Re-wire Fog Light To The Parking Light.

easy, tap the red wire to the battery, and the white wire to the switch wire that turns on the parking light. use a test light.

easy, tap the red wire to the battery, and the white wire to the switch wire that turns on the parking light. use a test light.

You don't say! I'll do my best to not find more than one red or white wire on the car. If someone can get me wiring diagrams I will do my best to translate and make a write up for everyone to use.

well, if they are aftermarket, they have a red, white, and black wire. even stock has only 2 wires, and all you would have to do is reroute the switch wire(usually white under the bad taping job from the factory, at least mine was) to the switch wire on the parking lights. ive done it ten thousand times with other makes of cars with fogs, and it takes a matter of a couple minutes and a solder gun, with some heat shrink tubing, and i take back my harshness, as i was under the influence a little. like the commercial says, if you wouldnt say it in person, dont say in on the net. lol. sorry dude. i was just tryin to help, as you were making a point not to post a how do i in a how to area.

Hey, somebody post some pix of this how to fix cuz I wanna do this to my Mazdaspeed3...and this fix seems a tad to easy per the earlier post. thanks in advance. (blah)(blah)(blah)

Well my car has been at the dealer for over a week now for them to fix the rims and dash that they scratched. When I get it back or if I get it back I will work on this and post pics and dirrections. Don't expect anything till late next week as I know the car will not be back till at the earliest monday. Till then you can figure it out yourself or wait patiently on yer bum.

i think it's a good idea to have the fog lights come on automatically; in my case [ms3gt] i'd like them to switch on w/ the hid low beams. i'm going to the mechanic wednesday to install redline mt90 transmission oil and i'm going to ask him to rewire the fogs. [i live in a condo, we're forbidden to work on cars by the nazi rules, + i don't really want to play 'learn by doing' on a brand-new car i'm not familiar w/]

i'm doing this especially because i'm also replacing the stock fog bulbs with aftermarket xenon hid-look purple [ebay, $21]. i had the same type on the crx for 2 yrs with no problems. car's now sold, don't know if they're still working, but even if the life is 2 yrs, i like the light they produce.

so i'll let you know thur or fri how it worked out. my guess is that i'm going to enjoy the 6:00 am drive to work just a bit better...the journey is fun, but not the destination...

well, i ended up not wiring the fog lights directly to the low beams. mechanic said it was a hassle, i can do it myself by rotating the ring. only thing i'm missing out on is being able to see the fogs just by themselves, w/ no other lights on. in other words i can't see the individual lights the fogs procduce, just the mix of the hid low beams + fogs combined.

still...more than enough bright light to visualize not only in the distance, but now also can inspect every single pavement detail, undulation, pothole, crack, nook, and cranny. bright lights, big city. i'm happy w/ the ROI for $21. (drive2)

interested in this mod, if anyone knows. I always hard wire my fogs to the battery on my cars (2 MR2 turbos, my WRX, a 91 integra and my Protege MP3) as I like to drive with lights on during the day and IMHO fogs + parking lights = FTW.

Either hardwire or wire to the parking lights I'd be interested in.

Well my car has been at the dealer for over a week now for them to fix the rims and dash that they scratched. When I get it back or if I get it back I will work on this and post pics and dirrections. Don't expect anything till late next week as I know the car will not be back till at the earliest monday. Till then you can figure it out yourself or wait patiently on yer bum.

bump?? pix Craighjr?? (cricket)

I know of three methods to get independant fogs.

Method one: removes the fog relay in the engine compartment fuse box and connects it to a different spot in the fuse box. You then run a wire through the firewall and tap the wire in the steering column. Result, fogs come on whenever the switch is on, and the ignition is hot.

Method two: only works on 3's with halogen headlights as the HIDs are wired differently. Involves cutting three wires above the PJB inside the cabin, connecting two of them together, and connecting the third to a signal wire. Depending on which wire you choose to tap for the signal the fogs will either be hot anytime the ignition is hot, or whenever the parking lights are on.

Method three: removes the fog relay in the engine compartment fuse box. A single wire is run from one of the positions the relay was plugged in to another part of the fusebox. Result, the fogs come on whenever the ignition is hot and remain on for ~10 seconds after the car is turned off. The OEM fog switch has no control over the fogs.

I know of three methods to get independant fogs.

Method one: removes the fog relay in the engine compartment fuse box and connects it to a different spot in the fuse box. You then run a wire through the firewall and tap the wire in the steering column. Result, fogs come on whenever the switch is on, and the ignition is hot.

Method two: only works on 3's with halogen headlights as the HIDs are wired differently. Involves cutting three wires above the PJB inside the cabin, connecting two of them together, and connecting the third to a signal wire. Depending on which wire you choose to tap for the signal the fogs will either be hot anytime the ignition is hot, or whenever the parking lights are on.

Method three: removes the fog relay in the engine compartment fuse box. A single wire is run from one of the positions the relay was plugged in to another part of the fusebox. Result, the fogs come on whenever the ignition is hot and remain on for ~10 seconds after the car is turned off. The OEM fog switch has no control over the fogs.

do you have more info on any one of these 3 methods, as any will work for me. More specifically, cut wire A, tap into wire B, cap off wire C, etc?

do you have more info on any one of these 3 methods, as any will work for me. More specifically, cut wire A, tap into wire B, cap off wire C, etc?

The walkthroughs for all of them are on another forum.... let me get in touch with the creators over there and see if they will (or will let me) cross post their pictures. And just to confirm you're interested in Method 2, right?

that one is super easy but it takes away your ability to have the fogs off any time the car is running. Both 1&2 still let you control them with the switch.

which would be nice....I just can't think of a time when I wouldn't want the fogs on (I don't do any drive bys or late night stalking). Of course, as soon as I do I one of my peeps will start frontin and that special someone will stop answering my calls.

which would be nice....I just can't think of a time when I wouldn't want the fogs on (I don't do any drive bys or late night stalking). Of course, as soon as I do I one of my peeps will start frontin and that special someone will stop answering my calls.

Well what if you're sitting in a parking lot waiting to pick someone up and you're just listening to tunes, or have the A/C running. However if you don't mind and you just want the fogs on at all times that the car is then here you go.

What you need:
-two male spade connectors
-~10" of wire
-inline fuse (or wire with fuse built in)

Step 1: Open Hood, take cover off fuse box.

Step 2: Remove fog relay. It's to the "left" (passenger's side) of the relay in the top right corner of the fuse box in this picture.
IMG_0913.jpg

Step 3: Insert spade connector on one end of the wire into this slot where the relay was plugged in.
IMG_0915.jpg

Step 4: Insert the spade connector on the other end of the wire into this slot at the other end of the fuse box.
IMG_0914.jpg

Step 5: route the wire however you'd like to get it out of the way.

This mod is totally reversible back to stock simply by removing the wire and plugging the relay back in. It will turn the fogs on whenever the ignition is on, leave them on independent of the low beams/high beams, and they'll turn off about 7 seconds after you turn the car off. This mod brought to you by Videcak from mazda 3 forums.

Wow, thats pretty interesting. I might have to try this one out :D

I finally got permission to cross-post one of the other walkthroughs I mentioned above.

See the walkthrough HERE

Back