Windscreen washer froze 8-\

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Was driving 4 hours in winter storm (temp about 12F and heavy snowfall) on a 1.5K mi cx5, with factory washer fluid.
First two hours was an OK experience, having to keep pressing the rear window heater button (why do I have to do that btw? also I'm pretty sure my previous cars had mirror heating always on, not connected to rear window heating)
But then something strange happened - two hours in the front washer stopped working. That was painful, had to tailgate trucks to get window moistured by slush, pretty quickly front radar got blocked.
I blamed fuses, stopped at some plaza to take a break, but could hear the pump was trying to pump but it just couldn't. Cleaned the nozzles making sure nothing was blocking them, still nothing.
Amazingly after the break (about 20 mins) washer was running again. Most probably the engine warmed up some ice somewhere. And it couldn't warm it up while driving as it was getting blown on with 12F wind.
I got new fluid that claims freezing at -20F, and hopefully depleted the factory one.

Anyway, the question: is factory fluid crap, (which I hope is not true, since they should expect new cars to run in 12F) OR there might be something more to it?

Thanks

Don't know what to tell you about the washer freezing up. I would think that the factory would ship these cars with the proper level of freeze protection in the windshield washer. Perhaps the dealer added the incorrect fluid when they 'topped it off'?

These newer models don't have heated windshield washer nozzles, do they?

"having to keep pressing the rear window heater button (why do I have to do that btw?"

Why is because the rear window heating circuit is on a timer, as all cars with a rear defroster are. I've never seen a car with a rear defroster that didn't have a timer.

" also I'm pretty sure my previous cars had mirror heating always on, not connected to rear window heating)"

Likewise, I've never seen a car that had the mirror heating circuit always on. They always have some sort of switch to control them. Why would they always be on?

I've never had a vehicle myself that kept the heated mirrors on all the time. They are or have been tied to the rear window defogger as mentioned above.

The alcohol slowly evaporates over time from engine compartment heat and ambient heat which means that it's best to put fresh fluid for cold weather. Yes, that ww fluid the oil change place put in back in the summer time is now water.The depleted washer fluid is basically water and seems to settle in the bottom of the reservoir and freezes up and guess where the pump picks up the fluid. Can't pump ice. Every December I pump out (have small hand operated fluid extractor) the old fluid and refill with -25*F /-30*F fluid. And I make sure to use the washers a lot to keep fresh fluid in the lines so they don't freeze. That's my winter ritual to avoid the pucker factor from the 60 mph instant ice sheet on the windshield when using the washers.

I had the exact same problem occur with my 2021 GTR. We had a couple days of highs in the mid 20's and lows in the teens back at the end of December and the fluid froze up. Definitely disappointing. I've never had this occur with other new cars I've owned.

I had the exact same problem occur with my 2021 GTR. We had a couple days of highs in the mid 20's and lows in the teens back at the end of December and the fluid froze up. Definitely disappointing. I've never had this occur with other new cars I've owned.
Going on 8 years with the CX-5 and have had zero problems with the windshield washers freezing up, or any problems really (fingers crossed). The pump still puts out a good volume of fluid both front and back.

At the time the fluid froze up, my CX-5 only had 1900 miles, so it hadn't been serviced by the dealership since I bought it new. As soon as the temps went back above freezing for a few hours, it went back to working normally.

Chiming in here, I’ve had the same issue with my ‘21 CE Turbo. Washers do not work in extreme cold. I’m still on factory fluid, hoping that’s all it is.

The alcohol slowly evaporates over time from engine compartment heat and ambient heat which means that it's best to put fresh fluid for cold weather. Yes, that ww fluid the oil change place put in back in the summer time is now water.
If something evaporates it means it's not a closed system doesn't it?

Why is because the rear window heating circuit is on a timer, as all cars with a rear defroster are. I've never seen a car with a rear defroster that didn't have a timer.

Likewise, I've never seen a car that had the mirror heating circuit always on. They always have some sort of switch to control them. Why would they always be on?

