WOMP protege supercharger project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rism

:
2003 WRX
I decided to make a new thread for the WOMP SC since the other one was getting a bit long. Now that there has been a big step foward in production of the kit I want to try and get more support for it.

W.O.M.P. Supercharger Specs:
This thread is being made to go over the many changes I've made on this project over the past few months. There is a lot of information flying around that is not 100% accurate and I'd just like to put everything out there in an open and honest forum where interested parties can learn about why I've chosen to build this way. All comments are welcome but please be remember to be constructive and avoid just bashing something because you feel it could be done differently. I'm open to suggestions but not abuse. I would also prefer to answer all questions about this IN the thread as my inbox fills up rather quickly.

Thanks,
Matty P

W.O.M.P. Supercharger Kit
  • Powerdyne BD-600 Supercharger w/ 1yr factory warranty (may upgrade to a BD-11A due to limited quantities of the BD-600)
  • Haltech F10X fuel computer
  • DaveB custom mounting brackets and pulley
  • 2.5" stainless steel piping
  • silicone hose w/ reducers
  • t-bolt clamps
  • high flow conical air filter
  • Bosch bypass (recirc) valve
  • FAL slim-line fan (your color choice blue,red,yellow,black)
  • Boost guage + guage pod (your choice, see protegegarage.com for more info)
  • All associated nuts/bolts/connectors/wire ties/washers/etc.
RETAIL COST --- $2695+shipping
GROUP BUY PRICING -- $2500+shipping
(when time comes
smile.gif
)

Now some explanations.

#1. Why I chose a centrifugal blower over a roots blower.

I originally started this project with an Eaton M62 that I was going to mount above the exhaust manifold and just fabricate a discharge chute for the compressed air. This idea was doomed from the start. There are numerous reasons why I stayed away from the roots blower on this application. I'll just hit the highlights.

*excessive heat, cutting and splicing of critical engine harnesses, TB relocation, compressor location not ideal, not cosmetically pleasing, lack of ability to create higher boost pressures, sheer weight, etc. *

I knew a centrifugal blower would be a better design for this vehicle because of it's more compact design, ease of installation, greater power produced (more scalable), nicer appearance, etc. The roots blowers are INSANELY cheap....don't think I didn't try to make it work. In the end practicality won out over thriftiness.

#2. Why I chose the Powerdyne Supercharger for this kit.

Originally I didn't! This has been an evolving process and I've done my best to inform everyone along the way of obsticles I've faced and what I've done to overcome them. One of those obsticles was to make sure I could design something simple enough for a shade-tree mechanic with basic handtools to be able to install this in their driveway without modification. This means no taping of the oil pan, no welding, no cutting metal (unless you want the FMIC option), etc. I knew that I wanted a "self-contained" blower. The only two self-contained blowers I have found are Powerdyne and ATI's Procharger. I LOVE the procharger. It is an amazing unit and very possibly the best supercharger on the market today. However, procharger doesn't feel that there is any money to be made supporting the Protege community and was unwilling to negotiate with me at all on pricing. Just their headunit cost me $2100. This is obviously pricing me out of my target price. I continued looking. A friend of mine who is a semi-pro drag racer turned me on to Powerdyne. He has a 5.0L mustang with a powerdyne blower and after talking with him about it and driving the car and hearing it (or not!) I was sold. The powerdyne blower has a few advantages over other superchargers. They are self-contained so there is no oil lines or coolant lines used. They are less expensive than a similar Procharger blower. They are internally belt-driven, not gear driven. They make NO NOISE. Even under full boost with no hood on you can't hear a tell-tale supercharger whine. Since a recirc valve is used very little discharge noise is heard and with a hood on the car none is heard. Because they aren't lubricated or gear driven they do not add excessive heat to the intake charge. Powerdyne shows 20-30* above ambient temp increases on their 6psi Mustang kit. This is AMAZING considering a turbo will add about 150* WITH intercooling. There are numerous reasons why this is a great blower for the car and I've touched on some of the better ones and I'm sure they will be discussed later on.

