Windshield replacement for 2016 CX5 GT w/Tech pakg

Well, I am not here to say Mazda has "weak" windshield. It is a piece of glass after all and it can break.

I was just very frustrated to have to wait this long for a replacement Windshield. There is NO 3rd party glass available at point. OEM only.

There are people who are very brand loyal (or emotionally attached), and would dismiss any unfavorable report/opinion. That is OK.
This thread is just to let new 2016 CX-5 owner know that there is a long wait on windshield currently, it will probably get better as time goes. 2015 Windshield is abundant.

Last edited:
Well, I am not here to say Mazda has "weak" windshield. It is a piece of glass after all and it can break.
I was just very frustrated to have to wait this long for a replacement Windshield.
There are people who are very brand loyal (or emotionally attached), and would dismiss any unfavorable report/opinion. That is OK.
This thread is just to let new 2016 CX-5 owner know that there is a long wait on windshield currently, it will probably get better as time goes. 2015 Windshield is abundant.
There is a history about my post for windshield issue on CX-5. Dismissing and defending any unfavorable report/opinion is fine, but responding with condescending comments that one doesn't agree with and accusing people making false claims based on his wrong assumptions with an attitude of superiority that I think is across the line.

I don't know if your insurance company paid for the windshield replacement. But even if our insurance covers the loss of replacing the cracked windshield, with high rate of replacement claims, the insurance premium for CX-5 eventually will go up for every CX-5 owner! If high rate of windshield replacement is actually caused by weak windshield installed by Mazda, I feel Mazda North American Operations should take responsibility to replace it, like Mazda in Taiwan is doing!

There is a reason why the part number of the windshield is different between 2016 and 2015 and prior. According to Mazda in Taiwan, Mazda has made the windshield stronger, hence the different part number.

I have found Mazda CX5 windshield glass the poorest quality in any vehicle I've ever owned. My windshield didn't crack but, appeared to have small specks of sand like material imbedded within the glass. The imperfections were very irritating when driving into the sun at certain angles. I took pictures and the dealer ordered a replacement. When we check the replacement, it also had the problem so they ordered another. The 3d windshield was better and marginally acceptable so that is what I have in my CX5 now. Ed

You know when I was at the dealer getting my windshield replace (+ SCBA calibration), the guy mentioned the 1st windshield has a big scratch and they have to pull a second one.

You know when I was at the dealer getting my windshield replace (+ SCBA calibration), the guy mentioned the 1st windshield has a big scratch and they have to pull a second one.

That's too bad, people don't seem to care anymore. Of course if it was scratched at the dealership while waiting installation they are probably not going to admit it (and the freight company is likely to play the same game)! Carelessness seem endemic these days and it pushes prices up for everyone (not to mention the obvious inconvenience).

I will commend you on accepting that glass is not necessarily faulty just because it breaks. I tried to count the number of broken windshields I've had over the years but I ran out of fingers. In the 1970's and '80's, common wisdom around here was to only replace it if the crack is in your direct line of sight. And that is what Washington State law required IIRC.

The same people who claim the CX-5 has a faulty windshield don't seem to be able to see the rather large rock impact near the lower edge of your windshield in the photo you posted at the beginning of this thread:
IMG_2501_zpsbt4owgjm.jpg

There is also misinformation being touted by the same person who claims Mazda Taiwan has admitted their windshields are sub-standard (in fact they said the opposite) and that they have decided to warranty impact damaged windshields (in fact they specifically exclude impact damage). What this goodwill policy amounts to is basically what the US warranty already covers (defective windshields that crack without serious impact damage). I have no idea what the standard Taiwanese warranty covers. All glass manufacturers occasionally produce defective glass panes with hidden internal stresses. In extreme examples simply tapping the pane with your finger could cause it to crack. However, no manufacturer wants to cover windshields that cracked because a large or high speed rock hit it. This is enough to crack even a windshield containing no significant internal flaws.

