Anyone install a CX-5 cold air intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks similar to the K&N cold air intake that I was checking out yesterday.

Are you looking to use a CX-9 intake from K&N.. because I currently don't see CX-5 listed.

another option:

related conversation:

There was a recent discussion about this in the CX-9 subforum.

CorkSport's intake is the exact same for the 2.5T engine, regardless of whether it's for the 6, CX-5 or CX-9. With that said, the "box" or "shield" from the other brands is, IMO, just for show (for reasons explained in the linked thread and quote below).

Those are both "short ram intakes". A cold air intake, at least in the traditional sense, has a longer tube that extends further from the engine bay (usually down to the bumper where the ambient air is slightly cooler).

According to Unobtanium's communications with CorkSport (he installed the intake on his CX-5 GT Reserve), they determined that the "air box" was not necessary and provided no measurable benefit. Without a dyno graph from K&N to compare with, I guess we'll never know.

The K&N does reuse the OEM fresh air scoop, but it doesn't matter since the "box" isn't fully sealed. If it were, the intake would be pulling all of the air from the scoop, which pulls the air that flows over the radiator (just like the way the OEM airbox works). That's what I would like to see made, as that is, for all intents and purposes, a cold air intake.

TL;DR, if you want an air intake, the best value is the CorkSport intake at the moment. The other ones provide the same function, but charge an extra $80-150 for the "box/shield".

I really enjoy the extra noise that comes along with a sporty intake. While I wait for an intake for my ride, I ordered a Corksport Ram Intake for my wife’s CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, with the 2.5 Turbo.

5 out of 5, would definitely recommend! It was less expensive than the other options I found. I’ve had AEM and K&N intakes on a variety of vehicles, and this is right there in quality of fit and finish.

0DA16DA3-A713-4B24-B841-34B63D62BB50.jpeg

Even though you can hear the bypass in the OEM air box part of the video, the in-person difference is night and day.

Last edited:
I though our CX-5 has had cold air intake already from factory?

View attachment 227209

Yea, they do, but this filter element seems to be larger, and getting rid of the OEM box removes the baffling and silencers...The Corksport heat shield has a port for the ram/fresh-air tube.

It may be a wash and kill a little power down on the bottom end, but gain a bit on the top end. I’m betting it’s because the open filter sucks in more air when it’s really spinning. However, the lack of closed box probably lets a small amount of boost out that would otherwise help power on the low end.

Oh well...I like the sound! My wife didn’t want exhaust, but I thought it needed a little more noise. Now it’s enough for me, and she’s not upset. She had to drive it twice before she noticed. Apparently it’s not that noticeable, or she drives a bit more smoothly than I do.

I've had the CorkSport air intake on my CX-9 (same one used on the 2.5T engine in the CX-5 and Mazda6) for about 21,000 kms. FWIW, I didn't notice a difference in low-end performance. This intake, paired with higher octane fuel, makes highway merging effortless.

The OEM air intake system is indeed a "cold air" system. The snorkel shown in yrwei52's pic draws air in from the open area in front of the radiator via the cutout around the hood latch. The OEM system also uses more restrictive piping and a more restrictive filter element.

Corksport's dyno chart with their intake installed shows an increase of 8-12 hp from 4k RPM to redline. I believe they were able to achieve this by making the intake system less restrictive by using smoother tubing with minimal bends and a more free flowing filter.

CSintakeDyno.JPG

I really enjoy the extra noise that comes along with a sporty intake. While I wait for an intake for my ride, I ordered a Corksport Ram Intake for my wife’s CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, with the 2.5 Turbo.

5 out of 5, would definitely recommend! It was less expensive than the other options I found. I’ve had AEM and K&N intakes on a variety of vehicles, and this is right there in quality of fit and finish.

View attachment 227201

Even though you can hear the bypass in the OEM air box part of the video, the in-person difference is night and day.

Any hp gain with your CS intake?

Easy way to show big HP gains is to compare the 1st dyno pull to any of the rest. A few pulls gets some heat into the lubes and then will show higher HP.

Want to increase cold air? Pull the plate around the hood latch. Buy some weather stripping and apply to the hood/grille top plate to seal off the path to the air intake. It causes speed to pressurize the air box and blocks engine heat. I can't feel any difference, but at least physics are with me. Pics after sun up.

