Wow! CX-5 Short Break Pad Life!

I have a new CX5 and noticed if I relied on the "Smart city Braking" that the brakes are applied later and more often than if I drive normally. I am sure this leads to more brake pad wear. Ed

I brought my 2020 CX-5 Signature purchased in August of last year in for it's 15,000 kilometer service today. I actually noticed at stop lights on the way to the garage that the break pedal slowly descended as I waited for a green light. The upshot is they said the break pads front and rear had to be replaced. For you Northerners we're talking about 9,300 miles. I'm astounded. I will grant that I descend 13 kilometers of mountain road daily and that emergency breaking here in Colombia in the cities is probably more frequent but holy moly! My car before this was a Renault Duster 4x4 and it got well over 30,000 kilometers out of the front brake pads on the same drive. Has anyone else experienced short brake pad life on their CX-5? Also parts price for four pads about $272.00 US. How does that compare with US Mazda prices?
Wild! I have 60K miles on my GT Reserve and my pads are almost new. Like 7mm or something.

I have a new CX5 and noticed if I relied on the "Smart city Braking" that the brakes are applied later and more often than if I drive normally. I am sure this leads to more brake pad wear. Ed
Smart City Braking is a collision avoidance system. You aren't supposed to experience it actuating. You also aren't supposed to experience the airbags actuating except in emergency situations.

SCB will cause my 2021 CX5 to brake if I am following a vehicle and they slow quickly or stop.

SCB will cause my 2021 CX5 to brake if I am following a vehicle and they slow quickly or stop.
Smart City Braking is a collision avoidance system. You aren't supposed to experience it actuating. You also aren't supposed to experience the airbags actuating except in emergency situations.

Original poster here, took my Sigature in for the 20,000 kilometer revision. Service manager said the front and rear pads are fine. (Well I should hope so!) Will be interesting to see what they say 5000 kilometers from now. I am very curious to know if the replacement pads they use are any longer lasting.

2016 cx5 GT here and I got about 25k miles out of oem rear disc/pad. Went with aftermarket and at 57k miles now and looks like I'll be needing another set. Only just replaced the fronts at 57k.
Just discovered the TSB about the rear brakes dragging so I'll be doing the checks to see if it's played a role in less than stellar brake life. May just end up changing the calipers while I'm at it....

DD in the city in the north east and quite a few ski trips in between so not all stop and go traffic.

Not to OP's case, but...

"Your brake pads need to be replaced!" is a new scam at the dealers (or other shops).
Most owners likely just say "OK. Go for it."

It happened to me. I used an endoscope to check it myself. At least 5mm thick, I saw.
They said 3mm (on paper, wrote down "6mm", crossed out and wrote "3mm". Fishy?)

Due to COVID, some dealers are looking for ways to increase revenue.

Had my rears done at 46,000. Fronts are still original at 82,000 miles.
You seem to have a 2016 CX-5 Touring. Have you had your rear brakes checked for EPB dragging issue based on the TSB?

You seem to have a 2016 CX-5 Touring. Have you had your rear brakes checked for EPB dragging issue based on the TSB?
A 2015 actually. From what I have read a number of people have had to get their rear brakes done somewhat early. I think it is due to most cars nowadays being adjusted so that the rears are applied earlier than the fronts to prevent front end brake dive.

The GTR and Sigs have the same rotor sizes but have slightly shorter and narrower but thicker (17.5mm vs 15.8mm) front pads than other trims. I wonder why that is.

Last time I replaced my pads.. I paid $30 for all four. 272 USD for a mixutre of dirt and waste material lol.

I replaced my rear pads with OEM Mazda (bought online for best price and still not inexpensive). Never again. The fronts were aftermarket, much cheaper, for about $37 delivered and included the stainless steel pad guides and they brake better than OEM.

There is something crazy about the brake pads of Mazda cx5. They seem to be made of chalk. My cx5 2017 model has done only 45000 km and the Mazda service told me that the front wheel pads are down to 4mm and need changing. I checked them and they were between 5.5 and 6 mm. The car having a ten year guarantee means that I will have to shell out 200 euros for the just two front wheel pads to keep the guarantee condition intact. The non Mazda pads cost only 25 euros and I could have changed them my self. What a rip off!

There is something crazy about the brake pads of Mazda cx5. They seem to be made of chalk. My cx5 2017 model has done only 45000 km and the Mazda service told me that the front wheel pads are down to 4mm and need changing. I checked them and they were between 5.5 and 6 mm. The car having a ten year guarantee means that I will have to shell out 200 euros for the just two front wheel pads to keep the guarantee condition intact. The non Mazda pads cost only 25 euros and I could have changed them my self. What a rip off!
at 5.5-6mm, you've only used about half of the pad material. there's plenty of life left in them. did you check both the inner and outer pads?

I could only check the outer brake pads since they were easily seen and available to measuring caliper.

Correction about my brake job, I only needed front rotors. Still, early for that.

Correction about my brake job, I only needed front rotors. Still, early for that.
Just the front rotors and no pads? That's highly unusual. What was wrong with the rotors that they said it needed replacing?
Also, leaving the old pads in there is not a great idea. The pads would have bedded/seated themselves into the old rotor. They would at least have had to smooth out the old pads a bit to help them seat on the new rotors.
Lastly, it's usually the smaller rear rotors that need replacing first. The fronts tend to last longer.
It all sounds a bit fishy to me.

No, no , no, absent information: pads on all four corners also changed. Front rotors were scared supposedly due to travel on unpaved roads. I could have waited a couple of days for them to be polished or just replaced. Since I live far from any public transport to get home I chose the latter option. Not sure what sounds fishy to you. I am just reporting as maintenance events unfold.

Last edited:
Back