#3. How do you address engine control and fuel management?

I have gone through several options these past few weeks all the while knowing that one was better than the others. FMU's and voltage clamps do what they're supposed to do but they are band-aids. Stand-alone fuel management is the only reliable way to control how your vehicle runs and guarantee performance gains and reliability un-matched by other devices that "trick" the car into doing something. I will be using and including the HALTECH F10X stand alone fuel computer with EVERY kit. This unit (including protege-specific harness and sensors) retails for $1100. If you subrtract the $310 I was spending on the fmu and clamp you add $790 to the overall parts cost. I have only added $200 to the overall cost of the kit. Those unfamiliar with HALTECH it's a safe bet to say that they have one of the best engine management systems in the world. This new unit is WINDOWS TUNEABLE making it much easier to adjust later. I will provide your base maps and you will need to dyno-tune to correct for a few variables I have no control over. The F10X includes, ecu, protege-specific wiring harness, 2 power relays, air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, com cable (for laptop), windows software and a users guide. The F10X can do amazing things such as (but not limited to) Turbo timer (not needed but neat), Torque converter control (for your auto guys), rev/speed limiter control, thermofan, intercooler fan, shift light, VICS control (uh-huh), auxillary fuel pump, traction control, etc. I could spend hours going over the depth and range of this unit but I won't. Just know that THIS is how you want to control and tune any forced induction car. (www.haltech.com)

#4. What other mods will I need for this kit to work on my car?

This is often overlooked when adding a serious power-adder to a vehicle. The rest of the system must be able keep up with all of the extra air you're now cramming into the vehicle. I will be creating the intake, Haltech will handle the fuel, stock ignition is plenty good enough. That just leaves exhaust. Right now my car has the OBX 4-1 header on and I have noticed that it opens up the engine bay a lot which comes in handy when installing this blower. Also, it allows the engine to breather a lot better than the stock exhaust would. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU UPGRADE YOUR EXHAUST TO INCLUDE A HEADER OF SOME KIND AND A HIGH-FLOW CAT (if you need it). I suggest the OBX header from protegegarage.com for those who do not have a visual emissions inspection. I suggest the Wagner header and DP for those who do have visual inspections. With a proper tune on the Haltech you will not throw a CEL with one cat and you will pass a sniffer test (again if properly tuned). I do not have any emissions testing here and sadly cannot pre-tune the ecu so you can pass emissions. This will either have to be done by yourself or a compitent tuner.

Aside from exhaust everything needed to make this run well will be included in the kit. Of course you will need to run a minimum of 91 octane unless you feel your tuning skills are THAT good. Also, the stock fuel system has been proven to hold well over 250whp with tuning. At this time I dont think any upgrades are needed to the fuel system.

#5. What happened to the front mount intercooler idea?

Intercooling became an issue when I was working on using the Procharger blower. ATI sells their superchargers with a small front mount intercooler because their blowers have internal gears and gear oil that get hot and add heat to the intake charge. This in turn makes the system less efficient and an intercooler is REQUIRED to keep the temps at an acceptable level. With the Powerdyne this is not a concern. Powerdynes are internally belt driven so they produce no additonal heat or gear whine. Also since they aren't driven by hot exhaust gas they don't add 300* temps to their charge. Another great feature of the Powerdyne is in case of failure. Eventually the internal belt inside the blower will break. This is not a big problem at all. Should the belt break while you're driving the car YOUR CAR REVERTS BACK TO STOCK. It will idle and run like normal with the only sideaffect being no boost. Now, should you insert an intercooler into the mix then engine will actually have to suck harder to get air in it will cause some slight driveability issues. Intercooler can be added and will most likely be an option at one set price (shooting for $650) for both kits.

#6. What additonal maintaince will be needed with a supercharger?

