Yellowed Headlights easy fix

I saw this on TV so I thought I'd give it a try. It actually worked out very well so I thought I'd share the results. Here's the before and after on my wife's Hyundia Santa Fe.

All you need to get these results are:

1500 grit sandpaper

water in a spray bottle

Rubbing compound or even regular toothpaste (I used rubbing compound)

An electric buffer or some manual elbow grease

Directions:

Wetsand the headlight making sure you keep the area coated with water. No need to apply alot of pressure, you only need to remove a thin layer of oxidation from the plastic headlight. This step should only take a few seconds.

Next, apply a few dabs of rubbing compund and use a buffer over the surface of the headlight. Be sure to buff all areas evenly and be careful not to overdo the edges.

Rise off the headlights with water and wipe them with a lint free rag and that's it. New looking headlights without the cost and hassle of replacing them.

if you really want to get down-n-dirty, you can take it all the way down to like 320 grit as long as you're wet-sanding. i have a set of lights im doing a full restoration on and im starting at 320. then 400, 800, 1000, 2000, rubbing compound and wax.

if anyone wanted i could sell a kit with half sheets of varying grits to save the trouble of piecing them together. very good sandpaper too... most is the professional grade waterproof gatorback.

Back