2022 CX-5?

I think we'll see a 2024 CX-5 before the nameplate is retired.

Any thoughts/rumors on how how many model years this “refresh” will last and what comes next for the CX-5?
For over a year, the rumor-mill talked about the new RWD “BMW-beater” CX-50 replacing the CX-5.
Now that we know the CX-50 will be a much more modest model, I wonder what that means for the CX-5?
I don't think it will be modest, just not based on the rear wheel drive platform. For me the best idea we will get will be from how the rear wheel drive system works. If it powers all the wheels all the time it could still be quite good. There is a reason journalists consider the Fiesta ST one of the most fun to drive cars ever. If Mazda puts enough time and effort into the new CX-50 it can still be the next best thing.

Any thoughts/rumors on how how many model years this “refresh” will last and what comes next for the CX-5?
For over a year, the rumor-mill talked about the new RWD “BMW-beater” CX-50 replacing the CX-5.
Now that we know the CX-50 will be a much more modest model, I wonder what that means for the CX-5?
my educated guess is that there will be a real redesign in 2023

Some new video from Japan for (2021?) Mazda6 “Black Tone Edition”. It looks like a station wagon.

Last edited:
Looks like Mazda has determined to eliminate the front fog lights based on these 2 videos. The stalk shows only rear fog light icon without front fog lights position.

Mazda6:
E5AB9D11-A410-4600-B576-F917A4872408.png

CX-5:
8ABA0391-A27D-4B8D-96A0-4BBE934D463F.png

And the DVD /CD player is still available in Japan:

Mazda6:
6A56D2DE-925A-4F7D-B6CF-80EBC13A3ABA.png

Saw this latest video 《New Mazda CX-5 2022 - Redesigned Crossover SUV》, it does show the BMW “Angel Eye” style “fog lights”:

Saw this latest video 《New Mazda CX-5 2022 - Redesigned Crossover SUV》, it does show the BMW “Angel Eye” style “fog lights”:

Yes, I saw that YouTube too. That's the first reference or visual I've seen for fog lamps. Have there been others?

Those definitely aren't fog lights - true fog lights only come on with the low beams. You'll see that later on in the video, those lights are part of the "daylight kit", and they are referred to as LED accessory lights. It kind of seems like Mazda acknowledges that the fog lights on the pre-facelifted 2nd gen don't actually do much, so now they're just calling them accessory lights (if these are indeed fog light replacements).

I think they look out of place, with the new design of the squarish LED DRLs. It also looks like there should be actual fog lights in the centers of those rings. Who knows, maybe there will be.

Those definitely aren't fog lights - true fog lights only come on with the low beams.
Not necessary. This rule only applicable to the US and very few other countries in the world. Fog lights can be turned on independently without low-beams in EU and Asia. The 2022 CX-5 in the video is a JDM model, so the front “fog lights” can be on without low-beams, although the video called them “LED Accessary Lights”.

Last edited:
Those definitely aren't fog lights - true fog lights only come on with the low beams. You'll see that later on in the video, those lights are part of the "daylight kit", and they are referred to as LED accessory lights. It kind of seems like Mazda acknowledges that the fog lights on the pre-facelifted 2nd gen don't actually do much, so now they're just calling them accessory lights (if these are indeed fog light replacements).

I think they look out of place, with the new design of the squarish LED DRLs. It also looks like there should be actual fog lights in the centers of those rings. Who knows, maybe there will be.
What does the “daylight kit” consist of?

Personally, I think the new front end has lost some of the refinement of the pre-facelift CX-5, including the “designer” fog lights, even if they were just marker lights in practice. I do like some of the other things that are coming, like the seats, transmission and NVH improvements. But maybe it will look better in person.

Not necessary. This rule only applicable to the US and very few other countries in the world. Fog lights can be turned on independently without low-beams in EU and Asia. The 2022 CX-5 in the video is a JDM model, so the front “fog lights” can be on without low-beams, although the video called them “LED Accessary Lights”.

You're right. But would you call those fog lights? I personally wouldn't, they don't project a beam of any sort. It looks like it's just cosmetic lighting. Maybe the actual fog lights just haven't been switched on in the video.

From what I recall, fog lights are not listed as an option for the NA market, but if they are available in NA, they will likely come in a tech package of some sort, since the 2022 CX-5 Signature shown here does not have the LED accessory lights.

I think the videos and pictures are mostly from the Japanese site. What we'll have in US is yet to be seen.

AEBD18CE-0D80-4200-BD29-6634C596445A.jpeg

85DD2F2B-FA93-4E50-8137-471DA396F76F.jpeg

Last edited:
For me, there’s a lot of contradictory information and confusion about the model changes for 2022/2023.

But I think the consensus is that:
a) the 2022 CX 5 is a carryover of the current generation with few if any changes
b) a larger CX 5/50 will be launched in 2022 as a 2023

Is that the general feeling here, or is there some new inside scoop?

And when can we expect to see the 2022? I think the 2021 was first reviewed in late August/September last year.
Read today that the redo will come in 22 but only with the NA and T 2.5 and the 6 version wont come till 23..

I'm a little late to the party (thread), I'm a Signature guy, if I had the choice I'm going with the 2021. Don't like the body colored wheel well trim and lower front parts. Too subject to blemishes so I like the black, YMMV

Some more detailed news and pricing from the Canadian market on the 2022 CX5.

On top of the other news that we already knew, it seems that the Turbo engine is getting a slight bump in hp, from 250 to 256, while the torque remains the same at 320.

Some more detailed news and pricing from the Canadian market on the 2022 CX5.

On top of the other news that we already knew, it seems that the Turbo engine is getting a slight bump in hp, from 250 to 256, while the torque remains the same at 320.

Thanks. Will be interesting to see what things from the CX-50 are found in the 2022 CX-5.

The CX-5 GX features Mazda's Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter, four-cylinder naturally aspirated engine. This efficient powertrain can deliver up to 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque with any fuel grade.

Up to 187hp with any fuel grade?

The 6hp bump on the turbo is also interesting. I wonder what they did? I always wondered if the "extra" 10 ft/lbs stated starting in '20 was actually an upgrade or if they just retested the motor and found it had 320 vs 310. 6hp is such a minor amount which would make no difference at all in performance. I will have to try a '22 out when they show up and see if the improvements are actually noticeable.

Back