Better keep an eye on your tires!
evil_laughter.gif
Honestly, none. You will want to make sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape at all times but you should be doing this anyway! Powerdyne blowers contain 4 bearing packs and a drive belt. Typically these last for about 55Kmiles. At that time Powerdyne suggests a rebuild of the blower. I can rebuild the headunit for you with upgraded bearings and a full Kevlar GATES belt for about $250. After the upgrade the belt shouldn't need replacing for about 75K miles and the bearings should never need replacing again. Compare $250 every 50K miles to the cost of additonal oil changes, synthetic oil, octane boosters, etc that a turbo requires and it's VERY reasonable.

#7. How much power will this supercharge make?

Good question, don't know myself. Judging by similar products on similar vehicles I would (and used to say) about 170whp @ 7psi. This, however, doesn't take into account that the powerdyne is a much larger blower capable of much higher cfm flow rates. Doesn't take into account the Haltech engine management, doesn't take into account our larger 2.0L block (versus the hondas 1.6L), etc. I do not like to quote numbers so I will make a prediction: with haltech tuned by someone who knows what they're doing....93 octane...6psi....200whp. Not a problem at all. The inclusion of the Haltech increases the potency of this product that much more. Our cars are tuned horribly from the factory and band-aid fixes like resistors and vaccuum-based fuel adders don't tune it properly. Sure they work but not up to the level of this fuel controller. I will be shocked if I can't throw down at LEAST 180-200whp on the dyno. ... 9psi guys may wish to invest in stock in a tire company.

#8. Why does this require me to remove my AC?"

There are several important reasons why the AC has to come out. It's easier to understand if you know the first major rule of supercharging...the blower pulley has to be in a direct line of sight from the crank pulley. As with a turbo charger you are forced to mount the blower in a specific location so it can be driven by the crank. With a turbo it has to mount to the head at the exhaust manifold. Sure it can be mounted in a different location and a sub-standard header used to feed it but you sacrifice doing that. The same is true for a supercharger. I could've made 6 different brackets and idler pulleys and gear drives to mount the blower on the drivers side and still retain the AC. This is a very poor way to deliver power to a supercharger. The more connections you have between the crank pulley and the blower pulley, the less efficient you are. Now, why the AC compressor? Well, this supercharger is designed to increase overall driveability. Removing the powersteering pump severly hurts driveability. I understand about heat...trust me. We have 99* days here with 90% humidity and no wind. I like AC but not as much as I like boost. In order for the blower to be able to receive air and still fit in that same plane with the crank pulley it has to be mounted up top on the passenger if the engine bay. The ps pump is very tiny and neatly tucks up under the blower right near the engine block. This does 2 things. 1. it takes up less space that is used for the charge air and 2. placing the smaller ps pump up close to the block in the lower spot provides more "belt wrap" on the blower pulley to prevent slipping. Another thing to keep in mind is the belt routing. The belts and pulleys all have to spin the correct way pump properly. you cant just throw another pulley inbetween two pulleys without reversing their direction....now you've got to add ANOTHER pulley to correct that. There is very little space as it is. If it's any consolation Powerdyne was working on a 1.6L honda civic supercharger kit. It required removal of the ac also. Vortech had a big recall on their 1.6L and 1.8L honda/acura superchargers because the AC would kick on and destroy the drive belt. Their ac has to go also. Believe me when I say I'm not being lazy and taking the easy way out. Compromises have to be made somewhere.

This is all I can type right now. I'm going cross-eyed starring at this screen. If you have a question not listed above post it and I will make an addition to the list. I know I'm leaving out a lot.
Copied from orginal thread at protegeclub.com
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36077

Rism2k-logo2.jpg

Last edited:
Latest update from matty:
sorry guys, just walked in the door from a 11hr drive from Lake Eerie to Middle of Alabama...I almost traversed the entire height of our country today. I averaged about 28mpg in doing so also!

First things first:

HUGE THANKS goes out to the Bodde family who opened their home up to me and treated me so warmly. You would not believe their families generousity. Dave also has probably the nicest p5 I've ever seen. It's immaculate and has many custom pieces which he designed and created himself. He is a masterfull craftsman. You guys would be lucky to one day watch him work. I starred at him like a deer in the headlights as he explained to me the in's and out's of CNC machining and how everything was working together. His work speaks for itself and those rings are nothing compared to some of the pieces this guy has made. I was awe-struck. Truely. His family is so nice and welcoming. People of this quality are too few and far between.

