Woe Is Me

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Probably should seperate issues to proper forums but it is a package so present it as such. Took my 2020 Signature in for the 45.000 kilometer (28,000 miles) revision today and my car has turned into a beautiful woman...high maintenance! It needed it's fourth pair of rear break pads and third set both front and back. It needed both alternator and water pump belts and I was informed there was an oil leak between engine and transmission that would require the car be left with them for three days and cost more than $900.00US. This not to mention the sagging right rear wheel liner already posted elsewhere with a proposed cost of another $150US. This is all pretty discouraging as I used to crow about Consumer Reports A1 reliability rating for the 2002. Ain't crowing no more!

Probably should seperate issues to proper forums but it is a package so present it as such. Took my 2020 Signature in for the 45.000 kilometer (28,000 miles) revision today and my car has turned into a beautiful woman...high maintenance! It needed it's fourth pair of rear break pads and third set both front and back. It needed both alternator and water pump belts and I was informed there was an oil leak between engine and transmission that would require the car be left with them for three days and cost more than $900.00US. This not to mention the sagging right rear wheel liner already posted elsewhere with a proposed cost of another $150US. This is all pretty discouraging as I used to crow about Consumer Reports A1 reliability rating for the 2002. Ain't crowing no more!
1.) Based on other posts, sounds like you have alot of mountainous driving but you still shouldnt rub through pads that quick. Did you actually see these worn pads on the car before replacement?
I drive hilly areas and have more mileage than you with no pad replacement.
2.) Your belts should not be worn. Belts should last at least 60000 miles. I've had belts go over 100000 miles because I was too busy to change them.
3.) Unless you hit a rock or something, there should be no leaking and it would cost a lot more than $900 to fix that kind of damage. Did you ever notice oil spots under your car at home or work. Have you had to refill your oil and tranny fluids? Are they low? Did you check?
4.) You can do the liner yourself. See my post in your other thread.

It sounds like they are taking your money and you are being scammed.
I hope you brought your car home.
Do you have any local mechanics down there who you trust that can look at your car?

Last edited:
Dealer scam. You do NOT need belts and that leak is a factory warranty issue. The sagging liner is ALSO a factory warranty issue. You are well within the standard warranty, let alone power train warranty. I also highly doubt that you ever needed brakes that many times with those low miles. There is just NO way even in your setting. Go to an Indy mechanic for brakes to Inspect or another dealer and do not go back to that stealership ever again. To them, you have sucker written all over your face. You being a woman and being taken advantage of is deplorable.

Last edited:
Thank you fiiends yes good points and looking very fishy. Looks like it is time to quit using the Mazda Dealer and find a good private shop.
Except like wlong and tcchman mentioned, if you have warranty left see what they(or another dealer if there is one close) will fix under warranty for free.

Shouldn't the oil leak be covered under powertrain warranty?
Yes it should but I'm not sure what's going on.
Unless the dealer is trying to say the fender liner is tore up from rough offroad and infer that the oil pan/tranny got knocked and is leaking. OP really needs to check oil , fill if necessary, and put some cardboard under the SUV and see if it leaks overnight.
1.) Yellow/brown is oil.
2.) Pinkish/red or bluish/brown is tranny fluid color depending on which one Mazda uses. I haven't changed mine yet but think the newer Mazdas use blue.

This is outrageous. The oil leak (if it even exists) should be covered by warranty. The belts should not need replaced at such low mileage and has another mechanic looked to see if indeed brake pads are required. And have they really needed to be replaced so often in the past? The sagging liner if not damaged should be a quick and cheap (if no cost) fix. Please keep us informed.

I find it highly dubious that you would run through that many brake pads. I've owned my CX-5 for 10 years just about and 121,000 miles and haven't replaced brakes that often, and trust me, I lived in the mountains when I first bought it and still do lots of mountain driving in the summer. I agree, make them show you your brake pads and verify they are actually the ones from your car. I mean really...did you take it in because you felt the brakes were bad or did this just try to tell you you had all these problems when you went in for a routine oil change or something? Sounds like a shakedown to me.

As for belts, seems way too early for that sort of stuff.

And oil leak? Definitely verify your Powertrain warranty info for your region, but should be covered.

What is the factory warranty on a Mazda in Mexico? I couldn't find an answer on a quick look on Google. I went to Mazda.mx and built a 2023 CX5 Signature and noticed the first thing it asked about was an extended warranty of 6yrs or 125k for 5,200 pesos. Made me wonder what the factory warranty is. Is your car under the factory warranty?

Mazda Mexico 36 months or 60,000 kilometers. In Colombia where I am 36 months unlimited kilometers. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty.

Last edited:
Mazda Mexico 36 months or 60,000 kilometers. In Colombia where I am 36 months unlimited kilometers. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty.
what is the engine/powertrain warranty in Colombia? the oil leak would be covered under that

At 28K miles, your 2020 CX-5 Sig. certainly seemed to become a high-maintenance beautiful young woman...

But for $900 + $150 USD to fix all the problems you’ve mentioned in 3 days with OEM parts and factory-trained technician, I’d say it’s really a bargain comparing to the US.

Honestly I’m not really surprised for the problems on your 2020 CX-5 Sig. in Colombia. From what I’ve read, somehow Mazda has managed to become a poorer quality and reliability car brand from Japan in Asian countries such as China and Taiwan. Another Japanese car brand is in similar situation? Honda.

Last edited:
If you have enough money for retirement in Colombia, may be it’s time to find another reliable vehicle based on reliability reports in Colombia.

Back