I don't know why, you may ask BMW

I'm not sure about current bimmers but older ones had mirror heaters always on and no timers for rear defrosters. And I only started to appreciate that now :)

I don't know why, you may ask BMW

I'm not sure about current bimmers but older ones had mirror heaters always on and no timers for rear defrosters. And I only started to appreciate that now :)

I never owned a BMW so I can't speak about them. It doesn't make any sense to have these heating circuits constantly powered up but what do I know?

At the time the fluid froze up, my CX-5 only had 1900 miles, so it hadn't been serviced by the dealership since I bought it new. As soon as the temps went back above freezing for a few hours, it went back to working normally.
When my special-ordered 2016 CX-5 arrived my Mazda dealer, we were there and watching the New Vehicle Preparation before we took the brand new car just unloaded from the truck with 3.2 miles. Almost every fluid visible or checksble was low. Coolant was low, even the engine oil was ⅓ quart low from the Full mark.

Windshield washer fluid was low too and the tech put in plenty of tap water into the reservoir. I don’t mind the tap water as we don’t get freezing temperature very often in March. In fact, I usually use tap water to refill the windshield washer reservoir as I personally don’t like the blue commercial windshield washer fluid with chemicals spreading around the paint.

So your factory windshield washer fluid most likely got diluted with plenty of tap water during New Vehicle Preparation.

How does alcohol evaporate from a closed system. Through pores in the plastic container?

I had the same problem when we took a trip from Charlotte NC to upper Michigan in the winter. Wiper fluid froze up and I was tailgating trucks to get their road spray to keep the windshield clean. I figured that the dealer in Charlotte was not using low enough rated anti-freeze fluid. That was in 2015. Since then I fill the reservoir by myself with -20 fluid all year, and go up to Michigan, and Ohio a few times every winter, never had any problem since then.

How does alcohol evaporate from a closed system. Through pores in the plastic container?

I had the same problem when we took a trip from Charlotte NC to upper Michigan in the winter. Wiper fluid froze up and I was tailgating trucks to get their road spray to keep the windshield clean. I figured that the dealer in Charlotte was not using low enough rated anti-freeze fluid. That was in 2015. Since then I fill the reservoir by myself with -20 fluid all year, and go up to Michigan, and Ohio a few times every winter, never As for "closed system", I guess it depends upon one's definition. What kind of vapor proof/airtight seal do you think a plastic flip cap makes with the reservoir. Cooling systems and A/C systems are closed systems.
My view is that the plastic reservoir cap is not an airtight seal and that alcohol being volatile by nature is slowly driven out of solution by engine compartment heat.

I don't know where some of you who experienced this problem, but in some states like California, you can't buy any windshield wiper fluid that protects below 32℉ unless you're living in mountainous area. It's their LAW, go figure.

In California you only cannot buy the higher VOC (and thus higher polluting) windshield fluid as a diluted premix, you can buy concentrate anywhere. And the only places in California that get cold enough where you'd need it are the places where it's allowed to be sold. Go figure.

I had the same problem when we took a trip from Charlotte NC to upper Michigan in the winter. Wiper fluid froze up and I was tailgating trucks to get their road spray to keep the windshield clean. I figured that the dealer in Charlotte was not using low enough rated anti-freeze fluid. That was in 2015. Since then I fill the reservoir by myself with -20 fluid all year, and go up to Michigan, and Ohio a few times every winter, never had any problem since then.
If the system were sealed, how would it relieve back pressure? As fluid is ejected, it would create a vacuum and get more and more difficult to pump fluid out.

You'd hear the hissing inrush of air when you removed the cap to add fluid.

I always put temperature-appropriate fluid in the washer reservoir. Never had issues with the fluid freezing in our cold winter temps.

My 2004 Honda Civic's heated mirrors were operated separately from the rear defogger, with no auto shut-off. I prefer the Mazda setup with the auto shut-off.

If the system were sealed, how would it relieve back pressure? As fluid is ejected, it would create a vacuum and get more and more difficult to pump fluid out.

You'd hear the hissing inrush of air when you removed the cap to add fluid.
Don't most closed systems have a valve that lets air in while whatever is in it is being drawn out?

Back