CX-5 Sales continue to set records

Sorry to tell you that Mazda's original project of making a (spark-plug-less) Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) gasoline engine has failed because it's too volatile and difficult to manage for higher engine speeds and high-load situations such as acceleration. Mazda now has to settle for Spark Plug Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI) with spark plugs and a super charger added, for its upcoming 2.0L SkyActiv-X with estimated 188 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque.

Excuse my oversight in the specific detail of the Skyactiv-X. Be it SPCCI or HCCI, it will be groundbreaking and exciting nonetheless.

its a valid comparison imo. they're both new generation models, directly competing with one another. its just that one company decided to put a new motor in their CUV to give it a competitive advantage, and the other company has no engine to compete with it. that 2.5L skyactiv is on it's last legs competitively, and there's not much mazda can do to get more power or fuel economy out of it.

and we all know why the toyota has the ability to use an engine like this in the rav, because they have much bigger cash reserves to invest in R&D while the other doesn't.

the cx-5 is selling well, but that's more due to people switching to crossovers. one very good selling model cannot keep a company afloat is the rest of the lineup isn't selling well.

i personally find it very exciting that we now have a CUV in this segment that has over 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated, doesn't need spcci, doesn't need a turbo and uses an 8 speed automatic, although i do think there will be a decent price increase over the existing rav4.

not really sure how this is relevant? it's 2018 not 2012.

My point was about comparing a 7 year old Skyactiv engine to engines of its current time not suddenly comparing it to something that just came out yesterday. Fair enough if you start to compare them but to dismiss the Skyactiv engine as totally inferior despite its age is preposterous.

I don't even know how this became a comparison between Toyota's new engine to Skyactiv. Good on Toyota for coming out with something new which is long overdue. Perhaps we can change this thread to Toyota's New Engine discussion topic.

And no one is comparing the upcoming Skyactiv-X to Toyota's Dynamic Force engines either but merely stating the fact that Mazda is working on bringing to production it's own new technology in line with it's own lifecycle timeline.

Excuse my oversight in the specific detail of the Skyactiv-X. Be it SPCCI or HCCI, it will be groundbreaking and exciting nonetheless.

My point was about comparing a 7 year old Skyactiv engine to engines of its current time not suddenly comparing it to something that just came out yesterday. Fair enough if you start to compare them but to dismiss the Skyactiv engine as totally inferior despite its age is preposterous.

well the base of the argument was cuv sales, and comparing models, not engines. i agree it is not a fair comparison to compare both engines but both of these vehicles compete with each other in the same price range. one engine(on paper anyway, as i havent driven a new camry) is clearly superior to the other, and if a buyer cares about power and an 8 speed automatic transmission(which im assuimg alot of mazda buyers would care about), which of the 2 do you think they will go for? and the new cx-5 hasn't been on the market long enough to warrant big dealer discounts like the current rav4 or rogue, although it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing them once the new rav4 is out, because that thing is going to sell like hot cakes.

it's all about staying competitive in a very competitive segment. stuff like cylinder deactivation isn't going to cut it. with skyactiv-x, i think people who are expecting a huge bump in power will be disappointed. it will likely have maybe something in the low 190 HP range but i do think it will have class leading fuel economy like the current skyactiv engine had during it's release. so if ya care about saving gas, that may be a good pick for you then again the new engine technology in skyactiv-x would scare me off from buying one. i'd personally rather just have a naturally aspirated motor with decent power.

well the base of the argument was cuv sales, and comparing models, not engines. i agree it is not a fair comparison to compare both engines but both of these vehicles compete with each other in the same price range. one engine(on paper anyway, as i havent driven a new camry) is clearly superior to the other, and if a buyer cares about power and an 8 speed automatic transmission(which im assuimg alot of mazda buyers would care about), which of the 2 do you think they will go for? and the new cx-5 hasn't been on the market long enough to warrant big dealer discounts like the current rav4 or rogue, although it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing them once the new rav4 is out, because that thing is going to sell like hot cakes.

it's all about staying competitive in a very competitive segment. stuff like cylinder deactivation isn't going to cut it. with skyactiv-x, i think people who are expecting a huge bump in power will be disappointed. it will likely have maybe something in the low 190 HP range but i do think it will have class leading fuel economy like the current skyactiv engine had during it's release. so if ya care about saving gas, that may be a good pick for you then again the new engine technology in skyactiv-x would scare me off from buying one. i'd personally rather just have a naturally aspirated motor with decent power.

