What have you done to your MSP today?

doesnt stop me from terrorizing bystanders with my hks though.
that is one of my favorite pastimes.
haha, I know what you mean, I have my hks mounted on my hot pipe, which sits right under my hood vent on the cf evo hood, it's a ton of fun to blow that thing off right next to someone's open window hah.
Maybe I should clear this up...

I love my MSP. When its running right, its a helluva under rated car. I bought it because I wanted to experience something different. When it comes to cars, I like to stay "off the beaten path".
Its just frustrating that my MSP was so neglected before I got it, and I inherited its problems. All the... quirks, have recently started. I drove the car 7 hours immediately after buying it, without a single hitch. So for so much crap to go wrong in a chain reaction, its just disheartening.
Just because I can afford a new car, does not mean I want to go out and spend the money on one. I have a house note, and a pregnant fiance'. Even though I am blessed with a great job and financial stability, does not mean I want to stretch my means any further.
I bought the MSP because I did not intend to dog it out. It struck me as a fun, unique car for a daily driver. And so far its been good, even with my work commute being 90 miles round trip everyday.
But as it happens to everyone, the problems add up and become stressful.
Truth be told, I'll just suck it up, fix it, drive it until it breaks again, then rinse & repeat.

Being an enthusiast is fun, but god I swear it takes years off our lives.

I know what you mean, I was luckily to have my msp be very well taken care of, and I take great care of it too, but my brother's msp came with the blown engine and the original guy that did everything half assed it, and what I haven't been able to try to fix after a year and a half, my dad has had a few mechanics work on it just to do the big stuff like engine replacement and a small fuel issue that I couldn't fix, but still working on a few small problems, but the end is near! it's just been a huge headache along the way, just need to slowly work through everything and semi-rebuild the car haha

i have absolutely no idea what was done or wasnt done to my msp before i got it, just replacing stuff as the milage ticks up or when it starts to show signs of dieing. this is the first car ive actually worked on myself so its good times to read up on this forum how to do pretty much anything i need to do, saving me a butt ton of cash on mechanic fees that i just cant afford.

Im lucky nothing major has needed doing but passing the 69k mile range so that could go bad on me quickly from what others have been saying.

My hks is on the cold side just before maf and its loud as phuc after i modified it to get rid of surge. tempted to take the insert out again. liked the sound a little more for just cruising. you dont actually get the high hks sound until mid third at full boost. lower gears it sounds more like a greddy.

My hks is on the cold side just before maf and its loud as phuc after i modified it to get rid of surge. tempted to take the insert out again. liked the sound a little more for just cruising. you dont actually get the high hks sound until mid third at full boost. lower gears it sounds more like a greddy.

mine's the same way now that I took out my vac block..

not much, personally I liked it on the hot side just because it is not tucked down in the bottom somewhere on my fmic pipe routing on the cold side, and I would rather have it further away from the MAF to reduce any turbulence when the bov goes off, just easier IMO and I didn't want to worry about how close the bov was to the MAF, and I personally thought it looked cleaner on my setup

not much, personally I liked it on the hot side just because it is not tucked down in the bottom somewhere on my fmic pipe routing on the cold side, and I would rather have it further away from the MAF to reduce any turbulence when the bov goes off, just easier IMO and I didn't want to worry about how close the bov was to the MAF, and I personally thought it looked cleaner on my setup

I agree with all this. Mine's on the cold side because its easier.

its kind of an ordeal to take the valve apart without pulling the section of coldpipe its on. if i get motivated though ill get in there and take the insert out, and take a video.

my valve is tucked between the battery and the fuse box. a perfect little pocket for it.

IMG_5266.jpg

what's the difference with the valve anyways? what's it keep it from doing, or allow it to do, mine has a slight flutter in low boost but once it hits 4+psi then it's great, just curious, might try playing with my valve it it's worth the time

flutter is the valve not opening fast enough at low or no boost to relieve back pressure. it has nothing to do with the insert. i just drilled couple small holes between the chambers and it blows off real fast now. side effect is without an adjustment screw, it opens at the slightest foot movment. if your cruising in second and your running in vac, if any pressure builds up on the turbo side it will blow the valve and sound all weezy. been meanign to drill/tap and adjustment screw in the back, which would basicly make my v2 into a v1 ha.

the insert serves no purpose other than the sound. removing it doesnt have any effect on the sealing of the valve, even though it may look like it presses against the rubber piston seal. its a metal cored shim thats coated in rubber. no worries.

ah, ok, then I will just keep it the way it is, it works great, and I usually don't go real low boost to make it flutter anyways, if I boost it is usually past the flutter point haha

I'm thinking I may just keep my dual setup since I have it working with a relocated MAF. I don't want the damn turkey, and I'm not too crazy about drilling holes in my new V3 valve. I already scratched the cover and I'm pretty pissed about it lol. Maybe I will paint the cover black for a 2 tone look.

doesn't need to be "in boost" to flutter. sitting at 0 on the boost gauge it is moving enough air to pop the valve, and leave a noticable flutter. hell, as low as 10 hg you can still get it.

read all over the places that these valves suck for many turbo 4 bangers and somone at the evo forums suggested this. i double checked with a user here who has done the mod and is also turkey less, and not running dual valve.
the only downside i guess is that my valve is now a perm fixture to my car and fmic setup. pretty sure i ****** the stock one pulling it all out many times to do repairs anyway.

Idk if maybe it was just me, but I loved my HKS, i never had any flutter.
But it looked like ass, and was all ****** up on the outside (bought it used, and then scraped it on the road when my hot pipe blew off) now I have a greddy RS, and I love it.
Just dont really like the weird ass noise it makes when you downshift or let off the gas slowly

i love my hks and i get no flutter :) but my buddy on his msp has a hks and gets mad flutter and we cant figure out y

ya wow, mine only flutters every once and a while and like I said the real low boosts between 1-3psi sometimes, not even really sure if it does it much if at all anymore, just noticed it first time, but I love it, and it's not really noticeable for most people

you keep saying "move" your vacuum block... where was it before?

and removing mine DEFINITELY changed how the valve responds... and I made no other changes.

I had the goofy ass setup with it mounted to my strut bar lol. Did removing it from the vacuum block help at all? I have a free port on my intake mani so I may give that a shot.

Back