I really feel sorry about your double wait. The initial wait was bad enough but is not uncommon with new windshields that have recently been incorporated in a new model. Even the standard glass on the 2013 CX-5 required a wait before supply channels were well stocked.

I have found Mazda CX5 windshield glass the poorest quality in any vehicle I've ever owned. My windshield didn't crack but, appeared to have small specks of sand like material imbedded within the glass. The imperfections were very irritating when driving into the sun at certain angles. I took pictures and the dealer ordered a replacement. When we check the replacement, it also had the problem so they ordered another. The 3d windshield was better and marginally acceptable so that is what I have in my CX5 now. Ed

There is a movement afoot to make them weigh less and it is presenting manufacturing difficulties. Mazda's not alone in this problem. I've seen some far more expensive vehicles with windshield issues from the factory - distortions, imperfections etc

While I highly respect the Mazda company and their fine products, they need to fix this glass problem. The glass problem appears to be continuing without a resolve since the inception in 2013 to present. Companies with higher priced vehicles that have similar issues does not excuse Mazda. Ed

Well, I just got my first rock strike a few days ago. The wife, baby and I were headed out on our first road trip and not 30 minutes in, a rock bounces sideways across a lane and smacks my windshield in two places. Initially I thought it had cracked, but at our first rest stop I inspected it further and it had a small chip in two spots. I completed the road trip, and 1,500 miles later I took it to Safelite this afternoon for them to look at it. The techs agreed that the chip did not fully penetrate the first layer of glass and is unlikely to crack. They did say that if I see any cracking at all to bring it back right away. Since it made it 1,500 miles without issue, I'm hopeful it will not crack any further. I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure.

Not a mark here as well!

Hopefully my luck doesn't run out but my windshield is still spotless. I guess we'll see what this winter has in store for it though. I'm definitely familiar with dings as all of my Nissan products and the old Explorer have more than their share of repairs. Given a bigger rock I expect the Explorer windshield to look like the old game "Don't Break the Ice" :)

dont_break_the_ice_650x300_.jpg

joel1982-J.jpg

THIS IS PROBABLY VERY UNLUCKY BUT...(it's VERY unlucky to be superstitious) mine remains in just about perfect condition as well. We just had a LARGE storm here, with all kinds of "krap" flying around. Each "mark" I notice, just wipes away as in dirt! Pretty good for a soft windshield!
If you have been to Reno, it is a pretty small city...we wound up with over 17,000 people out of power from that storm, and the garbage that got into the air!!(nana)

Last edited:
The same people who claim the CX-5 has a faulty windshield don't seem to be able to see the rather large rock impact near the lower edge of your windshield in the photo you posted at the beginning of this thread:.......

I stated it was a rock hit from the beginning and with picture to show it. Never implied that my crack was manufacturing defect, someone along the thread bring up the crack windshield from earlier model which is not related to my problem. Unless you have Mazda stocks or works for Mazda. There is no reason to get so defensive. There are many things in the WEB, we just have to made up our own mind on what is valid what is BS.

The same people who claim the CX-5 has a faulty windshield don't seem to be able to see the rather large rock impact near the lower edge of your windshield in the photo you posted at the beginning of this thread:

There is also misinformation being touted by the same person who claims Mazda Taiwan has admitted their windshields are sub-standard (in fact they said the opposite) and that they have decided to warranty impact damaged windshields (in fact they specifically exclude impact damage). What this goodwill policy amounts to is basically what the US warranty already covers (defective windshields that crack without serious impact damage). I have no idea what the standard Taiwanese warranty covers.
If you assume I didn't see the rock impact, you're wrong! The same rock impact may have caused damage on CX-5 windshield, but may not on other stronger windshields! And if you think Mazda in Taiwan has decided to warranty impact damaged windshields but in fact they specifically exclude impact damage; not only you contradicted to yourself in your sentence, but also you're wrong again as you relied on Google translator to interpret the sentences of official announcement by Mazda in Taiwan for its CHANGE of warranty coverage on CX-5 windshield. Mazda in Taiwan actually changed warranty coverage on windshield replacement policy after CX-5 owner's protest for weak windshield, and will replace every cracked windshield unless it caused by traffic accident, collision, falling objects (not flying rock), or heavy impact, etc.! The rock impact like OP's windshield, would get replaced in Taiwan under revised warranty, no question asked! Good luck to get that windshield replaced under warranty in the US!