Secondly, you wouldn't believe the lengths Dave went through when measuring and designing this stuff. I'm not joking when I say that we pulled a 12hr day and (2) 20hr days. Most of it was measuring and trial fitting. To give you an idea of what this would cost...52 hours of work at 75/hr + materials...that is $3900+materials. There is a LOT of detail in these pieces.

Thirdly, I drove back home today with the belt off and no ps. The pulley we made (6psi in the videos) was very slightly out of alignment with the crank and it would walk off the pulley and start slipping. That was the squeal you could hear in the videos. This is a very simple fix and I told dave I would ship him the stuff back so he could finish final details like radiusing the edges and reducing the weight of the brackets while still maintaining the strength. Once we are finished with all of the small adjustments the charge piping will be welded up and shipped to Wagners for mandrel bending. I can't wait! We're getting real close.

Fourthly, Everything shown was on our (estimated) 6psi pulley. I figure that 1psi per 1k rpms would be plenty for initial testing. It proves to be MORE than plenty. When we fired up the engine at 3K rpms the discharge air was blowing all of the tools around the workshop floor. Mind you it's also a 3.5" inlet and 3" outlet on the compressor.....if you can force enough air to move tools around out of a 3" opening you're blowing some serious air.

Lastly, I'm very tired but very excited to see/hear what you guys think. I'll stay up as long as I can to answer questions
Pictures:
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2928
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2929
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2930
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2934
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2936
http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2937

Videos:
http://womp.mazsports.com/media/womp-sc_vid_1.mov
http://womp.mazsports.com/media/womp-sc_vid_2.mov
http://womp.mazsports.com/media/womp-sc-how-hot-is-it.mov

Last edited:
This next Series of Q&A is direct from Powerdyne's website. I think they will give you a better overall understanding of how a supercharger works and why this is a great blower for this application. *credit given to powerdyne*

Q: What exactly does a supercharger do?
A: A supercharger forces additional air and fuel into the engine. This occurs when the engine is under full throttle or under load, not at normal cruise or most normal driving. A large displacement engine makes more power than a small displacement engine because it can convert larger amounts of fuel and air into energy. A supercharger allows a smaller engine to do the same thing but only when extra power is actually needed.

Q: What is boost?
A: Boost is the amount of pressure (in pounds per square inch) that the supercharger provides. The air that goes into an unblown (unsupercharged) engine is drawn in by the vacuum created when the piston goes down in the cylinder bore. This air goes into the unsupercharged engine at amospheric pressure which at sea level is 14.7 psi (pounds per square inch). On a blown engine the boost is the amount of additional pressure the inlet charge has over atmospheric that goes into the engine. So if your blower makes ten pounds of boost that means your inlet charge is atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) plus the ten psi of boost for a total of 24.7 psi.

Q: How much boost can you normally run?
A: Six to nine pounds (psi) is normally a safe level for most stock engines. Running more than this will usually require a reduction in compression ratio. Centrifugal superchargers, such as the Powerdyne, can typically safely run more boost than a roots type blower (GMC, B&M, Weiand, etc.) due to the fact that the pressure is created inside the blower instead of in the manifold. For additional information, see Internal Compression Superchargers.
Every engine is different and some engines are more tolerant of boost than others.

Q: How much compression ratio can you run?
A: Again, this can vary from engine to engine but a good rule of thumb with a Powerdyne Supercharger is you can run about nine pounds of boost on a 9:1 engine. If you have more compression ratio then you need to run less boost. If you have less compression ratio then you can run more boost.
In ideal circumstances you would like to have as much compression ratio and as much boost as you can run without detonation.

Q: How do you change the boost?
A: On any belt driven blower, such as the Powerdyne, you can change the amount of boost by changing the size of the pulley on the blower. The smaller the pulley the faster the blower runs and the more boost it makes.
Currently Powerdyne offers two boost levels, a six pound unit and a 9 pound unit.

