Yes there will be fix with the Resuming Playback Issue on the CX5 Rdio

I seriously doubt Mazda (or ANY car company) would proactively do ANY non-safety repair that cost them even a single penny. They _might_ replace units for customers who complain loudly enough (as only those customers would have any legal standing.) Keep in mind that Mazda knows you can't take legal action against them for something that you never complained about being broken... and the only proof of a complaint is when you let a dealer attempt to repair it, and the repair order clearly states the complaint. It also helps if the repair order also mentions that the issue is not resolved after the repair attempt.

As for the person who mentioned forfeiting rights to a class action - that might be the case in GA, but not in all states. In addition, many states have laws which basically invalidate any contractual clause that attempts to force giving up class action rights.

I know this link has been posted on other threads; but, for those of you not yet aware of it and to save others from having to try to find it, here is a link to a petition for Mazda to address and repair the head unit issues:

https://www.change.org/petitions/ma...update-head-unit-software-for-the-2014-mazda6

Despite the Mazda 6 reference, if you read the petition, it is also applicable to the CX-5 (because they apparently share the same head unit/software).

Short of starting a class action lawsuit, I think this might be one of the best avenues to let Mazda know the magnitude of its customers dissatisfaction and to compel them to address it before it starts to impact their sales.

You don't have to sign every piece of paper a dealership waves in front of you. The 'give up all your legal rights to an arbitrator form' is not consumer friendly at all.

But 99% of people will sign it, most without ever reading it. I read it, but signed anyway because I realized there can't be a class action lawsuit since everyone signed it. If Mazda does a mass recall, it will be to retain customer loyalty, not from a threat of class action law suit.

Yes there will be fix with the Resuming Playback Issue on the CX5, I got an email from a Customer Relations Coordinator
MAZDA CANADA INC.

I traded a 2014 Subaru Forester XT due to few trips to the dealership and many other issues well recorded on other INC

What user name did you use on the forester forum.

Not long ago I was amazed that my phone could even connect with my car at all. Now we want to sell our cars and bad mouth Mazda because playback takes to long. If it bothers you that much sell it, just do the research before you buy your next car as others have same type of problems. First world problems.

I have to respectfully disagree even if there is truth in what you are saying. The part where I disagree is that evolution requires those kind of stability in technology. Why people are complaining is because we pay big bucks for a technology that is not worth the price. I frankly had a better USB experience with the stock basic radio in the 2012 Corolla I had.

I just posted on another thread, but I rented a brand new 2015 CX-5 a couple days ago. I only had time for a quick test, but it appeared like this problem was fixed in that module. I plugged in a USB that had some AVI videos on it. It actually played just the audio from the AVI file. When I shut the engine off and turned it back on, it started playing where the audio left off. I was on a business trip and really didn't have time for a solid test so hopefully I didn't miss something. Can anyone else confirm?

If you shut it down for only a few seconds, it does resume. Maybe that is what happened.

Last edited:
You would be the first person on here to have seen a 2015.

I was driving and the person I was with said the keychain stated 2015 CX-5. Maybe that was written incorrectly. It definitely didn't have the gated shifter like on my 2014. It's probably a 2014.5. I turned the engine off for a few seconds so not sure if that was why it came back on, but it definitely went back to the same spot it left off.

I was driving and the person I was with said the keychain stated 2015 CX-5. Maybe that was written incorrectly. It definitely didn't have the gated shifter like on my 2014. It's probably a 2014.5. I turned the engine off for a few seconds so not sure if that was why it came back on, but it definitely went back to the same spot it left off.

To test this turn off the vehicle, open the driver door and leave the car. Close the driver door, lock the car. Unlock and get back in and voila, starts at track 1. That is why I have reverted back to CD with MP3 files. I know it only holds 800 MB but it works and I do not listen to same songs every day. Even with all the great tricks the 2014 just is one 8-track machine, oh wait, those also remembered where they stopped. Well I am clear out of ideas.... (uhm)

Even with all the great tricks the 2014 just is one 8-track machine, oh wait, those also remembered where they stopped. Well I am clear out of ideas.... (uhm)
I even had a vinyl record player that remembered where I left off. And I don't just mean by leaving the needle on the record and turning it off. The arm automatically would go back to the place I left off.

I even had a vinyl record player that remembered where I left off. And I don't just mean by leaving the needle on the record and turning it off. The arm automatically would go back to the place I left off.
Yep I also remember and even had one like that - we will not reveal how long that was ago.... let's say I am in my second youth... (canada)

Saw this on another Mazda forum. Anecdotal support that a resolution may be coming. Take it or leave it I guess.

I received a response back from the director of customer service at Mazda NA HQ about this issue. Word I got is that they are testing a hardware and software fix for the USB issue. Hopeful that something comes out in May. They've heard the gripes pretty loudly and all but admitted this was a design flaw. Based on what I was told, I think we will all get a recall letter related to this issue.

I am encouraged that the CIO of Mazda NA and this other person both personally responded and assured me they are working on a solution. The director even gave me his cell number if I want to call for an update.
Here's what I received back. I took out his name and cell.

I dug around with the Engineers and got some updated info. I asked Kiri to
call you and share the update with you. I think you will be pleased with
the progress we are making to resolve this concern for you and all of our
great customers. Thanks again for your patience and willingness to be part
of the solution. Your commitment to Mazda is appreciated.

Director, Customer Service Operations
Mazda North American Operations

Glad to hear there will be an update... This is kind of a deal breaker for me but if they plan to fix it, I may be able to accept that. I wonder if this is enough of a widespread issue that most of the dealers/salesmen know about it. Went in yesterday for a test drive and was about to sign for the car but wanted to do some research first. Definitely going to bring this up when I go in next week to make the purchase.

They should as it also affects the Mazda6 and CX-9. However, I bet they will play dumb and say you are the first person who has told them about it. SOP.

Back