World's first mazdaspeed5 (merged)

Well, at least they got it fired up. Is it worth all this work/money??? probably not. Mazda 5 is not the type of car you want to drive fast.
Nevertheless, great job was done!!!

Mazdaspeed 5 - Car and Driver finish their swap

2008_mazdaspeed_5_11_gallery_image_large.jpg

Car and Driver:
Sometimes conversations in our office can get bizarre. Take the subject at hand, a hot-rod minivan. Maybe it was a slow news day, but the topic came up because the Mazda 5 is an appealing small van—a minivan in the purest sense—and more fun to drive than pretty much anything else with sliding side doors.

However, driving excitement is hard to appreciate when it’s tempered by an anemic power-to-weight ratio. Even though the Mazda 5 weighs 3358 pounds—that’s pretty mini as far as vans go—its 153-hp, 2.3-liter four doesn’t produce acceleration blisters when asked to propel that much mass.

With that thought in mind, the conversation started getting surreal. And before you could say, “You guys are smoking banana peels,” we were thinking of ways to add some real hustle to the little Mazda’s repertoire. Imagine, we mused, the astonished faces when such an innocent-looking mommymobile lights up its front tires and disappears in a cloud of smoke!

Even more appealing, the solution seemed simple. Since the 5 shares its underpinnings with the 3, we could just acquire a turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3 powertrain and swap it for the stock unit, which would instantly add 110 horsepower. Nothing to it. Guys swap out engines at racetracks in a matter of a couple hours. The result, a one-of-a-kind “Mazdaspeed 5,” would be perhaps the coolest project car yet in our Boss Wagon series [see sidebar, page 106]. And we figured we could do it ourselves.

Uh-huh, that’s what we figured.

Continue the read

Last edited:
Way cool. Looking forward to the next update! I guess Mazda parted out the stock wheels before donating it? I don't recognize these:

boswgn_vi_08_13_gallery_image_large.jpg

Last edited:
Big time. We have been pining for this for some time now. Living not far from C&D I am always looking for this thing to rip by me.

wow that was a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be. I guess that plan is out for my 5.

How dificult is it to put an aftermaket turbo in?

They just probably still need to tune it. Just cut the hood and fabricate a hood scoop (or get one of those fake ones and turn it to a real one) for the intercooler.

I'd only recommend TCs/SCs for the mechanically inclined, there's a lot of tuning involved. The joy of the MazdaSpeed 3 is that the turbo is engineered and tuned at the factory, it could probably be tuned to provide even more power but for the non mechanically inclined, 263 HP is good enough. All you have to do is know how to drive it.

i was wondering when they were gonna get that done...and now that they are im not impressed. but as if i would ever own a mini van anyway

thats ballin. A van that hauls ass!

I know people with Toyota Previas are hot for turbo kits. They turbo those things all the time and Ive seen a grip of them in person and on sites from Japan. Nice to see a turbo Mazda van to compete :)

Awesome, it looks sick, although does not seem that bolt-on LOL

We knew that the engine-bay wiring harness from the Mazdaspeed 3 would have to be used in the conversion. We were hoping the connections aft of the fire wall would allow the Speed 3 ECU to function with the 5s remaining electrical architecture that controls the radio, power windows, air conditioning, and so on.

Not a chance. The layout of the body wiring harness is the same in both carsboth form a large H, crossing under the front seats with the same grounding locationsbut the makeup is so different that we realized the project would require the full harness of the Speed 3 to accompany the engine swap. The Mazda 5 uses a body control module (BCM) to talk to all of the electrical components, while the Speed 3 uses what the Mazda service manual calls a passenger junction box (PJB). Both counterparts include a computer to control the various functions, but they differ widely in shape, size, and electrical connections. The largest difference is that the PJB incorporates the cabin fuse box.

In both cars, the PJB and the BCM sit behind the glove box, but Mazda R&D said that substituting the BCM for the PJB would be next to impossible. By now, Barnes was already wondering what was happening with the project and why one of the guys responsible for wrecking his MX-5 in the Nelson Ledges race was in charge.

Initial acceleration results were, um, less than desirable because the engine stuttered at high rpm. The new front-mounted intercooler and aftermarket intake apparently were not agreeing with the factory-tuned ECU (we didnt want to cut a hole in the hood to feed the Speed 3s top-mounted intercooler). The 3549-pound project car stuttered its way to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds. Sheesh. The 379-pound lighter Speed 3 can do it in 5.5. Yikes! If its any consolation, at least our car can outrun a stock Mazda 5 manual by 1.7 seconds. Also, chassis performance shined. Thanks to its tire upgrade, our 5 needed only 165 feet, or two more yards than a Speed 3, to stop from 70 mph and held onto the skidpad with 0.88 g of grip, just 0.01 less than a Speed 3. With any luck, well get the engine software worked out. Look for improved performance numbers in a future issue.

2008_mazdaspeed_5_1_gallery_image_large.jpg

2008_mazdaspeed_5_4_gallery_image_large.jpg

2008_mazdaspeed_5_9_gallery_image_large.jpg

2008_mazdaspeed_5_10_gallery_image_large.jpg

Source:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._boss_wagon_mazdaspeed_5_project_car/(page)/1

It is good to get an update, however it is bad news that it is not as direct a swap as I had hoped.(boom06)

I'm glad they saw it through, even though it wasn't a direct bolt-on swap. This pic is priceless. FTMFW!!! I can't wait to start modding mine.

It is good to get an update, however it is bad news that it is not as direct a swap as I had hoped.(boom06)

I agree, just check the 6MT shifter fitting, it looks odd. I just love the position of the OEM one, very ergonomic.

2008_mazdaspeed_5_5_gallery_image_large.jpg

More pics (naughty):

2008_mazdaspeed_5_8_gallery_image_large.jpg

2008_mazdaspeed_5_7_gallery_image_large.jpg

boswgn_vi_08_9_gallery_image_large.jpg

Back