Toyota will sell regardless of whether it has the new engines or not because they are Toyota.

I believe the average consumer is after fuel efficiency more so than outright power numbers on paper. The current Skyactiv engines already deliver excellent power and is certainly at the top end of the tree only losing out to some of Toyota's new offerings. It doesn't need to be number 1 in that area to be successful.

I don't think many care about how many gears the Tranny has. Not the average buyer.
Reasons people buy cars, in the US, latest poll I could find:
#1 Reliability
#2 Styling
#3 Prior experience with brand
#4 Reputation / Reviews
#5 Ride / Handling
#6 Price
#8a Safety -tie-
#8b Mpg -tie-
#9 Quality of workmanship

I would argue tech would probably be added to that list today, albeit low right now.
When gas is cheap here, as it is now, mpg drops far down the list. # of gears don't matter to the vast majority. HP / Torque isn't even on the list.
Only us gearheads care about that stuff.
Styling is number 2. That's why Mazdas moving CX-5s now. Love it or hate it, it's distinctive. And people are responding.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/bu...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707

Styling yes, reliability clearly, but improved interior refinement and ride quality are also large factors at play with cx5 sales growth imo in addition to being in the it segment. That said I think this new rav while not being revolutionary looks to nudge the bar as mazda did with the cx5 and being a Toyota with the reputation and retained value baked in will give the competition fits and certainly has my attention despite my like for mazdas styling better. If it drives 90% as good as the cx5, it'll be pretty tough to deny.

Toyota will sell regardless of whether it has the new engines or not because they are Toyota.

I believe the average consumer is after fuel efficiency more so than outright power numbers on paper. The current Skyactiv engines already deliver excellent power and is certainly at the top end of the tree only losing out to some of Toyota's new offerings. It doesn't need to be number 1 in that area to be successful.

This, the current Rav4, as unpleasant as it is, was the #1 selling non truck vehicle in the USA (2017). People will buy it.

As for Mazda, the sales of the CX-5 are fantastic and hopefully will fund new development and potentially new versions of this car.

I think the Miata is not selling well because everyone knows the 2019 is coming with 17% more HP and they are waiting.

Edit: Corrected. Not the #1 best selling vehicle but America's bestselling non-pickup in 2017. (http://www.businessinsider.com/toyota-rav4-bestselling-vehicle-suv-2017-2018-1).

Last edited:
How does/did Nissan manage to fool so many people into buying that POS Rogue? I don't get it.

What it seems is mazda is moving away from the mps/speed 3 to a more nuanced brand. Which means more refined and expensive signature trims, awd on its cars and more power but still measured. As it does that it needs its bread and butter. 3/6/CX-5 provide that. Even when the speed 3 was present it was for more hardcore drivers than vw or Civic SI.
At some point mazda might become a brand most of us won't like as demonstrated by honda acura etc.
Right now I am on the border due to no dealership support.

⋯ the cx-5 is selling well, but that's more due to people switching to crossovers. one very good selling model cannot keep a company afloat is the rest of the lineup isn't selling well.
Agreed. CX-5 is selling well but is still in the bottom bunch of the compact CUV sales in the US. It cant catch up competitors in the same class other than Subaru Forester.

Nissan Rogue continues doing very well on sales this year. It has overtaken Toyota RAV4 and became #1 best-selling compact CUVs in the US with impressive margin!

Compact CUVs
US Sales Figures
(to March)
January
February
March
Toyota RAV4407,59491,45926,65529,86734,937
Nissan Rogue403,465116,45436,18438,11942,151
Honda CR-V377,89582,04624,32625,85231,868
Ford Escape308,29667,35018,94721,03327,370
Chevrolet Equinox290,45882,39826,40524,05331,940
Subaru Outback188,88644,12213,27914,02116,822
Subaru Forester177,56337,10410,84811,64014,616
Jeep Cherokee169,88250,61014,62112,22523,764
Mazda CX-5127,56342,81713,46313,21616,138
Hyundai Tucson114,73527,8827,3688,43811,806
Kia Sportage72,82419,4595,7125,8677,880
]

