2019 CX-5 Diesel

I was given a CX-5 diesel as a loaner today when they serviced my Reserve (I guess they had to find some use for it), so I drove it around town for a while and took it out on the interstate.

The things I immediately noticed were the roughness of it (not quite as smooth driving as my Reserve) and the acceleration...it was fine, but it was different. You could really tell that the transmission is geared differently. But it moved on the interstate when I put my foot into it.

The computer mileage for its 1,000 miles was 27, I assume mostly around town. That's not spectacular, but my Reserve only gets 19 until it warms up, and that takes 10 miles or so. After 8,000 miles my computer mileage is under 24.

Getting back into my Reserve, I could tell how much quieter and smoother a ride it is. The difference is stark.
Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
Yeh, it's not a Car & Driver review. I only had it for a bit. And I'm certainly no expert.

The one thing I forgot to emphasize is that if the diesel doesn't have the "Your mileage will suck the first 10 miles you drive it" syndrome that I've seen in my turbo, then the spread in MPGs for certain drivers in in-town or short-trip conditions may be much greater than advertised. And I kicked in $5 of diesel (they asked me to)...it was only $2.75/gallon here. That's no more expensive than regular gas.

And the transmission is geared different because of the diesel's torque curve (the sales guy and I were discussing this.) So if you tow things routinely, that also might make a difference in favor of the diesel. The overall torque specs are close to each other, but it's not linear across the RPM range.

⋯ The one thing I forgot to emphasize is that if the diesel doesn't have the "Your mileage will suck the first 10 miles you drive it" syndrome that I've seen in my turbo, then the spread in MPGs for certain drivers in in-town or short-trip conditions may be much greater than advertised.
Well, unfortunately these diesels are NOT designed and suitable for short-trip conditions! :confused:

How so?

And neither are Direct Inject engines.
Ask our Euro and Aussie friends here with diesel experience. Anchorman would tell you don’t get a diesel for frequent short trips as the diesel is more sensitive on oil dilution issue with short trips. And the DPF regeneration also requires longer time. 20 ~ 40 minutes, to complete the process while you’re driving.

Ask our Euro and Aussie friends here with diesel experience. Anchorman would tell you don’t get a diesel for frequent short trips as the diesel is more sensitive on oil dilution issue with short trips. And the DPF regeneration also requires longer time. 20 ~ 40 minutes, to complete the process while you’re driving.
I did not know that.

My impression was that diesels would be less susceptible to oil dilution, not more. That's not based on anything other than what I know of Direct Inject.

2 tanks 26.0 gallons by the pump (31.7 mpg) meter of runnin' around with 2 short trailer pulls. Still very happy :) only issue I have so far is slight vibration from (likely) a rear tire at highway speed that's a bit annoying but I'm gonna wait until 5k mi service to have dealer check it out. Interesting that the low fuel warning doesn't come on until about 12 - 15 miles remaining on the range meter. With range showing 6 miles I could only cram 13.9 gallons in so maybe just over a gallon (30ish miles) of range really remaining when the countdown reaches zero. (Not that I want to run it dry. Diesels are a PITA to revive from running out of fuel!)

I drove my 2.5NA for the first time in a long time the other day and definitely missed my torque! Screenshot_20200414-195421.jpg

2 tanks 26.0 gallons by the pump (31.7 mpg) meter of runnin' around with 2 short trailer pulls. Still very happy :) only issue I have so far is slight vibration from (likely) a rear tire at highway speed that's a bit annoying but I'm gonna wait until 5k mi service to have dealer check it out. Interesting that the low fuel warning doesn't come on until about 12 - 15 miles remaining on the range meter. With range showing 6 miles I could only cram 13.9 gallons in so maybe just over a gallon (30ish miles) of range really remaining when the countdown reaches zero. (Not that I want to run it dry. Diesels are a PITA to revive from running out of fuel!)

I drove my 2.5NA for the first time in a long time the other day and definitely missed my torque! View attachment 224166
Have you checked the tire pressure yet to make sure it's been reduced from 50 psi to the proper psi

It came from the dealer with all the tire pressures in the mid 20's. I adjusted them that day to 35 psi and check them regularly.

I did not know that.