"自即日起,若CX-5車主前擋風玻璃產生裂痕(排除任何車禍、車身碰撞、墜落物或嚴重敲擊等影響),台灣馬自達邀請您儘速回廠 並提供相關資料作為調查依據,同時將安排免費更換前擋玻璃,"

I'm amazed, as a very knowledgeable person in this community, you keep questioning and attacking other posters' integrity based on your wrong assumption and false knowledge!

I'm amazed, as a very knowledgeable person in this community, you keep questioning and attacking other posters' integrity based on your wrong assumption and false knowledge!

Not this again!

First of all, I have never attacked your integrity except to say your claim that Mazda Taiwan has admitted their windshields were weak or substandard is false and you have failed to provide any support for your claim.

Ironically, the only "evidence" you submitted bragged that CX-5 windshields meet or exceed standards in all major jurisdictions (European, USA, Japan, etc.). Then you blame me for using Google translate without pointing out how Google mistranslated the Taiwanese text.

Good thing we have Google translate otherwise your attempt to re-write reality might have been believed by some people.

Not this again!

First of all, I have never attacked your integrity except to say your claim that Mazda Taiwan has admitted their windshields were weak or substandard is false and you have failed to provide any support for your claim.

Ironically, the only "evidence" you submitted bragged that CX-5 windshields meet or exceed standards in all major jurisdictions (European, USA, Japan, etc.). Then you blame me for using Google translate without pointing out how Google mistranslated the Taiwanese text.

Good thing we have Google translate otherwise your attempt to re-write reality might have been believed by some people.
If you think using Google can translate very complex Chinese sentence correctly, you're wrong again! I have made correct translation for you from part of official announcement by Mazda in Taiwan and you can compare your Google translation by yourself. You seem always play your way and are questioning and attacking other posters' integrity, here by saying I'm attempting to re-write reality and putting false information on this forum. Please find a Chinese lawyer who can help you to understand the official announcement prepared by lawyers from Mazda in Taiwan for its change of warranty coverage on CX-5 windshield. Once you truly understood the correct meaning of the announcement, then you can argue.

Mazda in Taiwan in fact changed warranty coverage on windshield replacement policy after CX-5 owner's protest for weak windshield. For those CX-5 owners, they won the protest and forced Mazda in Taiwan admitted there is indeed a problem on Cx-5 windshield hence they changed the warranty coverage! But Mazda in Taiwan is an independent entity and they don't represent Mazda Motors in Japan. They couldn't and shouldn't say the windshield is faulty in writing as this is not their position to say so. Not to mention the lawsuits may follow if they openly admitted the windshield problem.

Since you always avoid the questions you can't answer but always ask for evidence for the posts you don't agree, I'm still waiting for your "evidence" of your claims for the following:

When people said it took 3 months to get an OEM windshield for his 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech, and dealer told him there are 40+ back orders in the Midwest region (apparently due to high demand), you claimed: dealer screw-ups; now said the part is too new! (With your logic, we can't get any parts for our 2016 CX-5 then!)

When people said NHTSA data showed there're overwhelming number of complaints against CX5's windshield cracks comparing to other vehicles in it's class, you claimed: those complaints are just part of a disinformation campaign! (Mind you, ALL complaints are reviewed by NHTSA! You have to provide VIN to file a complaint. It's not like you said "it's really easy for anyone to file multiple false reports on the NHTSA website".)

When 22.15% of forum members had issues on "self-destructed windshield caused by stress fracture", you claimed: small percentage! (Please provide evidence showing that 22.15% is a "small" percentage!)