The 2 extra pieces of weather stripping combine with the OEM pieces and seal that pocket on the hood adding miniscule pressure and excluding engine heat. Removing the latch cover may reduce air flow restriction.

Attachments

• 20201001_150758e.jpg
    20201001_150758e.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 737
  • 20201001_150745e.jpg
    20201001_150745e.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Any hp gain with your CS intake?

I don’t think my assdyno is that finely tuned... I think any perception of speed/power increase is related to the sound of the driving experience. The CX-5 doesn’t feel different with this intake, but it does sound better.

I also installed a CorkSport reinforced Boost Tube, and I feel like that made a more responsive pedal. Maybe both helped a LITTLE...?

Want to increase cold air? Pull the plate around the hood latch. Buy some weather stripping and apply to the hood/grille top plate to seal off the path to the air intake. It causes speed to pressurize the air box and blocks engine heat. I can't feel any difference, but at least physics are with me. Pics after sun up.

Pics?

I've had the CorkSport air intake on my CX-9 (same one used on the 2.5T engine in the CX-5 and Mazda6) for about 21,000 kms. FWIW, I didn't notice a difference in low-end performance. This intake, paired with higher octane fuel, makes highway merging effortless.

The OEM air intake system is indeed a "cold air" system. The snorkel shown in yrwei52's pic draws air in from the open area in front of the radiator via the cutout around the hood latch. The OEM system also uses more restrictive piping and a more restrictive filter element.

Corksport's dyno chart with their intake installed shows an increase of 8-12 hp from 4k RPM to redline. I believe they were able to achieve this by making the intake system less restrictive by using smoother tubing with minimal bends and a more free flowing filter.

View attachment 227215

Hmmmm I wonder if they did a tune on it after they put the short ram intake in.

Hmmmm I wonder if they did a tune on it after they put the short ram intake in.

My understanding is that they dyno test the car before installation, then dyno test it after installation. As far as I know, no tuning is performed - though I wish it was, because maybe then we could get Corksport to start tuning our cars, lol.

I don't remember if they state this on the product page, but it would be helpful to know if there are other mods installed on the test car (like the exhaust or the upgraded intercooler piping).

My understanding is that they dyno test the car before installation, then dyno test it after installation. As far as I know, no tuning is performed - though I wish it was, because maybe then we could get Corksport to start tuning our cars, lol.

I don't remember if they state this on the product page, but it would be helpful to know if there are other mods installed on the test car (like the exhaust or the upgraded intercooler piping).

Well, I am having a hard time believing that a CAI will produce 8-12 hp in any rev range. If that were possible then manufacturers would be dropping them in themselves.

Well, I am having a hard time believing that a CAI will produce 8-12 hp in any rev range. If that were possible then manufacturers would be dropping them in themselves.

For one, this is not a cold air intake. As far as I know, no manufacturer currently offers a "true" cold air intake, which IMO is an intake system that draws air in from anywhere outside of the engine bay (like the OEM system, or a system with the filter mounted somewhere behind the lower bumper).

Jason from Engineering Explained did his own dyno testing and real-world acceleration testing. He only changed the drop-in filter on an otherwise stock air intake system on a Subaru Crosstrek. In the video he explains his testing method.

OEM filter (used) - 158 hp, 137 lb-ft tq
OEM filter (new) - 160 hp, 137 lb-ft tq
Aftermarket (low-cost) - 163 hp, 141 lb-ft tq
Aftermarket (K&N) - 164.5 hp, 142.5 lb-ft tq

Increase of about 2.6% hp and 3.6% lb-ft tq from changing only the filter. He also notes that the Crosstrek has an additional charcoal filter that is separate from the air filter that adds another layer of restriction. Our cars don't have this extra layer of restriction.

He (Jason from EE) also explains that the gains are likely because the filters are more free-flowing (less restrictive), which means that they do not filter as well as the OEM filters, so that is definitely something to be aware of.

OEM air intake systems on cars like ours are not designed to make power, they're designed to lessen the engine noise and filter the air for a broad range of environments. By replacing the ridged, small diameter tubing that has some extra bends and the restrictive OEM filter with larger, smoother tubing that has fewer bends and a more free-flowing filter, air flow is increased, which allows the engine to perform better.

Testing exists that proves an aftermarket air intake system can improve performance. Has anyone done testing that proves otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back