Q: What is an "Internal Compression Supercharger?"
A: An Internal Compresssion Supercharger actually compresses the air inside the supercharger. It functions like an air compressor. The Powerdyne Supercharger is an internal compression supercharger. External compression blowers, like the well known GMC, and the B&M, Weiand, and other roots type blowers, are just air pumps. They pump air into the manifold and cylinders and the actual air compression takes place there.

Q: What difference does it make?
A: A lot. Internal compression blowers do not heat up the inlet charge to the same extent that external compression blowers do. A cooler intake charge means a denser volume of air per pound of boost goes into the engine which produces more power. This brings up an interesting point. Because a dense charge of air can have the same psi as a less dense charge of air, this means you can have two blowers that both may produce 7 pounds of boost but the Powerdyne internal compression blower making 7 psi of boost is going to make substantially more power than a roots blower making seemingly the same 7 psi of boost. Even though the pressure is the same there is less air in the charge coming from the roots blower. A roots blower has to make one or two more pounds of boost than a Powerdyne to offset this charge-air temperature difference.
For this same reason you can run more boost on a given engine with a Powerdyne blower than you can with a roots type blower. Usually one to two more pounds of boost.

Q: Doesn't running boost on an engine put more strain on the engine's parts?
A: Not necessarily. RPM is what kills engine parts. Typically, an unblown engine has to run up to 7,000 or 8,000 rpm to make any real power. At these high speeds you need a special crank, rods, pistons, rocker arms, valves, valve springs, and on and on. But a blower substantially increases power and torque at much lower rpm's. You usually don't have to run a blown engine over about 6,000 rpm to make maximum power. At these speeds stock engine components are usually more than adequate.
Additionally an engine sees maximum load on the components at the moment the piston changes speed from going up in the cylinder to going down. There is a commonly held theory, too complicated to go into here, that increasing the combustion pressure, which a supercharger does, actually reduces this maximum load when piston travel changes from up to down. Under this theory, at comparable rpm's a blown engine is easier on parts than an unblown engine.
In actuality, as long as detonation is controlled, you rarely have any engine failures with a blower.

Q: What happens if my blower drive belt breaks? How do I get home?
A: With a Powerdyne Supercharger if the blower drive belt breaks the car will drive exactly like it did without the blower. It will run perfectly normally. However blower drive belt breakage is very rare. These belts typically last for 50,000 miles or more.

Q: OK, you have convinced me that a centrifugal internal compression blower is the way to go. What makes the Powerdyne better than the other centrifugal blowers on the market?
A: Several things. Here's a list of the most important features that Powerdyne offers that the others don't:
1. A quiet positive internal step-up drive. All centrifugal blowers have a step-up drive inside them that causes the impeller to run at substantially higher speeds than the blower input pulley. This is because the blower impeller runs so much faster than engine speed that there is no practical way to achieve this speed with external pulleys. The Powerdyne uses an extremely strong cog toothed drive belt inside the blower to increase the impeller speed. This belt is very tough yet very quiet. One competitive centrifugal blower uses gears, which while they are as positive as Powerdyne's belt, can be quite noisy. Another competitive centrifugal blower uses a friction drive. While this system is quiet, it can slip under increased loads and when this happens internal damage to the supercharger usually occurs.
2. No external oil supply required. The internal drive belt used by Powerdyne requires no lubrication. All other centrifugal blowers require an external oil supply. Not only does this require extra work during installation it also adds heat to the blower which in turn adds heat to the inlet charge. As mentioned earlier in this FAQ, additional heat in the inlet charge reduces the density of the charge which in turn means less power. Engine oil, even with an external cooler, can run from 180 and even higher.
3. Unique impeller design. Other centrifugal blowers are running impellers that were originally designed forty years ago. Turbocharger technology in recent years has seen tremendous gains in impeller design and the impeller in a centrifugal supercharger is very similar to that in a turbocharger. The Powerdyne Supercharger features a state-of-the-art Hyperdyne Impeller which produces a cooler inlet charge (which means more power) and can also actually deliver more total air at a given blower speed which translates into more power and torque, especially at lower engine speeds. The combination of reduced heat in the blower as a result of no engine oil plus the reduced charge temperature because of the advanced impeller design adds up to substantially more power at a given boost level than in other centrifugal blowers.
4. Larger inlet. The air inlet on the Powerdyne Supercharger is 3-1/2 inches in diameter compared to only 3 inches on most other centrifugal blowers. The outlet duct is 3 inches in diameter while others are only 2-3/4, which permits up to a 77mm mass flow sensor with no modifications, and can be used with even larger units. These are very important differences because more air flow (which is possible with larger inlet and outlet ducts) means more power. And more power is what you get with the Powerdyne Supercharger system.<!-- / message -->