When people said Mazda in Taiwan changed its warranty coverage, now replacing every cracked windshield on CX-5 for free even if it caused by flying rock after CX-5 owners protested about the weak windshield, you claimed: this thing didn't happen; then said Mazda has never "admitted" weak windshield on CX-5; now saying "Mazda in Taiwan" has never "admitted" weak windshield on CX-5! You keep ignoring the fact that Mazda in Taiwan changed its windshield warranty due to weak windshield complaints!)

If you think using Google can translate very complex Chinese sentence correctly, you're wrong again! I have made correct translation for you from part of official announcement by Mazda in Taiwan and you can compare your Google translation by yourself.

I'm still waiting for your "correct" translation of the Mazda Taiwan press release....

When people said it took 3 months to get an OEM windshield for his 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech, and dealer told him there are 40+ back orders in the Midwest region (apparently due to high demand), you claimed: dealer screw-ups; now said the part is too new! (With your logic, we can't get any parts for our 2016 CX-5 then!)

That's a complete distortion of what I said.

When people said NHTSA data showed there're overwhelming number of complaints against CX5's windshield cracks comparing to other vehicles in it's class, you claimed: those complaints are just part of a disinformation campaign! (Mind you, ALL complaints are reviewed by NHTSA! You have to provide VIN to file a complaint. It's not like you said "it's really easy for anyone to file multiple false reports on the NHTSA website".)

I do see strong evidence of a disinformation campaign. The fact that someone at NHTSA reads and catalogs these complaints is not evidence the complaints are valid. Providing a VIN number to file a complaint does not validate the complaint - VIN numbers are routinely published on the web by dealerships and used car lots. It's easy to file a fake NHTSA complaint on the web, not sure why you think this would be difficult.

When 22.15% of forum members had issues on "self-destructed windshield caused by stress fracture", you claimed: small percentage! (Please provide evidence showing that 22.15% is a "small" percentage!)

Actually it was only 22% of members who took the time to click on the broken windshield thread and answer the survey. Given that the car has been out for 4 years now, that would be below the numbers I would expect for all cars on the road. Of my last 4 cars, 75% had cracked windshields within the first 2 years. Windshields break all the time. That's NORMAL.

When people said Mazda in Taiwan changed its warranty coverage, now replacing every cracked windshield on CX-5 for free even if it caused by flying rock after CX-5 owners protested about the weak windshield, you claimed: this thing didn't happen; then said Mazda has never "admitted" weak windshield on CX-5; now saying "Mazda in Taiwan" has never "admitted" weak windshield on CX-5!

Mazda Taiwan specifically EXCLUDED impact damage in their goodwill offer. It's true, Mazda never admitted CX-5 windshields were weak. That is your completely unsubstantiated claim. You are beating a dead horse and yet not bring any evidence to support your claims!

You keep ignoring the fact that Mazda in Taiwan changed its windshield warranty due to weak windshield complaints!)

I'm not ignoring anything. Mazda didn't change their warranty, they said specifically that the offer for owners to visit the factory for possible windshield replacement required documentation for their claim and that impact damage was specifically excluded. It was a goodwill PR gesture to respond to the Internet group of Taiwanese motorists that formed on the Internet. The Warranty is a legal contract and it remains unchanged. You will notice this only applied to Taiwan.(deadhorse

I'm still waiting for your "correct" translation of the Mazda Taiwan press release....

Mazda Taiwan specifically EXCLUDED impact damage in their goodwill offer. It's true, Mazda never admitted CX-5 windshields were weak. That is your completely unsubstantiated claim. You are beating a dead horse and yet not bring any evidence to support your claims!

I'm not ignoring anything. Mazda didn't change their warranty, they said specifically that the offer for owners to visit the factory for possible windshield replacement required documentation for their claim and that impact damage was specifically excluded. It was a goodwill PR gesture to respond to the Internet group of Taiwanese motorists that formed on the Internet. The Warranty is a legal contract and it remains unchanged. You will notice this only applied to Taiwan.
I've already translated the announcement for you correctly in post #32 and yet you simply chose to ignore it and kept making misinformation saying Mazda in Taiwan "specifically EXCLUDED impact damage in their goodwill offer" and in fact they do with a few exceptions.

