Window Tinting

Getting estimates myself for my red MS3 tinting

I just got an estimate 0f $220 for full tinting on my red MS3. Trying to decide between 20% all around or 35% all around. The guy at the tinting shop said that he usually advises going on step darker on the rear window, or it tends to look too light in comparison. This kind of made sense to me until I saw the pics of elderlycoffee's silver MS3. He's saying he has one step lighter on the back. To me it looks good that way, very even. Now I'm confused!

viper368 said:
I just got an estimate 0f $220 for full tinting on my red MS3. Trying to decide between 20% all around or 35% all around. The guy at the tinting shop said that he usually advises going on step darker on the rear window, or it tends to look too light in comparison. This kind of made sense to me until I saw the pics of elderlycoffee's silver MS3. He's saying he has one step lighter on the back. To me it looks good that way, very even. Now I'm confused!

FYI ElderlyCoffee has 35% for the sides and 15% in the liftgate.

SwampAss said:
DSC01539.JPG

Very nice. Its not the darkest but I understand the law here in VA. Gonna get mine done just like that this weekend.

I am going 35% on back windows including hatch. No tint on fronts cause here in Illinois the cops go crazy for tint on front windows. But on my G35 I had 35% on front and had no problems.....so I just might go with it and see what happens.

Oh, that makes more sense

Thanks for the info, I guess I overlooked that correction on the previous page. That makes more sense then why it looks so even.

Hikaru9 said:
FYI ElderlyCoffee has 35% for the sides and 15% in the liftgate.

benzo said:
I am going 35% on back windows including hatch. No tint on fronts cause here in Illinois the cops go crazy for tint on front windows. But on my G35 I had 35% on front and had no problems.....so I just might go with it and see what happens.

Yea... I wish they'd leave us alone and work on more important issues like... catching bank robbers and what not (no offense to the bank robbers in the forum). lol~ j/k

My heart is 90% set on going with 35% all-around. *^_^*

Hikaru9 said:
Yea... I wish they'd leave us alone and work on more important issues like... catching bank robbers and what not (no offense to the bank robbers in the forum). lol~ j/k

My heart is 90% set on going with 35% all-around. *^_^*

I have contacted several places and they wont even do 35% all around. They will only do the 50% front like the law states. I talked to a trooper about my MSP tint and it was around 40% in the front %35 in the rear and he stated that they usually give + or - 5%. I never did get a ticket for those.

I had 35% on a rabbit GTI back in the early 90s. I got hasseled over it a lot and eventually scraped them. I'll go legal now or not at all. I don't want to have to pay for tint, and then pay fines for it afterwards.

SwampAss said:
I had 35% on a rabbit GTI back in the early 90s. I got hasseled over it a lot and eventually scraped them. I'll go legal now or not at all. I don't want to have to pay for tint, and then pay fines for it afterwards.

You got that right!

Tinting!

Man - the Police in your area must be suffering from a severe lack of crime to be "Window tint Nazi's" like that....

In Toronto - with my 35%/15% combo, i would be dumbfounded if anyone said anything about it...

I agree Hikaru9 - they should be catching back robbers - or at least ticketing those slow bastards sittin in the fast lane doin 10 below the posted speed limit.. (pissed)

VA is BAD BAD BAD for anything infraction related. Reckless driving tickets (or anything over 80mph (interstate is 65mph) are treated the same as DUI tickets.

Reckless driving in Virginia is a serious criminal charge with possible ramifications to one's career, security clearance, and insurance costs. Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor - in the same classification as a DWI charge.

As stated clearly in the Code of Virginia, the penalty parameters for reckless driving is up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines. Reckless driving also carries the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to 6 months.

16mph could mean time in the clink and a serious dent in your wallet. Not to mention no driving for 6 months to boot.

It's enforced by VA State Police, not as much by local constables.

Last edited:
Clink

Not to get completely off topic......

but that is INSANE!

Is VA inhabited by nothing but old gramma drivers that go to town hall meetings and vote 100% of the time?? hahahah

As an example - on 2 seperate occassions i have been booked doin at least 80km/h over the limit on the highways here.. [a criminal offence] and both times have been let off with a warning.

Judging by the laws in your hood - i think i would have been on deathrow for those little displays!

I suggest everone buy a Civc as it doesn't appear you need to go fast... :)

AND if you get caught street racing, they can impound your car and crush it.

Imagine that. $23,000 MS3 crushed. So street racing had MAJOR no no

46.2-867. Racing; seizure of motor vehicle.

If the owner of a motor vehicle (i) is convicted of racing such vehicle in a prearranged, organized, and planned speed competition in violation of 46.2-865, (ii) is present in the vehicle which is being operated by another in violation of 46.2-865, and knowingly consents to the racing, or (iii) is convicted of a violation of 46.2-865.1, the vehicle shall be seized and disposed of in the manner provided in 4.1-339 through 4.1-348 for seizure and forfeiture of conveyances or vehicles used in the illegal transportation of alcoholic beverages. Such sections shall apply mutatis mutandis.

The penalties imposed by these sections are in addition to any other penalty imposed by law.

damn here in florida cops dont really care to much. I have 5% all around on my P5 and i have never been hasseled about the tint before on my car even when getting a speeding ticket the cop never said anything about the tint.

5 per cent

Holy SH*^!

I have enough trouble with the 15%.... dd5...

You might as well have spray painted your windows black for all you must be able to see at night.

I bet it looks sick having the fronts that dark... post a pic maybe?

in delaware there is no limit to the tint u put on the rear windows, but you are not allowed to have ANY tint on the fronts at all.

that being said, i had 20% on my protege fronts and never got hasseled about it once, only time you will hear anything about it is during inspection or if you are being pulled over for something else and they happen to notice

I've always had 5% all the way around or 5% on back windows and 15% on front of all my cars. Cops pulling you over wont have any trouble seeing u when there spot light is on u. I have friends that are cops and they all say a tint ticket only going to be handed out if your a real jerk to them. but thats washington for you I'm sure other states are different

SwampAss said:

Agree 100%. I am probably going to go 50% all around. I don't want to give them any PC to stop me. Less than two full weeks in VA, and already ran into my first sobriety checkpoint. No problem, but police here, especially the state troopers, are almost as bad as my home state - Ohio.

Back