20%+ off MSRP?
Right.
Right now I am on the border due to no dealership support.
Took my 6 in last week for an oil change and tire rotation to the local Mazda dealer (first oil change after getting back home from Florida), and they couldn't have been nicer.
I asked to be in the shop when they put it on the hoist, as I had never walked under the car since buying it. They were very accommodating.
I had a good look underneath, asked lots of questions, and they were very patient and eager to answer my questions.
After the work was done, they washed the car and walked me through how to reset all the maintenance reminders to make sure I knew the procedures.
I also walked around the showroom and was greeted by a very friendly sales rep who didn't seem to mind me wasting his time looking at stuff and asking questions.
All in all, a good dealership experience. Rare in this day and age.

Here are some fun factoids to throw into the mix:
VW & MAZDA TURN AROUND SALES
Two companies to keep an eye on in the American market this year are Mazda and Volkswagen. Both companies have made major management changes and revamped their product lines and it’s really paying off. Mazda’s sales are up 21% for the first quarter of the year, while Volkswagen’s are up 10%. But look at the numbers, they are almost exactly the same. So far this year Mazda sold 83,995 vehicles, VW sold 83,952. Mazda has 6 vehicles in its lineup including 3 crossovers. Volkswagen has 7 models including 3 crossovers. So who do you think will do better this year, Mazda or Volkswagen? We’ll keep you up to date on how this horse race goes.
Q1 2018 SALES
Mazda 83,995 +21.6%
Volkswagen 83,952 +10.0%
Source: WardsAuto

How does/did Nissan manage to fool so many people into buying that POS Rogue? I don't get it.
If you look at the sales figures each year on Nissan Rogue, its a model that every automakers would like to follow. 2015 is the turning point for Rogue where the sales has increased 44.2% over 2014. Some people may say Nissan is selling low on Rogue, but weve to give credit to Nissan that they can keep their production cost very low on Rogue and are still making profit by selling low.

YearNissan Rogue
US Sales
(to March)

Interesting site here:

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-q4-2017-compact-suv-segment/

When I saw that the Nissan Rogue had a late 20% surge in sales my first though is fleet sales or big giveaway pricing. Sales should be spoken of with numbers sold and profits made.

For Mazda, since they are very small, look at the % increase of vehicles sold in that segment and then the % increase of Mazda CX-5 sold. Mazda is doing very well in their own right.

Comparing Mazda to Toyota or Nissan-Renault is not a fair comparison.

⋯ i personally find it very exciting that we now have a CUV in this segment that has over 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated, doesn't need spcci, doesn't need a turbo and uses an 8 speed automatic, although i do think there will be a decent price increase over the existing rav4.
Exactly my kind of thinking! :)

Now since upcoming SPCCI SkyActiv-X 2.0L has added a super charger and spark plugs, I have to wonder if Mazda should just design a turbo or super charged 2.0L SkyActiv-? without complicated compression ignition for more horsepower and better fuel efficiency?

Exactly my kind of thinking! :)

Now since upcoming SPCCI SkyActiv-X 2.0L has added a super charger and spark plugs, I have to wonder if Mazda should just design a turbo or super chargeed 2.0L SkyActiv-? without complicated compression ignition for more horsepower and better fuel efficiency?

You should go and talk to the Mazda engineers. I’m sure they would welcome your opinions.

Right.

Took my 6 in last week for an oil change and tire rotation to the local Mazda dealer (first oil change after getting back home from Florida), and they couldn't have been nicer.
I asked to be in the shop when they put it on the hoist, as I had never walked under the car since buying it. They were very accommodating.
I had a good look underneath, asked lots of questions, and they were very patient and eager to answer my questions.
After the work was done, they washed the car and walked me through how to reset all the maintenance reminders to make sure I knew the procedures.
I also walked around the showroom and was greeted by a very friendly sales rep who didn't seem to mind me wasting his time looking at stuff and asking questions.
All in all, a good dealership experience. Rare in this day and age.

My experience has been bad. Two dealerships near me. One did the moly but costs 90 Bucks. Other will not do Moly. Even to get ac vents replaced it hard. Getting a time slot in 3 weeks is hard as well. I don't know any trusted independent guy for skyactiv mazdas.

Back