My impression was that diesels would be less susceptible to oil dilution, not more. That's not based on anything other than what I know of Direct Inject.
To be fair, the latest encarnation with Adblue neither diluted the oil nor could I tell when it was doing a regen, they just about got a grip of that. It did throw up two little faults which I cancelled on both occasions and they never came back but they would have required a trip to the dealer for most drivers. I’ve actually changed to a Lexus hybrid now which is as flat as a fart by comparison but it wasn’t the diesel or the baggage that goes with it, it was the bloody seat bolsters that crippled me.

To be fair, the latest encarnation with Adblue neither diluted the oil nor could I tell when it was doing a regen, they just about got a grip of that. It did throw up two little faults which I cancelled on both occasions and they never came back but they would have required a trip to the dealer for most drivers. I’ve actually changed to a Lexus hybrid now which is as flat as a fart by comparison but it wasn’t the diesel or the baggage that goes with it, it was the bloody seat bolsters that crippled me.

The only indication that I know a DPF regen is taking place is a paraffin like whiff for a few minutes and a slight burbling sound from the exhaust with a corresponding slight decrease in miles per gallon. The regen only seems to happen for approx 10 minutes or less when travelling. No oil dilution issues with the Adblue version. Adblue has cost me £8.00 in nearly 18 months with 22,000 miles on the clock. I think the cost of topping up with Adblue has been exaggerated greatly on the internet.

The only indication that I know a DPF regen is taking place is a paraffin like whiff for a few minutes and a slight burbling sound from the exhaust with a corresponding slight decrease in miles per gallon. The regen only seems to happen for approx 10 minutes or less when travelling. No oil dilution issues with the Adblue version. Adblue has cost me £8.00 in nearly 18 months with 22,000 miles on the clock. I think the cost of topping up with Adblue has been exaggerated greatly on the internet.
I’ve got a sealed 5 litre tub in the garage. You can come and get a post lockdown brew and you can have it 👍

Not yet, when it’s all over!!!

They think it's all over - it isn't yet :( (UK football commentry reference for the uninitiated) Yes, it would be nice to see you, something always seems to happen to stop it. This time the double plus bad cold. (Nowyouknow youtube reference)

I don't know when our stay-at-home orders will finish in the U.K. as the government aren't saying yet what the roadmap will be like. I think we should all be cautious when the time comes. Self preservation and all that. It will be interesting to observe if social interaction will ever be the same again. I know I will never shake hands with anyone again.

Well add me to the list of diesel owners. I'm the foreman at a mazda dealer and managed to get a very very good deal on it. Let me say that unless you get a deal on it, it's not worth it. Let me also say that I kinda like this thing. I wish they had more power in this thing for passing...but lord does it feel good when you're just cruising through traffic and cruising on the highway. The tip-in torque on this thing feels really nice (full torque at around 2000 rpm). I'm not necessarily an aggressive driver so zipping around people isnt really important to me.

I drive 2.5 and 2.5t cx5s every day and I gotta say, they're a really jerky car (especially since 2017). To me, the diesel feels all around like a more refined experience. I need to do some research on remapping the ecu and what not, I feel thatll help it out a little.

If you manage a good deal on one....give it a test drive. I thought I was gonna hate it looking at the numbers. Also note: I work on these things so the repair aspect isnt as much of a factor for me.
I bought a diesel as well. Got a pretty good deal. Love the car. At some point I plan to remap it as well. I assume it would void warranty if I had any issues though? Also, how are you liking yours? I’ve got 21,000 miles on mine so far.

Also, how are you liking yours?

I Don't think that @Cbarr300 is very active on here. (Just that one post he had left). Love the diesel character of the CX5. It's a great match! I'm about the same miles so far (20,500) after just about 1 year.

So far, I don't know of any sources to remap the fueling tables. The companies you see on the web are for earlier model years. The way I understand it, the 2019+ ECU is a whole new system or architecture (I don't know a lot about computers and such). I'm a happy owner the way it is. :)

I Don't think that @Cbarr300 is very active on here. (Just that one post he had left). Love the diesel character of the CX5. It's a great match! I'm about the same miles so far (20,500) after just about 1 year.

So far, I don't know of any sources to remap the fueling tables. The companies you see on the web are for earlier model years. The way I understand it, the 2019+ ECU is a whole new system or architecture (I don't know a lot about computers and such). I'm a happy owner the way it is. :)
I’ll be keeping it for a very long time regardless and I am happy with it. I love the sound. The car is awesome. I just know how much more capable it is and should be very easy to improve it with a remap. I’m sure it would come from outside the US though.

Back