What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Oil change done! The process itself was surprisingly easy. Only issue I had was that neither of the plastic clips on the underside cover would come off. Managed to get one of and remove the cover just leaving the other one in.

Ramps worked fine.

I did not spill any oil draining, but like an idiot, didn't use the funnel to refill empty oil jug with old oil from drain pan. Made a bit of a mess before it dawned on me that I was doing that like a jackass and grabbed the funnel to finish up.

Any tips to clean oil off garage floor? Concrete.

Also my bike fell off of where I had it and knocked the full oil pan around spilling more oil. Ugh.

So lessons learned on that front, but everything else was smooth. Body is a little tired from crawling underneath and back out several times. My sit on my ass at an office all day self not used to this kind of work!

(rofl)

38d994de6e6bac72804e2a27298403d9.jpg
78e08251a93b28fee386708012ecc7ab.jpg
dd4a5217dc9d35dc3eda6503a3bc6677.jpg
90b064d4f34949d3c56fc9c721f65ee7.jpg

Make sure to read this excellent tomcat1446’s post:

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Or entire thread if you have time. ;)

The use of 8mm hex head drain plug is unique to CX-5, and oil quantity with oil and filter change specified in owner’s manual is incorrect. It should be about 5.2~5.3 quarts instead of 4.8 quarts for SA-G 2.5L, but most people put 5 quarts of fresh oil for convenience and leave the oil level between “Add” and “Full” mark on the dipstick.

That thread is a must read for anyone changing their own oil. I’m getting ready to drain the factory fill here soon.

LOL Colorado. I'm so proud. Yea, I'm pretty sure everyone screws up and spills oil somewhere on the first oil change. Rite of passage. We probably should have warned a bit about that. They sell some stuff at the auto parts store, it's a powder you spread and scrub and rinse off.

LOL Colorado. I'm so proud. Yea, I'm pretty sure everyone screws up and spills oil somewhere on the first oil change. Rite of passage. We probably should have warned a bit about that. They sell some stuff at the auto parts store, it's a powder you spread and scrub and rinse off.
Sweet! Will pick some up when I drop off the old oil.

Facing towards rear. Oil shoots out towards rear.

Great. I was hoping that to be the case. I have some 2x wood I’ll drive the front tires up on.

A Mitsu I owned years ago had the same ground clearance as the CX5. I was able to get under with no issue but not as lucky with the Mazda. A bit baffling. I haven’t put on weight or anything.

Great. I was hoping that to be the case. I have some 2x wood I’ll drive the front tires up on.

A Mitsu I owned years ago had the same ground clearance as the CX5. I was able to get under with no issue but not as lucky with the Mazda. A bit baffling. I haven’t put on weight or anything.
Yeah, there was absolutely no way I was going to fit without raising it.

Nice!

Looks like your dealer used hard-to-find Japanese made PE01-14-302A oil filter. What is the part number of your new filter?
You know I did not log the part number, but it was a Made in Mexico filter.

Otherwise looked overall the same. Got it at the same dealer that did my last oil change.

You know I did not log the part number, but it was a Made in Mexico filter.

Otherwise looked overall the same. Got it at the same dealer that did my last oil change.
You got Mazda "Valur Line" oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV and it should be stated such on your invoice.

For 2017+ 2nd-gen CX-5 it's PE01-14-302B made in Japan oil filter from factory which is not available in the US.

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.
Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

This works very well on oil, I used it a lot on my parents garage. Full strength or diluted in a mop bucket, splashed on floor and scrubbed with a nylon brush (carwash scrubber). You can get it at Vatozome, Walmart etc
superclean.jpg

You got Mazda "Valur Line" oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV and it should be stated such on your invoice.

For 2017+ 2nd-gen CX-5 it's PE01-14-302B made in Japan oil filter from factory which is not available in the US.

Should I be concerned with this filter?

I had the old steel ramps and with the smooth concrete garage floor, when I tried going on the ramps, the ramps started sliding, so I stopped using them.
Another reason, for not using them is, that my cars are lowered and I can't get on them.
With ramps, you can not work on suspension parts, brakes. That is another reason for me, to not use them.

Yeah, there was absolutely no way I was going to fit without raising it.

With the ground clearance the CX-5 has I'm able to use a couple of short pieces of 2x8's to pull the front tires on to. This little bit of extra lift is all I need to create enough work room for me to move around and get the oil and filter changed. I have ramps but don't need them with the use of these 2x8s.

YMMV

Hey Colorado! If you have some kitty litter or saw dust around this works well to absorb spilled oils.

6801571f6bf5711573d940001d1de0da.jpg
501a691e739d11676c0e1ff2be6a2aba.jpg
4bebab8ddc5cc4628605d8fe87a40b2f.jpg

b92f7156c8cf3bb0f286a6394eb69362.jpg

Added some led side emitting lights sowed in the panels. Can be changed by phone app to any color or different modes. It took about 16 hrs to complete the project. About 4 hrs for each door panel removal, and stitching. Nothing is glued or wired directly to the harness. They are plugged into the cigarette lighter splitter box. Stitches can be removed if need be. Hope I guys like it!

Some people may not be a fan of this styling, but I'm digging it! Hahaha. Nice job man!

This works very well on oil, I used it a lot on my parents garage. Full strength or diluted in a mop bucket, splashed on floor and scrubbed with a nylon brush (carwash scrubber). You can get it at Vatozome, Walmart etc
superclean.jpg

Vatozone? LMAO.

Thanks for the suggestion.

No, not at all, although I'd prefer using PE01-14-302A from Japan or 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand as these OEM oil filters are made by Tokyo Roki.

Where do you specifically find the Japan filters?

I had the old steel ramps and with the smooth concrete garage floor, when I tried going on the ramps, the ramps started sliding, so I stopped using them.
Another reason, for not using them is, that my cars are lowered and I can't get on them.
With ramps, you can not work on suspension parts, brakes. That is another reason for me, to not use them.

I got these: Ramps

They did not slip at all. Very sturdy. I then got some wheel chocks for the rear wheels.

If I decide to venture into doing my own brakes and such, I'll just make use of the DIY garage with a lift. I think it's like $30 or $40/hr to use or something. Didn't make financial sense for changing my oil, but brakes, probably still cheaper than getting brakes done at the shop. I just don't have the side clearance in my garage to be doing any work from the side of the car, so this is a non-issue.

With the ground clearance the CX-5 has I'm able to use a couple of short pieces of 2x8's to pull the front tires on to. This little bit of extra lift is all I need to create enough work room for me to move around and get the oil and filter changed. I have ramps but don't need them with the use of these 2x8s.

YMMV

Hey Colorado! If you have some kitty litter or saw dust around this works well to absorb spilled oils.

No kitty litter or saw dust, but thanks again for another good suggestion!

Last edited:
Back