Mazda in Taiwan actually changed warranty coverage on windshield replacement policy after CX-5 owner's protest for weak windshield, and will replace every cracked windshield unless it caused by traffic accident, collision, falling objects (not flying rock), or heavy impact (on purpose), etc.!

"自即日起,若CX-5車主前擋風玻璃產生裂痕(排除任何車禍、車身碰撞、墜落物或嚴重敲擊等影響),台灣馬自達邀請您儘速回廠 並提供相關資料作為調查依據,同時將安排免費更換前擋玻璃,"

I've already translated the announcement for you correctly in post #32 and yet you simply chose to ignore it and kept making misinformation saying Mazda in Taiwan "specifically EXCLUDED impact damage in their goodwill offer" and in fact they do with a few exceptions.

Even your translation excludes "flying rock". That's impact damage. (dunno)

Your original argument was that they admitted their windshields were weak. You still haven't posted anything that says anything like that. And nowhere does it say this goodwill offer was under the warrantee coverage - it's exactly what it says it is - a goodwill offer.

I guess I'm more impressed with your ability to translate Taiwanese characters into English than I am with your ability to parse the meaning of the English words. Very impressive, especially for a Texan! (wink)

Even your translation excludes "flying rock". That's impact damage. (dunno)

Your original argument was that they admitted their windshields were weak. You still haven't posted anything that says anything like that. And nowhere does it say this goodwill offer was under the warrantee coverage - it's exactly what it says it is - a goodwill offer.

I guess I'm more impressed with your ability to translate Taiwanese characters into English than I am with your ability to parse the meaning of the English words. Very impressive, especially for a Texan! (wink)
Huh? Please re-read the translation and I said flying rock is not in the exclusion. Falling object in Chinese is NOT flying rock, hence I put in between the parentheses. If you think all "impacts" are the same in Chinese, you're wrong again. The damage like OP will get free windshield replacement in Taiwan under revised warranty. I'd explained many times, Mazda in Taiwan has no position to openly admit manufacture's defect, but changed warranty coverage on windshield after the protest. This means they admitted the weak windshield problem and changed the warranty coverage. Every CX-5 owners in Taiwan knows Mazda in Taiwan admitted the windshield on CX-5 is having problems, hence the cracked windshield is covered unless under those exclusions. If you don't understand the complex Chinese, don't rely on Google to translate the meaning, especially the lawyer prepared announcement! And don't spread the misinformation based on your lack of knowledge on this part.

What's wrong with a person living in Texas who has better ability to translate Chinese characters into English than ability to parse the meaning of the English words? It's better than a person who keeps spreading misinformation in this community due to his lack of Chinese knowledge! Doing a personal insult has no place to be here, unfortunately you're good at it and frequently doing it!

Huh? Please re-read the translation and I said flying rock is not in the exclusion. Falling object in Chinese is NOT flying rock, hence I put in between the parentheses. If you think all "impacts" are the same in Chinese, you're wrong again.

I feel like you're being disingenuous. You added the part "not a flying rock" to "falling objects" even though it didn't mention a rock at all? Because rocks don't "fly", they are thrown, ejected, kicked up or dropped (amongst other things). And you added "on purpose" to the heavy impact even though it only spoke of hard impact? Who smashes their windshield on purpose? Even thieves know to break a side window because the windshield has a strong membrane in it that is nearly impossible to completely breach. Even if the meaning of the portion excluding hard impact meant "deliberate hard impact", why not just say "deliberate hard impact" instead of adding "not on purpose" in parenthesis? What are your credentials in the Chinese dialect used for business in Taiwan? Your translation raises more questions than it answers.

Doing a personal insult has no place to be here, unfortunately you're good at it and frequently doing it!

Personal insult? What are you referring to? (dunno)
Truly baffling.

Back