines have been updated so this is no longer a problem. And curious what the problem was
As it's not listed in the TSB, the 2021+ Mazda's equipped with the 2.5T engines are good to go. You should not have a problem.

It makes sense. Why send out new cars with the problem they are swapping engines to fix?
Exactly.

With Mazda being able to list an exact date down to the day for the TSB suggests that they corrected whatever the issue was on the production line and feel confident that it has been resolved. I am in Canada and the TSB does not mention anything about Canadian models, but since they all come off the same production line I think Canadian models will probably be subjected to the same issues, maybe we just haven't publicly seen the Canadian version of this TSB. Either way, I feel safe knowing my 2021 Signature (Build date 9/20) is safe, as well as any 2.5T model 2021+, but I still check it regularly for any leaks since I do my own services. Yesterday was actually my 1 year anniversary of taking delivery of it and other than scheduled maintenance, it's been faultless. Knock on wood it stays that way!

Mazda is comparatively a small automaker and aside from their ties with Toyota these days they are independent. Mazda cannot afford to make a massive error that could cost them dearly in the long run. Since the 2.5T is in everything aside from the CX-3 and MX-5 and will see widespread use in the new CX-50 in North America as well now they will have gotten this issue resolved very quickly.

Yup. I read tsb and on the second page I think it says they made changes to the head and the head to exhaust manifold gasket. So the head and that gasket probably have new part numbers from the redesign. Attributed the cause of the problem to high heat in the exhaust manifold and also “production” and also stresses to that area applied while going over bumps. The head was cracking at the exhaust studs. They probably just added a bunch more aluminum around that area and made it more beefy.

I was so happy after reading that I went out and bought a new one today! Silver Touring. Got about $1500 off MSRP and they didn’t even try to sell me any Dealer add-ons. Just $150 dock fee. Drives SOOOOO much better then the Highlander I drove yesterday. But the Highlander has more cargo and can tow more. There’s always trade-offs.

Yup. I read tsb and on the second page I think it says they made changes to the head and the head to exhaust manifold gasket. So the head and that gasket probably have new part numbers from the redesign. Attributed the cause of the problem to high heat in the exhaust manifold and also “production” and also stresses to that area applied while going over bumps. The head was cracking at the exhaust studs. They probably just added a bunch more aluminum around that area and made it more beefy.

I was so happy after reading that I went out and bought a new one today! Silver Touring. Got about $1500 off MSRP and they didn’t even try to sell me any Dealer add-ons. Just $150 dock fee. Drives SOOOOO much better then the Highlander I drove yesterday. But the Highlander has more cargo and can tow more. There’s always trade-offs.
Congrats! Mind sharing the trim level and other aspects such as dealer and if you had a trade or not and post that in the price paid thread? Would help out many.

Back