Last edited:
Will an OBX header be offered with the pruchase of the kit, since it seems it was designed for that header in mind?

BUMP:
new video added to 2nd post showing relation between header heat radiating to the SC

Last edited:
bumpity. Hoping to get everything back from DaveB early this week. Once I get it back I'll have more pictures and video for you guys.

Damn, that looks awesome guys. Can't wait to see the final product, as well as a final price for the GB, when it goes down. *subscribed*

This is something I need help with, but it will also be required by anyone who purchases your S/C...

I plan on removing my A/C & I haven't been able to find any info on it besides what MP5Jeff told me. I have the factory service manual, but I'd still rather follow a How-To from someone on here (as I do with most of my installs). Any chance that you could throw one together?

To stay on topic, I've heard people talking about a S/C for our car for a LONG time & it's awesome to see that all of the work that you put into it finally paid off. I can't wait to see one of these & what kind of #s they put down at the dyno & track. Nice work! (2thumbs)

Cool. I'd like to point out one thing though: You're freeing up more power by removing the AC. And you're replacing it with a smaller pulley. So overall, you still probably have a net power gain (over when the compressor is running)

It's gonna be fun getting an intake pipe on that SC inlet.

Also, is it me, or did it sound like the belt was squeaking?

Dino, yeah the belt would slip right around 4500rpms and cause some bad squeeling. This should be corrected with the new adjustments DaveB is making and with the fact that the pulley hasn't been coated yet and I'm not using a quality belt. The belt used was bought just to measure everything and hopefully get me home. It was a nasty $11 autozone belt. I'll be including Gates belts in the kit.

When it comes to AC removal you should ONLY have a professional remove the refrigerant from the system. It is SUPER cold and if it gets in your eyes, nose or mouth could possibly kill you. Once everything is drained the system is VERY easy to remove. It was all just un-bolted and removed. Nothing is cut, everything can be bolted right back in. I'm afraid I cant give you a detailed write-up now of how to remove the ac as mine was done by myself and in a hurry. I will provide full instructions though in the kit so no'one should have any problems.

p.s. The AC compressor is HEAVY. also the pulley on it is pretty large almost the same size as the crank pulley. The blower pulley is almost 1/2 that size but does have a little more drag. Just FYI we hooked it up to a 1/3hp electric motor just to see the blower spin and the 20yr old 1/3hp motor had no problems spinning the supercharger...I estimate we probably made 1psi or so. Don't let the "legend of belt drag" keep you from buying a supercharger. While it may take 5hp to spin up full boost it's adding back 60-100hp. I dont see the rub??

what kind of cost can one expect to pay to have a professional remove the AC and dispose of the freon?

you can EASILY remove the AC yourself. Like i said before it is very straightforward and requires nothing more than simple handtools and a 3/4" ford AC removal tool (about $3 from autozone)

It is my experience that any shop that can do AC work will drain your freon for free. There is almost no work invovled on their part and they get free freon (refirgerant) that can be used in a customers car at no cost to the shop but the customer will pay for the freon. This is a win-win situation for both.

So youre saying you can take out the AC yourself but then you have to bring that little cylinder behind the bumper to a shop to get the freon drained out? I think the freon is stored there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back