2017~2024 CX-5 trunk opens out of no where?

I am not sure if I am to close to the car where I accidently pressing the trunk lift gate to open on my key fob.

This happened twice already. Not sure if its a common issue as I seen people talking about it to the old CX-5. I currently own the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo edition.

But the thing is I was at my work place where its pretty far to open the lift gate. Even tested at my desk it didnt open when I held it. Is there a way I can program it or disable the lift gate on my keyfob?

Thanks

I am not sure if I am to close to the car where I accidently pressing the trunk lift gate to open on my key fob.

This happened twice already. Not sure if its a common issue as I seen people talking about it to the old CX-5. I currently own the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo edition.

But the thing is I was at my work place where its pretty far to open the lift gate. Even tested at my desk it didnt open when I held it. Is there a way I can program it or disable the lift gate on my keyfob?

Thanks
I thought for 2021 CX-5 you have newer credit card sized key fob which is not as bulky as the old one with the buttons on the side edge, hence reduced the chance of hitting the power liftgate button accidentally?

IMO there’s something within the software design on liftgate control module. You can only keep trying some experiments to verify if your liftgate indeed has a mind of its own, then have the Mazda to check it out with some evidence to present.

I found that you must press and hold to get the rear lift gate to open, unlike the doors. I have no issue with that. Ed

I used a utube video about changing the keyfob battery and took it a step further to cut off the plastic tab behind the keyfob trunk button to make it inoperable. I always use the button on the liftgate as opposed to digging in my pocket anyway. Several times I have set off the car alarm with the panic button but I just put up with that...

We just bought a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo. 3 times now we've had the lift gate open spontaneously while the car is in the garage.

The key fob has 4 buttons on the side, and they are slightly raised. It's possible that I'm pressing the lift-gate side button in my pocket, but after reading various posts about it happening to people who were not carrying their key fob in their pocket, I'm not so sure. If the lift gate open button is getting pressed, I would expect to also press the lock button, unlock button, or panic button too. I haven't seen any signs of that.

One of the times it opened my wife shut the garage door and a metal part of the opener dug a nice deep gouge on the back of the lift gate.

This seems like a pretty serious design flaw with the lift gate. Either there's something wrong with the car, or the buttons on the remote are too exposed and easy to trigger. The idea that you can't carry a car key in your pocket without opening the lift gate spontaneously is absurd.

I've seen posts from people who have come back to their CX-5 parked on the street only to find the lift gate open. That sounds like a great way to get robbed.

Mazda needs to fix this, and they should repair the scratch in our back hatch as well.

If the lift gate open button is getting pressed, I would expect to also press the lock button, unlock button, or panic button too. I haven't seen any signs of that.
I believe this alone should prove that there’s something wrong on Mazda’s power liftgate system design. The liftgate open button must be pressed and held to get the rear lift gate to open, this means the button is the most difficult one to activate the said function. If the door lock / unlock and panic buttons on the key fob have never got triggered while the fob is in the pocket, it really doesn’t make any sense that only the liftgate button gets activated and causes unintended liftgate opening.

We just bought a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo. 3 times now we've had the lift gate open spontaneously while the car is in the garage.

The key fob has 4 buttons on the side, and they are slightly raised. It's possible that I'm pressing the lift-gate side button in my pocket, but after reading various posts about it happening to people who were not carrying their key fob in their pocket, I'm not so sure. If the lift gate open button is getting pressed, I would expect to also press the lock button, unlock button, or panic button too. I haven't seen any signs of that.

One of the times it opened my wife shut the garage door and a metal part of the opener dug a nice deep gouge on the back of the lift gate.

This seems like a pretty serious design flaw with the lift gate. Either there's something wrong with the car, or the buttons on the remote are too exposed and easy to trigger. The idea that you can't carry a car key in your pocket without opening the lift gate spontaneously is absurd.

I've seen posts from people who have come back to their CX-5 parked on the street only to find the lift gate open. That sounds like a great way to get robbed.

Mazda needs to fix this, and they should repair the scratch in our back hatch as well.
I have same problem. 2021 Mazda CX-5. I reported to NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. It’s not because of sensitive key fob!

Back